Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Scott Carson backs former team-mate Spearing after red card 'dive'

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Derby County keeper Scott Carson has stuck up for Jay Spearing, insisting: 'He’s no diver'.

After seeing the Wanderers midfielder sent off in Saturday’s 0-0 draw at the Macron, the Rams star admitted it had been a harsh call from referee Andy Madley to issue a second yellow card for simulation.

“I know him from when I was at Liverpool and he was coming through the ranks,” he said. “He's an honest lad and I don't think he'd dive intentionally without being touched. I don't think he's that sort of character.”

Spearing went sprawling after barging past Richard Keogh on the edge of the box in a thrilling finale but did not appeal for a penalty.

Nevertheless, referee Madley went to his pocket to send the midfielder off for the first time in his Wanderers career.

“When you see someone go down, you do automatically wonder if they have dived,” Carson said. “I just looked up and before I had a chance to say anything to him, he was shaking his head and telling Richard Keogh that he didn't dive.

“He said he'd fallen over. He didn't even look for it.”

Neil Lennon described the decision as “harsh” but is unable to launch an appeal, which means Spearing will definitely miss the Capital One Cup tie against Burton Albion on Tuesday night.

But the Whites boss was delighted with Spearing’s individual display on what was his first start for the club since October last year.

“He was very good,” said the Whites boss. “He's come back into the team and trained well over the last few weeks. He's got the bit between his teeth and I was pleased with his performance.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum