Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sir Terry Pratchett - RIP

5 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Sir Terry Pratchett - RIP Empty Sir Terry Pratchett - RIP Thu Mar 12 2015, 18:36

Sad news but it's been coming for a while.

Love his books and have done since I read The Colour of Magic when I was 13.

Brilliantly funny writer who managed to weave contemporary social commentary into his stories in a light-hearted yet thought provoking way.

Really sad to think there won't be any more Discworld novels now he's gone.

RIP Sir Terry.

2Sir Terry Pratchett - RIP Empty Re: Sir Terry Pratchett - RIP Thu Mar 12 2015, 18:40

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

RIP. He had been suffering with Alzheimers for some time.

3Sir Terry Pratchett - RIP Empty Re: Sir Terry Pratchett - RIP Thu Mar 12 2015, 18:46

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

RIP.
Never read a word he's written.
Strange how some writers go under the radar. Maybe I'll take a look at his stuff.

4Sir Terry Pratchett - RIP Empty Re: Sir Terry Pratchett - RIP Thu Mar 12 2015, 18:51

If you're going to try 'em, Boncey, start with The Colour of Magic.

It'll make more sense that way.

(Not that they're linked chronologically, it's just that the Discworld developed and grew with each book, so TCoM acts as a good starting point.)

5Sir Terry Pratchett - RIP Empty Re: Sir Terry Pratchett - RIP Thu Mar 12 2015, 18:54

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Cheers Bread.
Just a bit puzzled as to his genre. Is it SF? Fantasy? or a mixture of both.
Or perhaps it's wrong to attempt to categorize it at all?

6Sir Terry Pratchett - RIP Empty Re: Sir Terry Pratchett - RIP Thu Mar 12 2015, 19:00

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sorry he's dead, hated his books though.

7Sir Terry Pratchett - RIP Empty Re: Sir Terry Pratchett - RIP Thu Mar 12 2015, 19:04

Very hard to describe, if I'm honest.

The strap on the original cover of TCoM describes it as "Jerome K Jerome meets Lord of The Rings with a bit of Peter Pan thrown in."

It's set in a fictional universe and involves dwarves and trolls and shit as well as humans, but it's not "fiddle - dee - dee hippy bollocks".

Quite hard to describe it really.

Very funny in a subtle way, the word play's brilliant and the characters are wonderfully realised.

8Sir Terry Pratchett - RIP Empty Re: Sir Terry Pratchett - RIP Thu Mar 12 2015, 19:05

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It's utter nonsense. The Narnia books are a million times better.

9Sir Terry Pratchett - RIP Empty Re: Sir Terry Pratchett - RIP Thu Mar 12 2015, 19:06

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:It's utter nonsense. The Narnia books are a million times better.
:rofl:

10Sir Terry Pratchett - RIP Empty Re: Sir Terry Pratchett - RIP Thu Mar 12 2015, 19:07

Not biting - go away.

11Sir Terry Pratchett - RIP Empty Re: Sir Terry Pratchett - RIP Thu Mar 12 2015, 19:12

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hope there isn't a funny wardrobe involved Bread.
But I'm gonna take your advice and start with TCoM.

12Sir Terry Pratchett - RIP Empty Re: Sir Terry Pratchett - RIP Thu Mar 12 2015, 19:14

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:Not biting - go away.

I'm deadly serious, are you trying to say the Narnia books aren't brilliant? I'd say you were in a minority.

13Sir Terry Pratchett - RIP Empty Re: Sir Terry Pratchett - RIP Thu Mar 12 2015, 19:16

Good man.

No wardrobes but you will meet The Luggage.

It's a wooden trunk with hundreds of little legs, a bad temper and a mind of its own. It destroys anything in its path and can cause serious injury if you don't see it coming.

An obvious nod to the enormous, unwieldy suitcases on wheels that hit you on the back of the legs in queues at airports.

It's that sort of humour.

14Sir Terry Pratchett - RIP Empty Re: Sir Terry Pratchett - RIP Thu Mar 12 2015, 19:17

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Breadman wrote:Not biting - go away.

I'm deadly serious, are you trying to say the Narnia books aren't brilliant? I'd say you were in a minority.

No, they too are fantastic and I've still got them as well.

And I'm still not biting.

15Sir Terry Pratchett - RIP Empty Re: Sir Terry Pratchett - RIP Thu Mar 12 2015, 19:20

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I certainly enjoyed them,despite the Christian overtones.
Enjoyed 'The Screwtape Letters' too.

16Sir Terry Pratchett - RIP Empty Re: Sir Terry Pratchett - RIP Thu Mar 12 2015, 19:20

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:

No, they too are fantastic and I've still got them as well.

And I'm still not biting.

I've only read two Pratchett books but I found them to be description heavy and action light.

They wouldn't make my top 200 sci-fi books.

17Sir Terry Pratchett - RIP Empty Re: Sir Terry Pratchett - RIP Thu Mar 12 2015, 19:24

What would make the list then?

I'm genuinely interested, as I've read a lot of Sci Fi and am intrigued to hear your recommendations.

Pray indulge and enlighten us.....

18Sir Terry Pratchett - RIP Empty Re: Sir Terry Pratchett - RIP Thu Mar 12 2015, 19:30

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Slight pause while Nat googles 'Science Fiction Writers'.

19Sir Terry Pratchett - RIP Empty Re: Sir Terry Pratchett - RIP Thu Mar 12 2015, 19:39

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

boltonbonce wrote:RIP.
Never read a word he's written.
Strange how some writers go under the radar. Maybe I'll take a look at his stuff.

I'm in the same boat. I have a backlog of books to read but I will remember Terry Pratchett for the future.

20Sir Terry Pratchett - RIP Empty Re: Sir Terry Pratchett - RIP Thu Mar 12 2015, 19:40

boltonbonce wrote:Slight pause while Nat googles 'Science Fiction Writers'.

Edit: Slight pause while Nat googles "notoriously bad Science Fiction Writers so she can controversially suggest that their works are brilliant in line with her usual schtick."

Last edited by Breadman on Thu Mar 12 2015, 19:43; edited 1 time in total

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum