Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

What is the point of Owen Coyle?

+5
Hipster_Nebula
largehat
doffcocker
gloswhite
xmiles
9 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1What is the point of Owen Coyle? Empty What is the point of Owen Coyle? Mon May 07 2012, 22:01

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Even if we stay up, and who can believe we will win at Stoke with Knight in for Wheater, what is the point of OC?

I am sure Sluffy can provide the stats but for well over a year we have been awful. Yes we have been cursed with some terrible injuries but what has OC done about it? Can anyone seriously defend his transfer policy over the last 18 months? If so perhaps they explain Kakuta, Tuncay and Sordell to me. Does anyone actually think OC knows what he is doing tactically? Does anyone think OC knows how to use substitutes? Please could someone justify bringing on Lee yesterday when he had Vela available.

Hands up all those who think we will bounce back next season? Please contact me by pm as I have a palace in London that I would like to sell you at a very good price.

Owen you are a nice guy but please just fuck off!

2What is the point of Owen Coyle? Empty Re: What is the point of Owen Coyle? Mon May 07 2012, 22:04

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Love the sentiment at the end Smile

3What is the point of Owen Coyle? Empty Re: What is the point of Owen Coyle? Mon May 07 2012, 22:25

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I spoke to an Everton fan yesterday who had no idea that most of us pretty much agree that he's a dreadful manager. Not because he had a strong opposing view, but because he's never been under any apparent pressure. For some reason (probably because he's a nice guy), people leave their negativity at the turnstile and it arguably does more harm than good...

because the only way Gartside's gonna even think about getting rid is if he ever has a mutiny on his hands. He's an anything for an easy life sort of chairman.

4What is the point of Owen Coyle? Empty Re: What is the point of Owen Coyle? Mon May 07 2012, 22:29

Let's face it, Coyle has had an easy ride. According to the radio commentary on 5Live tonight the Blackburn fans were throwing golf balls and shoes at Steve Keane when Wigan scored! We're only 4 points better off than Blackburn and while Coyle has taken some stick on the forums, he hasn't taken too much in the ground.

If Megson were in charge there would have been death threats by now.

If Coyle is out of contract it's the perfect time for the two parties to severe ties and move on. With so many new faces needed I just don't trust Coyle to find the right players.

5What is the point of Owen Coyle? Empty Re: What is the point of Owen Coyle? Mon May 07 2012, 22:34

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Gartside will wimp out of that decision I reckon.

6What is the point of Owen Coyle? Empty Re: What is the point of Owen Coyle? Tue May 08 2012, 00:09

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Gartside's record post Allardyce is very poor. Lee and Megson were disasters and although I welcomed Coyle initially he has been a failure. I think we will be stuck with Coyle next season until at least Xmas. He will waste whatever budget we have got on players he doesn't even play and retain the likes of Knight and SKD.

And the nightmare will continue.

7What is the point of Owen Coyle? Empty Re: What is the point of Owen Coyle? Tue May 08 2012, 00:26

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Megson wasn't a disaster.

8What is the point of Owen Coyle? Empty Re: What is the point of Owen Coyle? Tue May 08 2012, 00:33

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

He kept us up but he had more money to spend than any other manager we have had. Did he spend it wisely? Did he achieve anything?

I would stick with disaster as a description because all the forward momentum Allardyce achieved was thrown away under Lee and Megson despite a lot of money being spent. How would you rate Megson?

9What is the point of Owen Coyle? Empty Re: What is the point of Owen Coyle? Tue May 08 2012, 00:43

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I would say his track record on the pitch was pretty poor, he wasted quite a lot of money, and his public relations record was terrible.

Took over in January. We were 20th. Had best player (Anelka) sold over his head. Used most of the money to sign Cahill and Taylor. Kept us up. I would rate that first half season very positively.

I think his abysmal signings were Elmander and Knight.

But here's the rub - he signed our most valuable ever playing asset (Cahill) at a bargain £5m and through mismanagement (attributable to people at the club after he left) the club failed to cash in and make the £10m profit which should have been made, which is criminal, but not actually Megson's fault. In and amongst the foolish signings with no resale value - Elmander on a 3 year deal, Robinson, Knight, he also signed some players who the club could/should have potentially made a big profit on.

I'd have Megson back tomorrow as Chief Scout.

The football was pretty poor and defensive, but if he had taken us down in his full season I would agree with the original "disaster" comment. But he kept us up and left us where he found us.

10What is the point of Owen Coyle? Empty Re: What is the point of Owen Coyle? Tue May 08 2012, 14:56

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

purely from a personal point of view, Megson was a disaster for me.

Just everything about that "era" was horrid.

11What is the point of Owen Coyle? Empty Re: What is the point of Owen Coyle? Tue May 08 2012, 16:50

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

largehat wrote:I'd have Megson back tomorrow as Chief Scout.

I have promoted this idea before.

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

12What is the point of Owen Coyle? Empty Re: What is the point of Owen Coyle? Tue May 08 2012, 17:05

Lofty_Love

Lofty_Love
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Megson = the reason why we are in this situation.

I dont see it as he saved us from 20th.

he was appointed in October, plenty of time to keep the side we had then up, almost any manager could have done that.

People seem to forget that the season before Megson turned up we qualified for EUROPE.

A few terrible games with Sammy Lee (who had no proper managerial experience and should never have been promoted) and everyone seems to forget the quality that was in the side when Megson took over.

Making two very good signings of Cahill and Chungy doesn't compare to the amount of poor signings he made, especially in relation to their cost.

Anyone who thinks Megson did a good job with the money/squad he had must think Coyle is a god

13What is the point of Owen Coyle? Empty Re: What is the point of Owen Coyle? Tue May 08 2012, 19:44

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Lofty_Love wrote:Megson = the reason why we are in this situation.

I dont see it as he saved us from 20th.

he was appointed in October, plenty of time to keep the side we had then up, almost any manager could have done that.

People seem to forget that the season before Megson turned up we qualified for EUROPE.

A few terrible games with Sammy Lee (who had no proper managerial experience and should never have been promoted) and everyone seems to forget the quality that was in the side when Megson took over.

Making two very good signings of Cahill and Chungy doesn't compare to the amount of poor signings he made, especially in relation to their cost.

Anyone who thinks Megson did a good job with the money/squad he had must think Coyle is a god

You're spot on but why is Megson responsible for where we are now?

14What is the point of Owen Coyle? Empty Re: What is the point of Owen Coyle? Tue May 08 2012, 20:00

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It's sort of for me, Sammy Lee was 10 steps back, Megson was 1 forward and Coyle has been another 4 back.

Our problem started when Gartside decided not to take his time to approach a PROPER manager after Big Sam.

we were in Europe, with a established top 8 premier league team, with some good quality players, instead he decided to appoint from within. Similar to the Steve Kean and Terry Connor appointments.

shambolic and set us back years. Thats the reason we are where we are.

15What is the point of Owen Coyle? Empty Re: What is the point of Owen Coyle? Tue May 08 2012, 20:44

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

I think the cupboard was bare when Allardyce left us - the squad was past their best, they were on big wages with no resale value, the club had to wait until the next Sky contract kicked in before they had anything to spend, Anelka was going to be sold to balance the books a bit - and we weren't really an great prospect for better managers than the likes of Souness, Coleman and Megson - who I assume were the best of a bad bunch who we could attract.

16What is the point of Owen Coyle? Empty Re: What is the point of Owen Coyle? Tue May 08 2012, 21:21

Mallorca Trotter

Mallorca Trotter
David Lee
David Lee

Summed up perfectly Hipster...

After that decision we where selling the club to potential new managers as a relegation dogfight, not an exciting challenge with a top 10 club and Europe..

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum