Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

A real-life horror story: The seven worst starts to a season at Bolton Wanderers

+3
scottjames30
wanderlust
karlypants
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

For all the doom and gloom around the Macron Stadium at present, a quick glance at the history books will tell you that it can get worse.

Nine points from the opening 13 games, including a solitary win, has been the paltry return from Neil Lennon’s side as they sit bottom of the Championship.

But it may surprise some that it is by no means the worst start the club has made at this stage of the season.

On seven previous occasions Wanderers have managed nine points or less after 13 league games – and on three of those they have managed to avoid relegation.

So with Halloween fast approaching, close the curtains, dim the lights and get ready for a really scary story as The Bolton News recounts the seven worst seasons in Wanderers history.

1902-03 – points after 13 games: 3

Finishing position: 18th (bottom)

The mother of all poor seasons for Bolton Wanderers.

Edward VII was on the throne, the world was going mad for Arthur Conan Doyle’s new Sherlock Holmes story, The Hound of the Baskervilles, Newton Heath changed their name to Manchester United and someone in Burton on Trent came up with the idea of Marmite.

But for the Whites, no matter how bad things seem at present, this was worse.

They did not win a game until January when at the 23rd attempt, Notts County were put to the sword. After that, Bolton won eight of their last 12 games but still suffered relegation by six clear points.

1947-48 – points after 13 games: 6

Finishing position: 17th

Post-War Wanderers struggled to pick up where they had left off as a top-10 side and made a poor start in 1947.

Nat Lofthouse’s winner against Blackpool in the 13th game was only their second of the campaign. But a fine run between January and April staved off any threat of relegation – that dubious honour going to Grimsby Town and Blackburn Rovers.

1963-64 – points after 13 games: 7

Finishing position: 21st (relegated)

Despite hammering Ipswich Town 6-0, Bill Ridding’s team failed to get up and running, sliding out of the top flight for the first time in 29 years.

After 13 games the Whites had just seven points, their only other win also coming against Ipswich courtesy of two goals from Gordon Taylor.

Bolton were relegated alongside Birmingham and Ipswich and would not return to the top flight for another 14 years.

1982-83 – points after 13 games: 8

Finishing position: 22nd (relegated)

Times were hard for John McGovern, who despite his admirable fund-raising efforts had little to spend at Burnden Park.

By mid-November they were second bottom despite wins over Newcastle United and Crystal Palace and a decent goal-scoring return from Tony Henry. The Whites never recovered, and as Henry’s goals dried up, they sank to the bottom of Division Two towards relegation.

1995-96 – points after 13 games: 8

Finishing position: 20th (relegated)

The joint management experiment between Roy McFarland and Colin Todd did not work out well as Wanderers got their first taste of the Premier League.

Fabian De Freitas and Alan Stubbs helped them to a 2-1 win over Blackburn, while John McGinlay’s goal also earned the points at home to Arsenal.

Otherwise it was doom and gloom and by January, Todd was on his own as the club slipped towards relegation.

2007-08 – points after 13 games: 8

Finishing position: 16th

Sammy Lee’s transition from first team coach to manager had not gone well, to say the least, at a post-Sam Allardyce Wanderers.

Gary Megson’s arrival hardly set the world alight but there were a few signs of stabilisation as draws were fought out against Aston Villa, Middlesbrough and West Ham to leave the Whites in 18th position after 13 games.

Eventually billed as the Great Escape, Megson’s achievement that season was eclipsed by Roy Hodgson Roy Hodgson’s Fulham. But it proved that anything was possible with a bit of investment – particularly in the likes of Gary Cahill, Gretar Steinsson and Matt Taylor.

1894-95 – points after 13 games: 9

Finishing position: 10th 

Wanderers failed to score just twice in the opening 13 games but still lost eight times in a poor start early in their history.

They recovered in the second half of the season to win eight of their last 14 games and finish mid-table, with Liverpool suffering relegation.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The 63/64 season was an object lesson in despair as it was the first time I realised that heroes aren't always all-conquering. I just couldn't get my head round the idea that we'd ever get relegated from the top flight especially with a forward line of legends including Frannie Lee, Freddie Hill, Wyn Davies and the little round ball on the wing, Mr PFA Gordon Taylor. But we kept losing and everyone (including those deluded fools that thought at the beginning of the season that we'd be close to being champions) kept scratching their heads and saying we shouldn't worry. I went to every home game that season clutching to the belief that we'd come good even though we'd narrowly avoided the drop the season before - but we didn't and it was if we were sleepwalking into trouble.
Hopefully we won't repeat the pattern.

Blackburn are currently 2-0 up away at Dirty Leeds and coasting into Half-Time.

Which kind of puts our "well fought" goalless draw at home at the weekend into some perspective.

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:Blackburn are currently 2-0 up away at Dirty Leeds and coasting into Half-Time.

Which kind of puts our "well fought" goalless draw at home at the weekend into some perspective.

Isn't there a 'making bread' forum you can spit your negative comments on?

If Bolton beat Leeds you wouldn't be happy, probably pissed off would be my guess.

Change the record .

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

City supporter alert. :cop:

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

:facepalm: :banned: :flog:

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

So what if i support City?

Breadman finds every opportunity to stick the knife into Bolton at every given time.

He hates Bolton more than me, he was Bolton Hater after all.

scottjames30 wrote:
Breadman wrote:Blackburn are currently 2-0 up away at Dirty Leeds and coasting into Half-Time.

If Bolton beat Leeds you wouldn't be happy, probably pissed off would be my guess.

Change the record .

See....that doesn't work, does it?

Because I'm talking about Bolton.

And it's a Bolton forum.

Go and eat a green one - they're the fish of crayons: Brain food.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:
scottjames30 wrote:

Change the record .

See....that doesn't work, does it?

Because I'm talking about Bolton.

And it's a Bolton forum.

Go and eat a green one - they're the fish of crayons: Brain food.

But there is a 'Wandering Minds' topic thread, designed for thing not related to Bolton, seeing that it's a football forum I can post football topics about other clubs.

Just like you post boring topics about toasters.

Get a life you sad big man.

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

scottjames30 wrote:So what if i support City?

Breadman finds every opportunity to stick the knife into Bolton at every given time.

He hates Bolton more than me, he was Bolton Hater after all.
Good god! not this again! Shocked

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman thinks he's good thinks he's smart.
But let me tell you, he's one big tart.
He makes pies, he makes bread.
I bet he looks like a fat right said fred.

He's had a breakdown this time last year.
He tried to climb inside his beer.
He can't take a joke or abit of fun.
He does a thing called the forum run.

He is nasty like a pasty.
He calls me dim, but I feel sorry for him.
He thinks he calls the shots.
More like he's having the trotts.

His arse went sting.
When I said in the ring
He's all talk, talks the crap.
I really wanted to shut his trap.

Money would go to a good cause, charity of his pick.
I wanted to take the mick
Breadman is nasty and one bitter farce.
Stick that pan up your big fat arse.

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hahahaha

Good effort.

For a nine year old with learning difficulties.

Rhyming "nasty" with "Pasty"..........seriously?

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:Good effort.

For a nine year old with learning difficulties.

Rhyming "nasty" with "Pasty"..........seriously?

.........................Seriously.

JAH

JAH
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Personally I think you're all a bunch of cunts, except for Karly. An interesting article ruined by a load of fucking inbreds!

Karly, on those stats are you able to compare the quality of the opposition that the team faced? I'm just wondering how much of those bad starts were down to the luck of the draw or incompetence of the management team. Sluffy would have us all believe that Owen Coyle was the worst Bolton manager in our history, so I am surprised that none of OC's teams featured. Sluffy will say that OC had a lucky draw and he maybe right, but if he is right how much did luck play in the examples above? Just interested.

Says the man who officially killed Behind Enemy Lines.......

One of the only three good things about this site.

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Nobody killed behind the enemy lines.  We simply have only won once this season!!

BoltonTillIDie wrote:Nobody killed behind the enemy lines.  We simply have only won once this season!!
Holdsworth killed it off.

Whittam said so.

Fact - ITK.

(As is anyone else who read her petulant response to his glib critique of her most recent effort.)

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'm 97.5% sure Nat wouldn't let one persons opinion influence her from her genius insight into the enemy

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum