Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Hail Darren Pratley

+5
Norpig
Sluffy
Reebok Trotter
doffcocker
wessy
9 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Hail Darren Pratley Empty Hail Darren Pratley Sun Jan 18 2015, 14:37

wessy

wessy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

After being written off, abused and considered useless about time we gave this lad some credit, powerhouse displays in midfield under Lennon scoring goals not only scoring but scoring with class.

The one at Huddersfield was bettered yesterday with a goal of sheer quality, he should be judged on his present form not his past?

2Hail Darren Pratley Empty Re: Hail Darren Pratley Sun Jan 18 2015, 14:50

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Pratley has been great, there's no doubt about it. I'd like to think he's proved everybody wrong once and for all but he had a period like this when Freedman came in, and eventually became worse than he ever was.

The club should think that through when they're offering him a new contract, which I think they will.

3Hail Darren Pratley Empty Re: Hail Darren Pratley Sun Jan 18 2015, 15:06

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Totally different player under NL. I suspect even Tigermin would agree.

4Hail Darren Pratley Empty Re: Hail Darren Pratley Sun Jan 18 2015, 15:17

Reebok Trotter wrote:Totally different player under NL. I suspect even Tigermin would agree.
His display against bury in the cup and then his recent performances.....they are like two different players

5Hail Darren Pratley Empty Re: Hail Darren Pratley Sun Jan 18 2015, 15:23

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

It'a all about getting the best out of the players natural stengths and abilities to me.

Pratley was a box to box player, with an eye for goal, when Coyle bought him - but with Coyle's never ending 4-4-2 team selection, with two wingers (and Knight and Wheater in defence) Pratley had no natural role to play in those sides.  We had 4 players attacking (two strikers and 2 wingers) a joke of a defence.  All the goals came from crosses from the wing - and the likes of just Pratley and Reo-Coker having to watch Knight and Wheater hoof the ball over their heads to Kevin Davies and thus have no part in the team other than trying to cover the whole of the midfield and defence.

Under Freedman it went the other way.

Quite rightly he had to plug up the defence but did so by playing two holding midfielders and still had no one to defend in front of the full backs - a job the Pratley seem to have to do.

Lennon now seems to be playing Pratley in the role he was successful for when Coyle bought him.

Football isn't a hard game to see what is going wrong sometimes.

Coyle was clueless, Freedman over defensive and much to deferential to other teams.

Lennon seems to have his head screwed on the right way.

If he can improve us more with his signings then I think for the first time since Allardyce that we actually have a decent manager.

Shame the others pissed away what we had built up though.

6Hail Darren Pratley Empty Re: Hail Darren Pratley Sun Jan 18 2015, 17:04

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

he finally seems to be showing the form he had at Swansea, where he made his name as a scoring midfielder. I hope it's not a case of him showing some form near contract time (like with Elmander) but at the moment he deserves another contract.

7Hail Darren Pratley Empty Re: Hail Darren Pratley Sun Jan 18 2015, 17:16

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

Some of his touches of the ball, particularly in attack, have been nothing short of sublime. His first touch to control and lift the ball over the defender to set himself up for a shot at goal was brilliant.

Last edited by Keegan on Tue Jan 20 2015, 19:44; edited 1 time in total

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

8Hail Darren Pratley Empty Re: Hail Darren Pratley Sun Jan 18 2015, 17:58

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Sluffy wrote:It'a all about getting the best out of the players natural stengths and abilities to me.

Pratley was a box to box player, with an eye for goal, when Coyle bought him - but with Coyle's never ending 4-4-2 team selection, with two wingers (and Knight and Wheater in defence) Pratley had no natural role to play in those sides.  We had 4 players attacking (two strikers and 2 wingers) a joke of a defence.  All the goals came from crosses from the wing - and the likes of just Pratley and Reo-Coker having to watch Knight and Wheater hoof the ball over their heads to Kevin Davies and thus have no part in the team other than trying to cover the whole of the midfield and defence.

Under Freedman it went the other way.

Quite rightly he had to plug up the defence but did so by playing two holding midfielders and still had no one to defend in front of the full backs - a job the Pratley seem to have to do.

Lennon now seems to be playing Pratley in the role he was successful for when Coyle bought him.

Football isn't a hard game to see what is going wrong sometimes.

Coyle was clueless, Freedman over defensive and much to deferential to other teams.

Lennon seems to have his head screwed on the right way.

If he can improve us more with his signings then I think for the first time since Allardyce that we actually have a decent manager.

Shame the others pissed away what we had built up though.

I completely agree. Plus confidence is a big factor in the way some players perform and Pratley has his confidence back now he is getting a chance to play in his natural role.

I admit I was always slagging him off before and we just have to hope he can maintain this form. I think the difference between him and Elmander is one of attitude. Elmander never really cared whereas Pratley seems a more genuine player.

9Hail Darren Pratley Empty Re: Hail Darren Pratley Sun Jan 18 2015, 18:47

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

People are getting carried away again. Yes, he's better than he was under Freedman, but it would be difficult to be any worse.

He was awful against Leeds and dreadful at Huddersfield.

I'd still get shut because he'll be on silly money.

10Hail Darren Pratley Empty Re: Hail Darren Pratley Sun Jan 18 2015, 18:49

Natasha Whittam wrote:I'd still get shut because he'll be on silly money.

Why not just offer him a contract on reduced terms?

11Hail Darren Pratley Empty Re: Hail Darren Pratley Sun Jan 18 2015, 18:51

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc1874 wrote:

Why not just offer him a contract on reduced terms?

He's a footballer, his ego won't let him.

12Hail Darren Pratley Empty Re: Hail Darren Pratley Tue Jan 20 2015, 14:15

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Pratley's been a revelation under Lennon and I for one am both astonished and delighted at how well he's doing now. 

I would certainly look to keep him; in fact I think he's becoming our most important midfielder and possibly our best player overall at the moment. Four months ago I would have sent for the men in white coats if someone had predicted I'd be saying that. 

He's definitely in his best position and playing in the right system to make the most of his strengths. His confidence is clearly sky high and he's clearly loving his football so I'd bet he'll jump at a new deal even if it's got no extra money in it. Unlike Elmander I think Pratley has a genuine feeling for the club and the manager and would be happy to stay despite the way people, myself included have called him useless and worse in the past.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum