Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Midfield signing was Plan B because strikers are so hard to get

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

There aren’t many positions on the pitch where Dougie Freedman would consider himself well-stocked but central midfield would surely be among the leading candidates.

Even when you put aside the injured Liam Trotter, the out-of-favour Josh Vela or Medo Kamara, who only returned from international duty on Friday, the Wanderers boss is still able to call upon Jay Spearing, Neil Danns, Darren Pratley, Chung-Yong Lee, or at a push, Tim Ream.

With that in mind, perhaps it is understandable that supporters met the loan signing of Owen Garvan from Crystal Palace with a certain degree of scepticism.

Casting no aspersions on the Dubliner’s talent – which has seen him rack up more than 250 appearances in the Championship – it just seemed that the need for attacking options, and in particular a striker, was more urgent.

What may surprise some fans, however, is that Freedman agrees.

For while the Whites boss has been roundly criticised for bringing in another player with Selhurst Park connections, he insists he is doing so with good reason. The two strikers he wants are currently just out of reach.

Garvan’s arrival hints towards a return to a five-man midfield in today’s clash with Sheffield Wednesday but Freedman says his former Palace charge offers something different from the players he currently has at his disposal.

“He is a different type,” he said. “I have looked at things and I think we need to make sure that Chungy and Mark Davies are getting more of the ball. Garvs is a good ball player, he is the right sort to put in there.

“With Liam Trotter being out for a couple of months and Medo out on international duty, I thought he could really help us.

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum