Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Neil Lennon plotting contract talks with top stars

+2
Natasha Whittam
karlypants
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Neil Lennon plans to tackle “contract problems” at Wanderers in the coming weeks in an effort to hold on to some key first team players.

Several established senior stars could walk away for nothing next summer, or open talks with other clubs from the start of next month.

Notable names on the list include Chung-Yong Lee, Matt Mills, Andy Lonergan, Adam Bogdan, Neil Danns, Craig Davies, Josh Vela and Darren Pratley.

Lennon says he has already had preliminary discussions with a couple of players but admits he cannot invest too much time and energy on contract matters until the club’s league position is improved.

But the prospect of losing some of the names who have established themselves on the team-sheet in his early days at the club is nagging away at the Northern Irishman, and he is now looking to address the situation as quickly as he can.

“I have been giving it some thought,” he told The Bolton News. “We’ve spoken to one or two individuals about their position and we’re waiting on those players coming back to us.

“There are some big players on that list. At the minute I think we should be concentrating on the football but it is important to have a look at things going forward to next season.”

Wanderers have six games remaining in 2014, three at home and three away. They are finishing the year strongly having lost just twice since Lennon replaced Dougie Freedman in mid-October.

They remain 21st in the table, however, hovering above the relegation zone on goal difference, so have little margin for error.

It seems unlikely the Whites will add to their squad before today’s loan deadline, with the manager happy to continue assessing his players until the transfer window reopens.

Eidur Gudjohnsen would be allowed to sign for the club at any time, as he is currently a free agent.

Lennon has no complaints about the attitude or performances of the players who are coming to the end of their current deal.

“They are playing brilliantly at the moment, I wonder why?” he joked. “No, it’s not an issue for me.

“At the moment I want to address the position we’re in. But there are contract problems on that front that we need to deal with too.”

Source

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

karlypants wrote:

Notable names on the list include Chung-Yong Lee, Matt Mills, Andy Lonergan, Adam Bogdan, Neil Danns, Craig Davies, Josh Vela and Darren Pratley.

I'd let Mills, Bogdan, Vela and Pratley go.

I can't believe Danns is out of contract already.

Our best defender, keeper and youngster this year then. Great.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc1874 wrote:Our best defender, keeper and youngster this year then. Great.

Mills our best defender? We've been shambolic at the back and Mills is an accident waiting to happen. If we're going to improve we need better.

Bogdan isn't very good, Lonergan is better.

Vela has been on the books for years and made about 5 starts. Why on earth would you offer him another contract? Haven't the Holden/Mavies situations taught you anything?

Every word of that is complete drivel, you deserve to be banned.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc1874 wrote:Every word of that is complete drivel, you deserve to be banned.

You're basing your judgement on the last few games.

Do you honestly think Mills has been a good player?

Do you rate Bogdan higher than Lonergan?

Would you honestly give a new contract to a player who spent 90% of his last contract injured?

Good job you're not our manager. I bet you'd be getting Pratley to sign on the dotted line right now.

I'm basing my judgement on the past 12 months or so. All of them have shown big improvement and you don't let players go as soon as they start to fulfil their potential.

It's stupidity like that that's cost us top fees for the likes of Elmander and Cahill in recent years, you're a disgrace to business women everywhere.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc1874 wrote:I'm basing my judgement on the past 12 months or so. All of them have shown big improvement and you don't let players go as soon as they start to fulfil their potential.

It's stupidity like that that's cost us top fees for the likes of Elmander and Cahill in recent years, you're a disgrace to business women everywhere.

Elmander was shit from start to finish. He played well for 2 months when Holden was on fire.

You're a joke, you're basically ignoring the last 3 years of Mills being utter shit, and saying he deserves a new contract because he's done ok (and only ok) for 5 or 6 games.

Bogdan hasn't even played for ages, and was dropped when he last did!

Vela is injury prone, his form/ability is not the issue.

You're a tit.

You're confusing yourself and getting a bit mixed up, it's a bit sad really you used to be a respected poster on here. Let me explain -

You claim Vela's ability isn't the issue? But before the last 5 or 6 games you said he was utter shite, purely based on your dads opinion at Leicester a couple of seasons ago. One injury doesn't make him injury prone, you don't let a player go just as he's showing his best form. 

Bogdan on the other hand has been very injury prone, but has shown big improvement in form. He's young for a keeper and looks to be getting better and better.

Mills has played well ever since Freedman changed his training regime, so around a year. Again you don't let a player go for free when he's on top form.  

Hope that's helped clear it up for you. If you spent more time watching Bolton instead of Chorley you'd probably be able to work this out for yourself.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'm not Mill's biggest fan but he has been a bit better recently, if he can control his urge to hoof it all the time that would help.
Danns only signed a one year deal this summer but we need to give him an extension as well as the rest mentioned apart from Pratley and Chungy. Pratley is not a good player and hasn't shown any of the form that he showed at Swansea, as for Chungy he will leave on a free for sure.

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958
Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!

Norpig wrote:I'm not Mill's biggest fan but he has been a bit better recently, if he can control his urge to hoof it all the time that would help.
Danns only signed a one year deal this summer but we need to give him an extension as well as the rest mentioned apart from Pratley and Chungy. Pratley is not a good player and hasn't shown any of the form that he showed at Swansea, as for Chungy he will leave on a free for sure.
You would give everyone an extension except pratley and Chungy? Pratley fair enough but if CYL would accept a contract you wouldn't give it to him would you not? I've either misunderstood you or you've gone mad. I'm not sure which.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc1874 wrote:You're confusing yourself and getting a bit mixed up, it's a bit sad really you used to be a respected poster on here. Let me explain -

You claim Vela's ability isn't the issue? But before the last 5 or 6 games you said he was utter shite, purely based on your dads opinion at Leicester a couple of seasons ago. One injury doesn't make him injury prone, you don't let a player go just as he's showing his best form. 

Bogdan on the other hand has been very injury prone, but has shown big improvement in form. He's young for a keeper and looks to be getting better and better.

Mills has played well ever since Freedman changed his training regime, so around a year. Again you don't let a player go for free when he's on top form.  

Hope that's helped clear it up for you. If you spent more time watching Bolton instead of Chorley you'd probably be able to work this out for yourself.

Vela has had three different injuries. During his 4 year spell at the club he has made 9 appearances. So you'd give a new contract to a player who averages just over two games a YEAR? Doesn't matter if he's Ronaldo, two games a year isn't going to influence our season much. I'm guessing you wouldn't risk it if you were responsible for the clubs finances and I don't expect Lennon to.

Bogdan, again injury prone, and while he may be young you could hardly say he's made progress since Jussi left. In fact, I'd say he's worse.

Mills is a donkey, everyone knows it, and while he has played better in recent matches we're not going to challenge at the top of this league with carthorses in the back 4. And he'll be on big money.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bwfc1958 wrote:
Norpig wrote:I'm not Mill's biggest fan but he has been a bit better recently, if he can control his urge to hoof it all the time that would help.
You would give everyone an extension except pratley and Chungy? Pratley fair enough but if CYL would accept a contract you wouldn't give it to him would you not? I've either misunderstood you or you've gone mad. I'm not sure which.

i would like him to sign an extension but it isn't going to happen, there is no way he will stay after this season, so yes you've misunderstood me Very Happy

Natasha Whittam wrote:
bwfc1874 wrote:You're confusing yourself and getting a bit mixed up, it's a bit sad really you used to be a respected poster on here. Let me explain -

Vela has had three different injuries. During his 4 year spell at the club he has made 9 appearances. So you'd give a new contract to a player who averages just over two games a YEAR? Doesn't matter if he's Ronaldo, two games a year isn't going to influence our season much. I'm guessing you wouldn't risk it if you were responsible for the clubs finances and I don't expect Lennon to.

Bogdan, again injury prone, and while he may be young you could hardly say he's made progress since Jussi left. In fact, I'd say he's worse.

Mills is a donkey, everyone knows it, and while he has played better in recent matches we're not going to challenge at the top of this league with carthorses in the back 4. And he'll be on big money.

Vela has had two injuries, one was a broken foot which is down to bad luck and nothing else. He's far from injury prone, he's only 20 years old so 9 first team appearances is pretty normal. Every time you talk about youth players you show how clueless you are, very few players break into a first team in their teens and become regulars overnight. It takes time and experience for most and even more so when they've had a couple of injuries like Vela.

We'll have to agree to disagree on Mills and Bogdan, I think we're better with both in the squad.

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958

Norpig wrote:
Bwfc1958 wrote:

i would like him to sign an extension but it isn't going to happen, there is no way he will stay after this season, so yes you've misunderstood me Very Happy
Oh ok glad to hear it. As you normally talk a certain amount of sense I thought you'd suffered a fit of temporary insanity. Very Happy

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958

bwfc1874 wrote:
Natasha Whittam wrote:

Vela has had two injuries, one was a broken foot which is down to bad luck and nothing else. He's far from injury prone, he's only 20 years old so 9 first team appearances is pretty normal. Every time you talk about youth players you show how clueless you are, very few players break into a first team in their teens and become regulars overnight. It takes time and experience for most and even more so when they've had a couple of injuries like Vela.

We'll have to agree to disagree on Mills and Bogdan, I think we're better with both in the squad.
1874 is right. At 20 years old Vela is far too good a young player to just let him leave for free. To put in quality performances whilst playing out of his natural position and having only just come back from injury is proof of his quality. Both goalkeepers could do justice in the team so to have a keeper of the quality of either Lonergan or Bogdan on the bench can only be good for competition and you're in safe hands when one gets injured or sent off and Mills has been arguably our best defender recently and has also chipped in with a few goals. To let him go for free would be just silly.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bwfc1958 wrote:
1874 is right. At 20 years old Vela is far too good a young player to just let him leave for free. To put in quality performances whilst playing out of his natural position and having only just come back from injury is proof of his quality. Both goalkeepers could do justice in the team so to have a keeper of the quality of either Lonergan or Bogdan on the bench can only be good for competition and you're in safe hands when one gets injured or sent off and Mills has been arguably our best defender recently and has also chipped in with a few goals. To let him go for free would be just silly.

Laughable. Coyle got slated for giving out contracts to shit/injured players, yet 1874 and 1958 would have us do it all again.

1874 seems to be suggesting there's a difference between Mavies and Vela's injuries - as though one is a ponce and the other was just unlucky. You're either injured or you're not. 9 games in 4 years is shit.

Mills is a lower end Championship player, hence why we are a lower end Championship club. If we want to challenge we need better than this donkey. Again, laughable that a few decent performances override 2 years of shit.

Bogdan will no doubt want big money, that's why we should be getting shut. That, and the fact he's a flapping shit.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'm amazed we're even considering contract renewals when we're deep in a relegation battle. What happens if we go down? Is Gartside aiming for £200 million debt?

Natasha Whittam wrote:1874 seems to be suggesting there's a difference between Mavies and Vela's injuries - as though one is a ponce and the other was just unlucky. You're either injured or you're not. 9 games in 4 years is shit.

Mills is a lower end Championship player, hence why we are a lower end Championship club. If we want to challenge we need better than this donkey. Again, laughable that a few decent performances override 2 years of shit.

Bogdan will no doubt want big money, that's why we should be getting shut. That, and the fact he's a flapping shit.

There is a difference between Vela's and Mavies's injuries. Vela's first was a broken foot, which is down to bad luck you can't train your body to avoid a bone getting broken.

The second was a ligament issue that had been long standing he didn't do his ACL as Mavies/Holden both have. Even if he had though, your logic seems to suggest that no player can ever play regular football if they've had such an injury and are therefore useless no matter their talent? 

As I said agree to disagree on Mill and Bogdan, I think Bogdan will be off to Europe unfortunately but I'd still offer him a contract.

White84

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Vela was told by Freedman he would never play for Bolton again this is FACT!
His mum is a dinner lady at a school in Salford where my sister works as a school teacher.
Vela could fit nicely in to various midfield roles especially the one currently left by Mavies.
Pratley could go he will be on Premiership wages when he signed from Swansea.
I'd keep Mills as otherwise we are left with just Wheater and Dervite.Unless Oscar Threlkeld plays in his preferred centre half position but that's a risk.
A win Saturday and we will jump right up the table.

Is it too late if Eidur signs to push for the play offs.Sparking celebrations in Bolton not seen since it was announced Natasha WHittam did not have Blue Waffle( Google the less informed) and many a chap sighed with relief!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum