Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Giving up the booze.

+10
MartinBWFC
luckyPeterpiper
Natasha Whittam
scottjames30
Bolton Nuts
Sluffy
Norpig
boltonbonce
wanderlust
Soul Kitchen
14 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Giving up the booze. Empty Giving up the booze. Tue 19 Aug - 14:16

Has anybody actually done it successfully?

I'm at an age now where "the morning after" and all that that entails, is seriously making me question whether "the night before" was worth it in the first place.

But I really like having a drink to unwind and can't imagine spending a Saturday night on the settee watching a film with Mrs B without a glass in my hand.

Is it worth trying to pack it in or will my inherent lack of self-control doom me to failure after about a week?

Has anyone else packed in boozing and is it worth it?

Cheers.

2Giving up the booze. Empty Re: Giving up the booze. Tue 19 Aug - 14:18

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

No, and won't until I'm told I'll croak tomorrow by a learned person if I don't.

3Giving up the booze. Empty Re: Giving up the booze. Tue 19 Aug - 14:20

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I have never succeeded in giving up drinking but I have managed to get it relatively under control - although given half a chance I will binge for England.

I can exercise control when driving and make an effort not to drink every night, but it is far too easy to start off with a relaxing glass of wine after work and who knows where that might lead?

4Giving up the booze. Empty Re: Giving up the booze. Tue 19 Aug - 14:26

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I like a drink. I also like cycling. I frequently combine the two with alarming results,although my latest mishap not related to drink but a rogue butterfly. Try giving up for two weeks just to see if you can hack it.

5Giving up the booze. Empty Re: Giving up the booze. Tue 19 Aug - 15:00

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

i've always had bad hangovers even when i was binge drinking 4 nights a week in my early 20's so i've just got used to them now.
I can never see a time i would stop completely to be honest, especially not now the wife bought me my own beer fridge for Fathers Day!

6Giving up the booze. Empty Re: Giving up the booze. Tue 19 Aug - 15:05

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

One of these would be nice.

7Giving up the booze. Empty Re: Giving up the booze. Tue 19 Aug - 15:19

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

I've given it up, sort of.

I'm still a social drinker but I don't tend to drink at home unless we have company.

Like you, the change over from drinking to hardly not was the cross over between how my body copied with it and for all the enjoyment I got (still get) simply wasn't worth the sickness I fell far into the following day.

Even the amount of what I drank (drink) diminished too.

Although never being a massive drinker I could cope with having 7 or 8 pints a night, without it having too bad an effect on me on the night and morning after, to having 4 or 5 now, making me feel woosey on the night and wreck me the following day.

Add on to that the stupid price of a pint down south, compared to how cheap it is in the local super market, how dead pubs are these days, and the worry about being possibly boarder line for driving the next day - and all the faffing about getting taxis just in case, all takes away from the enjoyment I once had.

At least my liver doesn't miss the hammering it once got!

Cheers.

:drinks: 

8Giving up the booze. Empty Re: Giving up the booze. Tue 19 Aug - 16:11

Bolton Nuts

Admin

A drink on a night out, but never at home. Just don't need it.

https://boltonnuts.forumotion.co.uk

9Giving up the booze. Empty Re: Giving up the booze. Tue 19 Aug - 16:16

You berate me for smoking a little weed when you're a borderline alcoholic! 

Outraged.

10Giving up the booze. Empty Re: Giving up the booze. Tue 19 Aug - 16:19

bwfc1874 wrote:You berate me for smoking a little weed when you're a borderline alcoholic! 

Outraged.

Are you just going to stand there and take that, Soul Kitchen?

I wouldn't.......

11Giving up the booze. Empty Re: Giving up the booze. Tue 19 Aug - 16:21

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Don't just pack in the booze, because you'll crave it and you'll end up miserable , but set one night or at weekend where you can have a jar or two, when i'm cutting up I don't drink for a couple of month when i'm juicing and its pretty shit,

But now i'm just normal training Mon to fri and I have a drink Saturday evening, and a curry or a Chinese its great.

12Giving up the booze. Empty Re: Giving up the booze. Tue 19 Aug - 16:25

What is this "juicing" of which you speak....?

Hope you're not on the Roids..........

13Giving up the booze. Empty Re: Giving up the booze. Tue 19 Aug - 16:42

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:

But I really like having a drink to unwind and can't imagine spending a Saturday night on the settee watching a film with Mrs B without a glass in my hand.

I think this could be your problem. Perhaps if you were sat on the settee with a Mr B you wouldn't need to drink.

14Giving up the booze. Empty Re: Giving up the booze. Tue 19 Aug - 16:44

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:especially not now the wife bought me my own beer fridge for Fathers Day!

She's your wife and daughter? Isn't that illegal?

15Giving up the booze. Empty Re: Giving up the booze. Tue 19 Aug - 16:48

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I haven't had a drink in just over eight years. I'd like to sound all holier than thou and smug about it but the truth is I had no choice. I suffer from Crohn's Disease and had to give up drinking altogether because even one pint made my guts ache for days and it turned out the part of my bowel that was removed was the part where alcohol or most of it was finally absorbed. Since I couldn't it reacted with the acid in my stomach and attacked the lining through the rest of my digestive tract. 

I didn't even drink at my wedding 'cos if I'd been ill that night Wendy would have killed me at the very least THEN she'd have gotten REALLY nasty.

16Giving up the booze. Empty Re: Giving up the booze. Tue 19 Aug - 16:51

Pete,

Given that you can't drink because of the Crohn's, you're unfortunately bound to a lifetime of folowing Bolton and you've just had a metal plate removed from your badly broken leg, where on earth does the "Lucky" in LPP come from?

17Giving up the booze. Empty Re: Giving up the booze. Tue 19 Aug - 17:07

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

One word mate: Children. I have two boys of my own and when my first wife left me they stayed with me. They've been the greatest single thing that ever happened to me and watching them grow up has been a privilege I know too many divorced men never get. 

Later on I met Wendy of course and her two lovely daughters are now as much mine as the boys are but I chose the username on the old BBC606 because I'd just "won" (I don't like that word in divorce courts because only lawyers really win there) residence and custody of my lads and it's stuck ever since.

18Giving up the booze. Empty Re: Giving up the booze. Tue 19 Aug - 17:15

MartinBWFC

MartinBWFC
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

luckyPeterpiper wrote:One word mate: Children. I have two boys of my own and when my first wife left me they stayed with me. They've been the greatest single thing that ever happened to me and watching them grow up has been a privilege I know too many divorced men never get. 

Later on I met Wendy of course and her two lovely daughters are now as much mine as the boys are but I chose the username on the old BBC606 because I'd just "won" (I don't like that word in divorce courts because only lawyers really win there) residence and custody of my lads and it's stuck ever since.
Nice story that Pedro, kids can make or break you mate, unfortunately mine are half way round the world, and god I miss them and their mother, lucky is an appropriate user name mate, well done.

19Giving up the booze. Empty Re: Giving up the booze. Tue 19 Aug - 17:18

scottjames30 wrote:Don't just pack in the booze, because you'll crave it and you'll end up miserable , but set one night or at weekend where you can have a jar or two, when i'm cutting up I don't drink for a couple of month when i'm juicing and its pretty shit,

But now i'm just normal training Mon to fri and I have a drink Saturday evening, and a curry or a Chinese its great.

Im not comfortable with my taxes paying for your steroids.

20Giving up the booze. Empty Re: Giving up the booze. Tue 19 Aug - 17:23

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Good luck though Bread, you'll feel better for doing it, also on your binge day you'll enjoy it loads more.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum