Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton quite big spenders over the past 5 years

+5
xmiles
Lofty_Love
Reebok Trotter
Hipster_Nebula
Michael Bolton
9 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Michael Bolton

Michael Bolton
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

I saw this transfer league table for the 5 years between 2006-2011, Bolton spent a net of £50m which is pretty impressive from the board. I never realised we spent so much. Man Utd only spent £51m in net transfers.
Makes interesting reading:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

And yet we're still at the bottom

LOL!

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Our average spend is 10 mill per season but the table only goes up to 2011. Megson had far more money to spend than Coyle.

Lofty_Love

Lofty_Love
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

I really like that site, makes for an interesting read

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

A very interesting table which does show that you can buy success but not always.

The second most cost effective team were Portsmouth who went bust.

Our figures were not helped by Megson. It's a pity Allardyce wasn't given that money to spend.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Having high net spend also suggests poor dealing in the transfer market e.g. not getting a high resale value for players and not bringing through academy players and selling them on. I've also thought we've paid over the odds for players in recent years however we aren't the most attractive proposition so we could expect a premium whereas the likes of Manu and Chelsea could probably get bargains at the lower end.
Allardyce did buy some crap and was given the licence to experiment with the likes of Jardel, Braaten and a string of other unmentionables who killed us with their wages. It's not surprising OC is on an economy drive.

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

You can't blame Allardyce for Braaten, he was signed by Lee.

Sam didn't always get it right, but he did make some inspired signings for us and his ratio of good to bad signings has to be the best we have seen at Bolton. He also had very little money to spend.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Not a patch on earlier managers like Rioch et al for making astute buys and selling on for a considerable profit.

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Rioch was good but he didn't achieve as much as Allardyce. Selling players at a profit didn't keep us in the Prem.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

No but it got us there and built the financial foundations which Allardyce was able to take advantage of.

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Allardyce is the best manager we have had since 1958 (when I started following Bolton as an 8 year old). The only two other good managers we have had are Greaves and Rioch although Todd had his moments.

I am trying to keep an open mind about Coyle but at the moment I would rate Todd as better..

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

It's often made out that Allardyce only brought in players that were at the end of their career and had little to no residual value. This is a point Megson likes to play on and it's unfair.

Anelka went for twice his purchase price, Faye went for a few million (approximately what he cost), Ben Haim cost nowt but was arguably a £5m+ player when he went to Chelsea as a Bosman, Al-Habsi cost nowt and went to Wigan for £4m, Meite went to West Brom for twice his purchase price, we got our money back on Diouf and he was arguably worth more than Sunderland paid for him, we got over £2-3m for Jaidi who cost nowt, there have been times where Davies has been linked with up to £10m moves to other clubs.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

xmiles wrote:Allardyce is the best manager we have had since 1958 (when I started following Bolton as an 8 year old). The only two other good managers we have had are Greaves and Rioch although Todd had his moments.

I am trying to keep an open mind about Coyle but at the moment I would rate Todd as better..

Jimmy Armfield was the best Bolton manager for me in the same time-span.

He predated Allardyce by bringing in fading 'stars' like Peter Thompson and Tony Dunne on frees and brought the youths through - Paul Jones, Peter Reid, Sam Allardyce.

Armfield went on to manager the best club in the country at the time and won the then equivalent of the Champions League - except for the bent ref (allegedly!).

Bruce never really did it at the very top with Arsenal - but he did sign Bergkamp

Allardyce although a proven Premier League manager has not done better elsewhere than he did with us and that similarly applys to Ian Greaves.

All four are Bolton legends though.

You probably already know my opinion of Owen Coyle!

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

I will concede that Armfield deserves credit for what he did. I have to admit that I was into a lot of other things back then (1971-74) and football wasn't quite so important to me. Now I'm past it and don't appear to have quite such an active life it seems to matter so much more. Crying or Very sad

chipbutty

chipbutty
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

Reebok Trotter wrote:Our average spend is 10 mill per season but the table only goes up to 2011. Megson had far more money to spend than Coyle.

I haven't got the figures and can't be bothered to look them up but I find it hard to believe that we have been spending £10mill. (after selling players) per season. Someone mentioned the high wages that SA paid, well that's what the £40mill Sky money is for.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

chipbutty wrote:Someone mentioned the high wages that SA paid, well that's what the £40mill Sky money is for.

Very true.

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

According to my research, this is the club's annual wage bill for Allardyce's final season, and the following three:

End of 2006/2007 - £30,700,000
End of 2007/2008 - £39,033,000
End of 2008/2009 - £40,900,000
End of 2009/2010 - £46,400,000

I think £30m put us 15th in the league of PL annual wage bills.

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Thanks doffcocker. Your stats show that it wasn't Allardyce who spent large amounts on salaries but Lee and of course Megson.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum