Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Eidur in China talks

+10
terenceanne
bryan458
Bwfc1958
Norpig
boltonbonce
karlypants
Hipster_Nebula
wanderlust
luckyPeterpiper
BoltonTillIDie
14 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Eidur in China talks Empty Eidur in China talks Tue Jun 30 2015, 08:16

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

EIDUR Gudjohnsen is in talks over a big-money move to China, according to sources in his native Iceland.

The 36-year-old striker is yet to be offered a new deal at Wanderers after spending the latter half of last season back at the club on a short-term contract.

It was expected he would extend his stay for a further 12 months ahead of next summer's European Championships after also regaining his place in the Iceland national team.

But he was not present at Euxton yesterday as the senior squad returned for the first day of pre-season training after reportedly holding talks with an unnamed club in China. .

However, The Bolton News understands a late return was already agreed with boss Neil Lennon.

Gudjohnsen may not have been back but fellow veteran Emile Heskey was back at Euxton, while Darren Pratley, Jay Spearing and Alex Baptiste were also in attendance.

And they were joined by two trialists in the shape of former Wigan, Tottenham and Stoke midfielder Wilson Palacios and ex-Crystal Palace forward Stephen Dobbie.

Palacios's arrival was expected but Dobbie's was a new face linking up with the team.

The Scot, who left Palace this summer after spending last season on loan at Fleetwood Town, is keen to prove to Lennon he can cut it at Championship level at the age of 32.

It is unclear whether he will be on next week's training camp trip to Austria, though.

Two other names linked with Wanderers are not expected to be joining.

Reports in East London yesterday suggested former Wanderers skipper Kevin Nolan had held preliminary talks over a shock return to the club where he spent 10 years, before leaving in 2009.

But a reported wage of £50,000-a-week and the current financial situation at the Macron Stadium mean any deal is highly unlikely.

Meanwhile, Icelandic striker Alfred Finnbogason has been given the green light by Real Sociedad to head out on loan next season but Spanish sports paper AS has reported he is close to sealing a temporary switch to Greek side PAOK in a deal worth one million euros, with an option to make it permanent.

The paper reports finances were again the stumbling block with Wanderers offering to cover a percentage of the 26-year-old's salary.

Closer to home, released Whites striker Craig Davies is being linked with a move to Wanderers' Lancashire rivals Blackburn Rovers as a possible replacement for Rudy Gestede who is expected to move on this transfer window.

Rovers are restricted to free transfers and loan signings under the terms of their transfer embargo.

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wanderers/bolton_wanderers/13360572.Eidur_in_China_talks/

2Eidur in China talks Empty Re: Eidur in China talks Tue Jun 30 2015, 10:50

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I have to be honest; I thought Eidur had already been offered a deal and signed it. 

But if he does go to China good luck to him. I just hope Neil's given the money we'd have paid Eidur to pay a talented youngster or two.

3Eidur in China talks Empty Re: Eidur in China talks Tue Jun 30 2015, 10:57

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Lennon can't have been in any kind of rush to hand out a contract to anyone, let alone Eidur seeing as there are still questions about the finances and the potential for a takeover - which could change everything.
Hope Eidur gets a good payday, but not at our expense.
And with Clough, Clayton, Madine and others already vying for possibly two striker roles plus chat about other strikers being signed, I'm not sure we need Eidur.

4Eidur in China talks Empty Re: Eidur in China talks Tue Jun 30 2015, 11:05

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

There won't be a takeover haha.

5Eidur in China talks Empty Re: Eidur in China talks Tue Jun 30 2015, 11:11

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I agree with Hipster on the takeover thing. As to needing Eidur, I think if we can afford his wages he'd be worth having for a year if only to benefit the likes of Clough. However if China can pay him more then I wish him well and wouldn't dream of begrudging him a well paid swan song in a place where the level of football isn't likely to be as demanding physically. 

Finally is Madine actually signed up yet? I know he's meant to be joining us but has it been confirmed he's officially our player from tomorrow or is it one of those "probables" we've seen over the last few years? I hope he's a definite even though it's gonna cost me at least a fiver and will cost me a tenner if it's officially announced tomorrow.

6Eidur in China talks Empty Re: Eidur in China talks Tue Jun 30 2015, 11:15

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Seriously gutted with this article!

Wanted another season with Eidur! Sad

7Eidur in China talks Empty Re: Eidur in China talks Tue Jun 30 2015, 11:31

Hipster_Nebula wrote:There won't be a takeover haha.

The Gartside consortium's bid is picking up speed, Middle Eastern backing.

8Eidur in China talks Empty Re: Eidur in China talks Tue Jun 30 2015, 11:41

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc1874 wrote:
Hipster_Nebula wrote:There won't be a takeover haha.

The Gartside consortium's bid is picking up speed, Middle Eastern backing.

Right... right.

9Eidur in China talks Empty Re: Eidur in China talks Tue Jun 30 2015, 11:55

Walt Disney's head has been awoken from its frozen state somewhere in a medical facility in Burbank, been grafted onto a donor body and he has expressed an interest in buying BWFC and ploughing 800 million quid in.

What........?

Everybody else was taking utter shite so I thought I'd join in.

10Eidur in China talks Empty Re: Eidur in China talks Tue Jun 30 2015, 12:03

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:Walt Disney's head has been awoken from its frozen state somewhere in a medical facility in Burbank, been grafted onto a donor body and he has expressed an interest in buying BWFC and ploughing 800 million quid in.

What........?

COYW

Eidur in China talks Tumblr_lpgonaillQ1qi3civo1_500

11Eidur in China talks Empty Re: Eidur in China talks Tue Jun 30 2015, 12:05

Breadman wrote:Walt Disney's head has been awoken from its frozen state somewhere in a medical facility in Burbank, been grafted onto a donor body and he has expressed an interest in buying BWFC and ploughing 800 million quid in.

Heard this one. Reebok Rebel's organising a protest as Walt wants to replace Lofty with Mickey Mouse.

Newcastle fans wouldn't stand for this.

12Eidur in China talks Empty Re: Eidur in China talks Tue Jun 30 2015, 12:11

boltonbonce wrote:

What........?

COYW

Eidur in China talks Tumblr_lpgonaillQ1qi3civo1_500

No height in that team - who's going to win the knock-downs for Clough?

Disney out!

13Eidur in China talks Empty Re: Eidur in China talks Tue Jun 30 2015, 12:21

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Who needs Clough.
Eidur in China talks Mickey-rentree-du-foot-2012-3__mxoxwl

14Eidur in China talks Empty Re: Eidur in China talks Tue Jun 30 2015, 13:11

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'm a bit annoyed about this to be honest, Lennon has said since before the season finished he wanted to keep him and it now seems Eidur has been stringing us along. If it wasn't for Lennon giving him the chance in the first place then all this talk of big money in China would have been a pipe dream.

15Eidur in China talks Empty Re: Eidur in China talks Tue Jun 30 2015, 14:28

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I've always doubted that anyone in their right mind would buy the club given the catchment area/competition for support/limited income potential but with Lennon's personal involvement with the Irish consortium - and I imagine he's well in there given his Celtic connections - it does seem a possibility, and certainly shows Lennon is exploring options directly so there is definitely a will to find a deal that would be equitable to all parties. Interest begets interest so even if the Irish don't end up buying the club, it might spur on others to look into it.

I currently think that a takeover is no more than a possibility - which is better than the "no chance in hell" I gave the idea for the past 10 years.

Not sure Eidur is messing anyone around. I just think it's logical for Lennon to be slow in handing out contracts as in his position he has little choice but to target loads of players in the knowledge he's not likely to get them on suitable terms, so will probably hang on until he knows what he's got. And for that reason, Eidur is more likely to have been a fall back position rather than the first choice strikers Lennon presumably hopes he can get.

It's also logical for Eidur, given his age and no deal with the Wanderers in the bag should shop around a bit - perhaps only to secure his own fallback position?

16Eidur in China talks Empty Re: Eidur in China talks Wed Jul 01 2015, 10:51

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958
Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!

http://m.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/13363087.Money_talks_as_Gudjohnsen_heads_towards_the_exit_door_at_Wanderers/

Not entirely sure how I feel about this one tbh. He's had a big money offer in China and obviously would fancy one last big payday so it stands to reason he would go to lennon/ the board and say,"look, I've had a good offer from China, is there any chance you can bump my wage up a bit as I would like to stay but this money is too good to turn down at this stage of my career".

His main reason for being here though is to get a spot in a major tournament. Would he be jeopardising that by upping sticks to play in a substandard league? It's another cash versus ambition discussion. 

Eidur may be getting on but his touch and class are there for all to see and it is a pleasure to watch the guy play, but could we be better off putting that money towards someone who has a few more years on his side and would be able to play more regularly than Gudjohnsen could? Can't make my mind up on this one because I would be genuinely sad to see him leave. He is also beneficial for the younger lads as well.

17Eidur in China talks Empty Re: Eidur in China talks Wed Jul 01 2015, 11:17

Any other player and this thread would be inundated with the usual money grabbing ponce bollocks. I don't know his personal situation but I was under the impression his goal was the Euros. Maybe he's been told all he needs to do is play regularly to go and the league doesn't matter in which case can't really blame him - although it will be a shame to see him go.

18Eidur in China talks Empty Re: Eidur in China talks Wed Jul 01 2015, 12:19

bryan458

bryan458
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

No Eidur is fine good lad deseves one last big payday, Bogdan is a money grabbing ponse !!!

19Eidur in China talks Empty Re: Eidur in China talks Wed Jul 01 2015, 21:41

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Many folk think footballers have loyalty to a club like it was back in the day.  They don't.  Players and managers are hired guns....just a few years at each club then on to more money if possible. That's just the way it is now.  How many spend their career at one club these days.

20Eidur in China talks Empty Re: Eidur in China talks Thu Jul 02 2015, 11:09

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Given Eidur's age and the fact he probably has no more than two years left as a player I'd say he will be a fool to turn down a mega bucks offer from China just to play for us. I know we'd all like players to love the club etc but at the end of the day its a job to them and they need to go wherever the money and conditions are best for them and their families. I wish Eidur well and hope we see him back here in some capacity, perhaps as a coach when he finally puts his boots away.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum