Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Poor coaching to blame!

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Poor coaching to blame! Empty Poor coaching to blame! Thu 5 Nov - 10:51

Bolton Nuts

Admin

Stick with me on this one. I think at managerial level/coaching level something is being done badly wrong!

Forget not being able to sign all the players we want - lots of clubs have ended up in that position and, although it matters, we should be able to do something about it.

Our players might not be the best in the world but they are nearly all of a decent enough standard on their day / when on form.

Amos, Prince, Pratley, Casado, Mark Davies, Danns, Vela, Clough, Madine, etc.

I look at some of the players who came in and looked decent and have slowly lost their quality over time. And that makes me think that we are coaching it out of them - and that can happen!

Last edited by Biggie on Thu 5 Nov - 10:53; edited 1 time in total

https://boltonnuts.forumotion.co.uk

2Poor coaching to blame! Empty Re: Poor coaching to blame! Thu 5 Nov - 10:52

Bolton Nuts

Admin

Take Amos as an example. When he first popped onto the scene I noticed a distinct Man Utd quality to him. He would be constantly positioning his defenders where he wanted them to be in open play. Something I see happen with Utd academy players all the time. For example, when receiving a back pass he would always order a full back to drop toward a corner flag as a get out option for an easy pass- something the best teams nearly always do. 

Now he doesn't do it. 
So either he stopped bothering doing it because he got bored or he has had it modified on the training ground. And this goes for other aspects of his game too. Key things which set him apart have been altered - and someone is doing the altering!

In Mark Davies' case - he seems to have been altered for the better in most areas of his game. And again, he didn't just get better - he is being coached differently and his role has changed.

But in most cases, players who looked promising are seeming to be going backwards in terms of their ability. And it's not by chance.

Last edited by Biggie on Thu 5 Nov - 10:55; edited 1 time in total

3Poor coaching to blame! Empty Re: Poor coaching to blame! Thu 5 Nov - 10:53

Bolton Nuts

Admin

I wish he would stop saying "if we keep doing what we are doing goals will come" - because they are not coming!

Just before I go, Prince is another one. When he arrived, he had a certain "quality" - his positioning and movement were superior to our other defenders. He was more composed. The timing of his tackles were better. 

It's like wherever he was being coached before he came here was doing it right but now that he has been here a few months they have been doing the wrong practice drills in training and organising the defence so badly that all his good points are nullified.

How can I explain it in in quick example terms... Let's say Prince has always been coached to stay in a set zone, stand off a player if he comes into it, and block shots if needed - and he was doing that just fine. But then he changes clubs and they say - you were great at that but now we don't want you to be zonal, we want you to close down, chase the ball, support the full back, put early tackles in instead of standing off, man mark closely. - it's a completely different way of playing. 

And if we choose a way of playing for each player that suits non of them things are never going to work!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum