Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Wanderers loanees are released by Cardiff City and Sheffield Wednesday

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Kevin McNaughton has been released by Cardiff City, ending a nine-year association with the club.

The Scottish full-back, who had been the longest-serving player on the Bluebirds’ books, has spent much of the last two seasons on loan at Wanderers but had his second spell blighted by injury.

McNaughton broke his leg after catching a stray boot from Reading’s Jonathan Obita in the 1-1 draw at the Macron Stadium on March 3.

The 32-year-old played more than 300 games for Cardiff but was tipped to sign permanently this summer after agreeing a year-long loan for Dougie Freedman at the start of the season.

He moved his family to the North West but problems with form and fitness prevented him from getting a regular run in the Whites line-up.

McNaughton was told he would be released by Cardiff boss Russell Slade yesterday alongside striker Nicky Maynard and defender Danny Gabbidon.

Giles Coke, who played four times for Wanderers on loan from Sheffield Wednesday, has also been released at Hillsborough.

The Owls have released 11 players in total.

Source

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I'd like to see us sign McNaughton on a one year deal with option to extend if he's fit. He's a very good full back imo, one who could bring some quality to our woefully thin back line and allow Neil to put players in their natural position next term.

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

I'd just as soon use Threlkeld or White at RB.

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Keegan wrote:I'd just as soon use Threlkeld or White at RB.

I'd certainly like to see White given a chance to see what he can do. I've not been impressed with Threlkeld

MartinBWFC

MartinBWFC
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

luckyPeterpiper wrote:I'd like to see us sign McNaughton on a one year deal with option to extend if he's fit. He's a very good full back imo, one who could bring some quality to our woefully thin back line and allow Neil to put players in their natural position next term.
I got the impression that Lennon wasn't that keen on McNaughton, so I would be very surprised to see him go back for him.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

MartinBWFC wrote:
luckyPeterpiper wrote:I'd like to see us sign McNaughton on a one year deal with option to extend if he's fit. He's a very good full back imo, one who could bring some quality to our woefully thin back line and allow Neil to put players in their natural position next term.
I got the impression that Lennon wasn't that keen on McNaughton, so I would be very surprised to see him go back for him.
I can understand that but feel he could be very useful. He's an experienced pro who could really help White and Threlkeld (both of whom I suspect we'll keep) next term. I don't say he's a world beater but at this level he'd be a very useful squad player. If Neil thinks otherwise I won't argue because of course he's the manager and much more knowledgeable about these things than I but from where I sit McNaughton has some real value to us assuming he wouldn't cost a fortune in wages.

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

McNaughton can't seem to stay fit, though. All the loans we used this past season cost the club a pretty penny.

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

I was impressed with Coke at Brentford. Think he's got a poor injury record though so might not be worth it.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum