Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Doncaster 1-2 Bolton

+13
Banks of the Croal
Bolton Nuts
Reebok_Rebel
Numpty 28723
Hipster_Nebula
BoltonTillIDie
Natasha Whittam
Norpig
wanderlust
scottjames30
Boggersbelief
bryan458
karlypants
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

21Doncaster 1-2 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Doncaster 1-2 Bolton Tue Apr 08 2014, 21:49

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

For once we can look at how many we should have scored but for wasteful strikers. Juke, Danns and Becks especially.
Nat wasn't quite right with "boring" - more a case of Dougie protecting a lead - successfully. Tough to argue with 22 points out of the last 33, but the last 2 games have underlined our lack of quality, despite winning.

22Doncaster 1-2 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Doncaster 1-2 Bolton Tue Apr 08 2014, 21:50

Bolton Nuts

Admin

Another classic win... Well done!

Quote of the day from Norpig...

Dougie Freedman, get in front then sit back and pray. It works.

Something like that, correct me if you can please.

https://boltonnuts.forumotion.co.uk

23Doncaster 1-2 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Doncaster 1-2 Bolton Tue Apr 08 2014, 22:23

Banks of the Croal

Banks of the Croal
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Listened to us win, second half sounded like we didn't do much.

Watched Chelsea win, thought they deserved to.

24Doncaster 1-2 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Doncaster 1-2 Bolton Tue Apr 08 2014, 22:29

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

All Hail Super Dougie!

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

25Doncaster 1-2 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Doncaster 1-2 Bolton Tue Apr 08 2014, 22:31

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Spot on from Freedman.

At least in terms of the first half.

26Doncaster 1-2 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Doncaster 1-2 Bolton Tue Apr 08 2014, 22:43

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Report: Doncaster 1-2 Bolton

IN BRIEF

Goals from Neil Danns and Joe Mason secured Wanderers a 2-1 victory over Doncaster Rovers at the Keepmoat Stadium.

The duo had fired the Whites into an early two goal lead, with David Cotterill halving the deficit shortly after with a well taken free-kick.

Despite a rally from the hosts in the second half however, Wanderers stood firm and held out for all three points in South Yorkshire.

TEAM NEWS

Dougie Freedman made one change to the side which beat Huddersfield Town last time out, with match winner Joe Mason taking his place in Wanderers’ starting eleven in place of Liam Trotter.

FIRST HALF

Wanderers started brightly with Mason chasing the ball downfield inside the opening 30 seconds of the clash, but Paul Keegan recovered well to dispossess the frontman and clear his lines with Lukas Jutkiewicz lurking.

Neil Danns was next to trouble the Rovers’ defence, with his looping cross into a packed penalty area only just being collected by goalkeeper Sam Johnstone.

Following such a convincing start to proceedings, it came as little surprise to those inside the Keepmoat Stadium as Danns fired Wanderers into the lead with a rasping drive from the edge of the area with just seven minutes on the clock after connecting with Alan Hutton’s smart cross.

David Cotterill enjoyed Doncaster’s first real opportunity of the game in the 11th minute as he thundered a powerful header towards the Bolton goal, but Adam Bogdan was alert and claimed the ball as his own.

Mason almost had a goal of his own moments later after Chung-Yong Lee found himself in space on the right hand side and whipped the ball into the box, but the striker somehow failed to connect.

Not to be denied however, Mason finally got his goal with 15 minutes on the clock as he slipped past the Doncaster defence before slamming home via the inside of the post.

Having struggled to break Wanderers down during the opening stages, the hosts suddenly found themselves back in contention as Cotterill halved the deficit with a well taken free-kick from just outside the penalty area with 18 minutes gone.

Jutkiewicz almost restored the Whites’ two goal advantage in the 21st minute with a looping effort, but a back-peddling Johnstone tipped the ball over the crossbar.

A breathless start to proceedings, there was to be no let-up in play as Jutkiewicz attempted an audacious half volley from all of 40 yards after spotting Johnstone off his line, but the goalkeeper was alert and placed himself well to deny him.

With the hosts clearly growing in confidence, Richie Wellens forced Bogdan into a smart save from close range with 11 minutes of the half remaining with a well-taken half volley.

As the clock ran down, both sides enjoyed chances with Paul Keegan’s volley off the crossbar almost bringing the Vikings level with three minutes to go until half time while Chris Brown’s header was collected by Bogdan at the death to ensure that Wanderers preserved their lead at the break.

SECOND HALF

Having finished the first period strongly, Doncaster almost snatched an equaliser with two minutes gone through Dean Furman who broke free of the Bolton defence, but a well-timed challenge from David Wheater denied him the opportunity to connect with the ball.

With confidence seemingly high and Bolton forced on the back foot inside the opening five minutes of the half, the Whites slowly began to creep back up field with Mason proving himself a nuisance in and around the hosts’ penalty area.

Jutkiewicz nearly added a third against the run of play in the 57th minute after Medo had won the ball back halfway inside Doncaster’s half, but the frontman couldn’t get the direction or power needed on his effort to test Johnstone.

Despite Doncaster enjoying the majority of possession and pressing Wanderers back into their own box yet again, the visitors still appeared dangerous on the counter attack with Chung-Yong Lee looking menacing for the Whites.

Having been forced to take on a more defensive role during spells of Rovers’ possession, Danns almost doubled his tally for the evening with 18 minutes remaining as he broke free and unleashed from distance, but Johnstone was equal to his shot.

Wanderers were looking solid at the back regardless of the home side’s dominance, with Dickov’s side being restricted to mostly speculative long range efforts including one from Cotterill which Bogdan saved comfortably.

David Wheater almost put the result beyond dout with seven minutes to go with a towering header from Chung-Yong Lee’s corner, but a deflection ensured that his effort skimmed agonisingly past the far post.

As the game entered its final few minutes, the home side were throwing men forward in their droves with Chris Brown’s diving header flying just wide of the post in the 88th minute of the clash with the Bolton goalkeeper beaten.

With five minutes of added time indicated, Jermaine Beckford almost cemented all three points as he broke free and fired past Johnstone’s upright with the travelling Wanderers contingent already celebrating.

FULL TIME

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

27Doncaster 1-2 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Doncaster 1-2 Bolton Wed Apr 09 2014, 00:08

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Freedman praises positive start

Dougie Freedman believes that Wanderers’ bright start in Tuesday evening’s 2-1 victory over Doncaster Rovers was crucial in the outcome of the game but also paid tribute to his side’s dogged determination to see out the result.

Goals from Neil Danns and Joe Mason inside the opening 15 minutes of the clash has Wanderers in a commanding position at the Keepmoat Stadium, with David Cotterill’s free-kick pulling the hosts back into contention with 18 minutes gone.

Despite a rally from the home side during the second period, the Whites held onto their early advantage to secure their second win in three days against Yorkshire opposition – a victory which Freedman admitted was fully deserved given their display.

“It was an excellent three points from a very tough game,” the manager said following the final whistle. “The way we started the game, imposed ourselves on Doncaster and created numerous chances – that is what has won us the three points.

“Credit to Doncaster, they adjusted and scored a wonderful goal which meant that we had to change the way we were playing to be more resilient in the second half.

“Towards the end, we had two glorious chances to have won the game by a few more goals and killed it off, but it was a deserved win and it was all about the first 25 minutes for me.”

With Wanderers missing the opportunity to extend their lead in the final stages of the clash, Freedman explained that although it was unfortunate that his side couldn’t put the result to bed, he was still pleased with their performance against a stubborn Doncaster outfit.

“We should’ve scored more goals but I can’t be too critical of the players because they played very well.”

He continued: “Doncaster are battling away for the manager and they won’t lie down until the 95th minute but we managed to take our chances still while defending our own box at the same time.

“Every game is a big game – a big game is when you have your fans paying to turn up at the Reebok and the way we’re playing right now, we’re looking forward to the game against Barnsley on Saturday.”

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

28Doncaster 1-2 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Doncaster 1-2 Bolton Wed Apr 09 2014, 05:33

carrs

David Lee
David Lee

We were not that good. If not for Wotsit name the outcome could easily have been different. Lucky to get through it without conceding another. DF papers over the cracks in his usual post match way.

29Doncaster 1-2 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Doncaster 1-2 Bolton Wed Apr 09 2014, 08:36

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Biggie wrote:Another classic win... Well done!

Quote of the day from Norpig...

Dougie Freedman, get in front then sit back and pray. It works.

Something like that, correct me if you can please.

that is Dougies whole ethos in a sentence, not quite what i said but yours is better!

30Doncaster 1-2 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Doncaster 1-2 Bolton Wed Apr 09 2014, 09:17

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

carrs wrote:We were not that good. If not for Wotsit name the outcome could easily have been different. Lucky to get through it without conceding another. DF papers over the cracks in his usual post match way.
It is annoying when the team gets a lead and us fans want us to push on and score a hatful, but it's not Dougie's way. He'll stick at it for a while, but if we don't make progress or the opposition start to threaten more (as was the case last night) he'll eventually pack the midfield. Last night it was Trotter who was brought on but we've seen similar substitutions before. Is it defensive? I'd say more cautious as I think he wants to retain an attacking threat but his priority is clearly to plug the gaps. Whatever, it works.
I guess there have been something like 10 games this season where we've been in a similar position i.e. protecting a narrow lead and since Dougie  patched up the defence I'm struggling to think of a game where the tactic hasn't worked.
It's frustrating and nerve-wracking but I guess if it works, any manager in DFs position would do the same.
Fact is that AFTER Trotter came on, Danns and Beckford both had gilt-edged opportunities to bury Donny - possibly the best chances we had all game - but they squandered them, so packing the midfield isn't necessarily as defensive as some people make it out to be.

31Doncaster 1-2 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Doncaster 1-2 Bolton Wed Apr 09 2014, 10:04

carrs

David Lee
David Lee

wanderlust wrote:
carrs wrote:We were not that good. If not for Wotsit name the outcome could easily have been different. Lucky to get through it without conceding another. DF papers over the cracks in his usual post match way.
It is annoying when the team gets a lead and us fans want us to push on and score a hatful, but it's not Dougie's way. He'll stick at it for a while, but if we don't make progress or the opposition start to threaten more (as was the case last night) he'll eventually pack the midfield. Last night it was Trotter who was brought on but we've seen similar substitutions before. Is it defensive? I'd say more cautious as I think he wants to retain an attacking threat but his priority is clearly to plug the gaps. Whatever, it works.
I guess there have been something like 10 games this season where we've been in a similar position i.e. protecting a narrow lead and since Dougie  patched up the defence I'm struggling to think of a game where the tactic hasn't worked.
It's frustrating and nerve-wracking but I guess if it works, any manager in DFs position would do the same.
Fact is that AFTER Trotter came on, Danns and Beckford both had gilt-edged opportunities to bury Donny - possibly the best chances we had all game - but they squandered them, so packing the midfield isn't necessarily as defensive as some people make it out to be.

What are you on about. Last night but for wotsit we would have been in trouble. Did you go and see it with you own eyes. 
Donny who are supposed to be worse than us by league position were unlucky due to wotsit not to get at least a draw, look closely at the game and you see how lacking we are.

Don't class me as one of those you say wanting us to push on and score more we didn't have a chance of doing that it more a case of hoping to hang on / waiting for Donny to finally get past a goalkeeper having a good one.

32Doncaster 1-2 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Doncaster 1-2 Bolton Wed Apr 09 2014, 10:51

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

carrs wrote:
wanderlust wrote:

What are you on about. Last night but for wotsit we would have been in trouble. Did you go and see it with you own eyes. 
Donny who are supposed to be worse than us by league position were unlucky due to wotsit not to get at least a draw, look closely at the game and you see how lacking we are.

Don't class me as one of those you say wanting us to push on and score more we didn't have a chance of doing that it more a case of hoping to hang on / waiting for Donny to finally get past a goalkeeper having a good one.
3 things about this.
Boggers flapped a bit last night on a couple of occasions and some commentators felt he should have saved the free kick - but it worked out OK in the end - and Dougie backed our defence and GK to keep them out. Risky but it worked.
Tactically he was inviting them on - but there is no doubt his intention was to counterattack. We had two situations at the end when we outnumbered them and but for greedy play by Becks and Danns we would have scored. If Danns and Becks hadn't f***** up we would have won comfortably. On one occasion we had 3 on 1 and still blew it.
Finally, if you think that we are supposed to be better than Donny because of league position, does that mean that you think all the teams above us are better than us? If so, shouldn't we be singing the praises of the manager every time we got a result against a higher positioned team?

33Doncaster 1-2 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Doncaster 1-2 Bolton Wed Apr 09 2014, 12:03

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Good points above.  My Opinion is that you can't consistantly invite on the other team.  It's worked for us lately but over a season you drop points doing that.  It's cost us another playoff push IMO.

34Doncaster 1-2 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Doncaster 1-2 Bolton Wed Apr 09 2014, 12:09

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

terenceanne wrote:Good points above.  My Opinion is that you can't consistantly invite on the other team.  It's worked for us lately but over a season you drop points doing that.  It's cost us another playoff push IMO.
True, but that's what he did last season when we had that run and it worked then. To play that way you have to have a lot of confidence in your defence and offer a breakaway attacking threat.
I wouldn't have trusted our defence to wipe their own arse's at the beginning of this season.
I presume that he bought Beckford to offer that breakaway pace up front which would be great if he could hit the damned target when he gets there.

35Doncaster 1-2 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Doncaster 1-2 Bolton Wed Apr 09 2014, 12:35

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

36Doncaster 1-2 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Doncaster 1-2 Bolton Wed Apr 09 2014, 12:40

carrs

David Lee
David Lee

wanderlust wrote:
terenceanne wrote:Good points above.  My Opinion is that you can't consistantly invite on the other team.  It's worked for us lately but over a season you drop points doing that.  It's cost us another playoff push IMO.
True, but that's what he did last season when we had that run and it worked then. To play that way you have to have a lot of confidence in your defence and offer a breakaway attacking threat.
I wouldn't have trusted our defence to wipe their own arse's at the beginning of this season.
I presume that he bought Beckford to offer that breakaway pace up front which would be great if he could hit the damned target when he gets there.

Worked at the end of last season and not carried over in the slightest way. Wait for the current loans to go home and start another season the same as the previous waiting for a loan window to dabble hoping he gets it right.
Great plan isn't.

37Doncaster 1-2 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Doncaster 1-2 Bolton Wed Apr 09 2014, 12:40

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Have to give it to the lad who scored for Doncaster, was a fantastic free kick!

38Doncaster 1-2 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Doncaster 1-2 Bolton Wed Apr 09 2014, 13:35

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

carrs wrote:
wanderlust wrote:

Worked at the end of last season and not carried over in the slightest way. Wait for the current loans to go home and start another season the same as the previous waiting for a loan window to dabble hoping he gets it right.
Great plan isn't.
Didn't carry over because our newly signed left back broke his foot and we had no back up, our forwards (Eagles, Cavies and SKD) had lost it and there's no future if you can't attack or defend.
It's true we can only hope he gets it right, but given our financial situation it's not a matter of it being a great plan or not - it's our only plan.
I'm just grateful that Dougie eventually managed to stop the slide before we were relegated - which most people on here were predicting just 3 months ago.

39Doncaster 1-2 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Doncaster 1-2 Bolton Wed Apr 09 2014, 13:35

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

carrs wrote:
wanderlust wrote:

Great plan isn't.

Worked at the end of last season up to the very last game against Blackpool when Doog had to tinker once too often ....

He did not learn his lesson and proceeded into this season with the start that has cost us again.  Now we will likey finish in mid-table mediocrity and the loanees going home and Doog still tinkering.  Where does it leave us for nex August?  I have no idea at this point.

40Doncaster 1-2 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Doncaster 1-2 Bolton Wed Apr 09 2014, 13:36

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

karlypants wrote:Have to give it to the lad who scored for Doncaster, was a fantastic free kick!
It was a cracker, but watching Danns slicing it towards the corner flag when a simple pass was on is cringeworthy.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum