Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Adam Le Fondre is back 'home' and a man on a mission at Bolton Wanderers

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Adam Le Fondre is out to show his dry spell at Cardiff City is just a temporary blip in his goal-laden career.

Wanderers’ loan striker has, quite literally, scored everywhere he has been.

Whether it was League Two with Rochdale or the Premier League with Reading, the Stockport-born striker has rarely struggled to find the net.

But that was not the case in South Wales – as after a dream move to join his boyhood hero Ole-Gunnar Solskjaer, his last six months have been anything but prolific.

“That's the only place I've not really scored goals and that's why I'm disappointed with myself and the way things have gone,” he told The Bolton News. “I've a reputation and not delivered what I set out to do.”

Le Fondre does have mitigating circumstances in South Wales.

Solskjaer was quickly despatched by the Bluebirds this season and while he continued as first choice under his replacement Russell Slade, the 28-year-old admits the style of football did not suit him.

“We played the kind of football that wasn’t really conducive to my style,” he said. “We weren’t creating enough chances for me, personally, or anyone apart from Kenwyne Jones on set plays. He’s like 8ft 4ins and bullies everyone.”

There was an air of resentment as Le Fondre described how he was told he was free to leave Cardiff on loan, hours before his last game for the club against Norwich City.

“It was strange as I've played a lot for Cardiff this season and I was more or less the new gaffer's first choice front man,” he explained. “So for him to come to me before a game and say, 'If you want to go on loan, you can.' I felt like he didn't want me anymore.

“He said he wanted me but to me it felt like he didn't.

“If he didn't want me to go on loan. he'd say, 'There's been an offer but it's been rejected.'

“But for him to say, 'You know what, if you want to go I'll leave it up to you,' set my cogs turning that he doesn't want me and he's not having me.”

Huddersfield appeared set to offer him a way out before Neil Lennon stepped in – allowing Le Fondre to move back to the family home in Stockport where his wife Amy and kids Amelia and Ariana had been based during his time in Wales.

“I think it was tough for my wife being lumbered with a newborn and a five-year-old,” he said. “She’d definitely say I’ve ‘come home.’

“My eldest has just started school and I missed a lot of family time being down there.

“Obviously being up north is a big help for me and the way we play football is so much more enjoyable for me now. It's a massive thing for me to get scoring goals again.

“I just wanted to come somewhere I'd enjoy my football and the gaffer has put a smile back on my face.”

The Whites need little reminder of Le Fondre’s predatory instincts. As chief instigator of last season’s Madejski Massacre, his hat-trick in the 7-1 win last January required some explaining when he first bumped into his new team-mates.

“Andy Lonergan gave me a bit of ribbing about it when they were showing me around,” he said. “But I’d like to do that to someone else this season!

“It was such a weird day as everything went right for Reading and a lot of chances fell to me and I put them away.”

Precious few footballing outposts have evaded Le Fondre in his incredible journey through the divisions. Of the 92 clubs in the Football League, he has failed to turn out against only eight: AFC Wimbledon, Newport, Cambridge, Fleetwood, Leyton Orient, Scunthorpe, Swindon and Preston North End thus far.

He has scored against 54 different clubs since netting on his debut against Bury 11 years ago in the LDV Vans Trophy – a goal he has since recorded for posterity.

“I’ve got that on video now, it is that old,” he smiled. “I got it for my mum.

“I have come through all the leagues and played at the highest level. It has been a rewarding journey.”

Le Fondre has scored twice against promotion-chasing Derby in his career but is yet to pick up his first win against the Rams in four attempts.

“My record isn’t particularly good,” he said. “I don’t tend to get the ball against them let alone have a shot. They’re a good team.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum