Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Holden undergoes surgery in US and will miss six months

+9
luckyPeterpiper
Angry Dad
Bolton Nuts
aaron_bwfc
Copper Dragon
BoltonTillIDie
karlypants
Culcheth_White
Hipster_Nebula
13 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Discuss.

Culcheth_White

Culcheth_White
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

I'm Not surprised, I'd be amazed if Holden ever plays competitive football again. I feel for the lad, he's been dreadfully unlucky.

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

As Hipster has lost his fingers to add the juicy info into his post, I will do the honours...

Holden undergoes surgery in US and will miss six months

Stuart Holden has undergone a second bout of surgery on his right knee in an effort to play again for Wanderers next season.

The midfielder went under the surgeon’s knife again on Monday night and now faces a gruelling six-month spell of rehabilitation before considering a playing return.

But the popular US international is refusing to throw in the towel on his playing career despite a catalogue of unfortunate injuries over the last three years and will also be backed by Wanderers despite his contract coming to an end this summer.

Holden was on the verge of a first team comeback when he broke down at the Reebok during a development squad game against Everton just over a fortnight ago.

It proved to be a recurrence of a cruciate ligament injury suffered playing for his country last summer, which had gloom-mongers forecasting the end of his distinguished playing career.

Holden had made his comeback bid at the earliest possible opportunity as he raced to get fit in time for this summer’s World Cup finals but paid a heavy price – a fourth serious injury since March 2010.

His nightmarish run begun with an x-rated challenge by Manchester United defender Jonny Evans at Old Trafford and has seen him make just one start for Wanderers ever since.

It is understood the latest operation will see his knee reconstructed using tendons from his hamstring.

Should all go well, Holden could be back training with the Whites by September, although Wanderers have also indicated that he would be offered a role in some capacity should his comeback bid stall. 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Will the US continue to pay his wages due to it being linked with his original injury?

Culcheth_White

Culcheth_White
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

BoltonTillIDie wrote:Will the US continue to pay his wages due to it being linked with his original injury?
I think the US will only pay his wages for so long, I might be wrong, but I think it's us that will now have to stump up his wages.

The first operation seems like a botched job to me.

Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

It's time to rip up his contract (if possible) and move on.

Do you know.... he was at MK Dons (Coil's last game) with the Burnley entourage in the FA Cup.

All ready to sign for Burnley.

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

For the love of god give it up Stu, surely all these ops on his knees are going to fuck him up in later life?

Another 6 months added onto what has already been near on 2 and half years of non competitive football - their must come a point to where he thinks is it worth it.

Culcheth_White

Culcheth_White
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

I know Ricky Gardner had at least 2 cruciate ligament injuries and he managed to play top flight football again, but with Holden, it just makes me wonder whether his knees are just knackered, he has also previously injured his cartilage in one of his knees, maybe his knees just can't take the strain any more.

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

Any more ops on his kness and the poor bastard won't be able to walk when he's past 40.

Bolton Nuts

Admin

Its all over for Holden now. Isn't his contract nearly up? Who would re sign him now?

https://boltonnuts.forumotion.co.uk

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

Times up.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Nothing to discuss Hipster. He's finished as a player. It's got to be accepted and if they want to give him a back room role then great but no way should he be getting any sort of playing contract. It's a shame for him, I rated him highly and think he's a really good lad and a fighter but this one is over.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Unbelievable that he was rushed back again.
I suppose if the USA were paying his wages they'd be inclined to encourage him to rush it a bit to bid for a World Cup place.
But this is a man's career and health at stake. Absolutely ridiculous.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Biggie wrote:Its all over for Holden now. Isn't his contract nearly up? Who would re sign him now?

Hipster Nebula FC.

aaron_bwfc wrote:Any more ops on his kness and the poor bastard won't be able to walk when he's past 40.

Agreed.

I ruptured my ACL, Medial Ligament and tore a piece out of my cartilage when I was 22.

I had arthroscopic surgery to repair the damage and went back to playing Sunday League football the next season.

I then repeated the injury and had to have another op.

I'm now 43 and am in almost constant pain between October and April.

Some days I can hardly walk and I haven't been able to kneel down for about five years. (Insert fat gag here.)

The only way round it is to have a full knee replacement, but they won't do it on the NHS because I'm only 43 and if I'm honest, I'm not sure I'd want one yet anyway.

Holden will be a cripple by the time he's 40 and he's in for a lot of pain ahead.

Shame.

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Don't knee replacements just have a 20 year life span?

At 43, I wouldn't be having one either if I'm honest.

That's why they won't do it and why I don't want one.

I'll just shut up and get on with it like a real man would........ :falltopieces:

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

I saw somewhere that it said 6-9 months... that would bring it to over 3 years without regular competitive football. That doesn't sound very encouraging.

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Keegan wrote:I saw somewhere that it said 6-9 months... that would bring it to over 3 years without regular competitive football. That doesn't sound very encouraging.
Even if some miracle happened and he could play again, I very much doubt he would be back playing like he did for us.

It's a real shame as he has a fantastic personality and a real get up and go enthusiasm.

Let's hope he can use these skills at BWFC some way or another! Smile

Numpty 28723

Numpty 28723
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

karlypants wrote:It's a real shame as he has a fantastic personality and a real get up and go enthusiasm.

Let's hope he can use these skills at BWFC some way or another! Smile
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum