Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Nano boxes

4 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Nano boxes Empty Nano boxes Mon Nov 30 2015, 10:48

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

So the missus and I are looking to "downsize" next year seeing as the kids are grown up and we've put the ranch on the market. Meanwhile I've done up a bungalow in town for our retirement and we are debating what we're going to do about telly and broadband etc.

We've realised that we're going to have to have BT Infinity broadband in the bungalow despite not trusting them as far as we can throw Blackpool Tower. And despite never using a landline phone accept that we will have to cough up for a line. 
We want to dump SKY and we were thinking of just using Freeview with a BT Sports package but then realised that we'd need a TV aerial for that and there is a line of massive trees right in front so we won't be able to get a signal.
Someone suggested a Nano box - which (Natasha take note!) is something I don't know anything about other than it's an internet media hub that requires a decent broadband connection.

Can anyone advise if they are any good, what the limitations are, what are the problems and which is the best brand to get?

2Nano boxes Empty Re: Nano boxes Mon Nov 30 2015, 11:00

You started that with the word "so" like the kids do, and as a result, I'm out.

http://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk/t7925-so

3Nano boxes Empty Re: Nano boxes Mon Nov 30 2015, 11:05

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:You started that with the word "so" like the kids do, and as a result, I'm out.

http://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk/t7925-so

Interesting that you find that more irritating - and I've said this before - than my excessive use of hyphens.

4Nano boxes Empty Re: Nano boxes Mon Nov 30 2015, 11:07

I can't hear the hyphens but I can hear the pause after the "so" and that's the bit that gets me.

Every time.

5Nano boxes Empty Re: Nano boxes Mon Nov 30 2015, 11:36

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:I can't hear the hyphens but I can hear the pause after the "so" and that's the bit that gets me.

Every time.
Surprising as you are liberal with the commas, often when preceding "and" which is optional, but when used emphasises the pause.

6Nano boxes Empty Re: Nano boxes Mon Nov 30 2015, 11:45

When did this become my life?

How did it happen?

I used to be a (fairly) normal bloke who did stuff and went to interesting places.

Now though, I'm sat in my undies discussing the use of commas with a complete stranger on a wet Monday morning in November.

It wasn't meant to be like this.

I've got nine O Levels and a degree in Politics, for God's sake......

7Nano boxes Empty Re: Nano boxes Mon Nov 30 2015, 12:08

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Wander do you not have a smart TV? If so and it is a decent one, you can generally get the Netflix for it along with NowTV.

If not you can get a NowTV box that will plug in the back of the telly (subscription required) that goes through your broadband.

Have you ever thought about Virgin Media broadband? If you can get it in your area, the phone line is an optional extra.

Edit: there is an offer here on the NowTV box with 6 months entertainment pass for £19.99.  See link here Smile

8Nano boxes Empty Re: Nano boxes Mon Nov 30 2015, 12:10

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:When did this become my life?

How did it happen?

I used to be a (fairly) normal bloke who did stuff and went to interesting places.

Now though, I'm sat in my undies discussing the use of commas with a complete stranger on a wet Monday morning in November.

It wasn't meant to be like this.

I've got nine O Levels and a degree in Politics, for God's sake......
So tell me about nano boxes then...

Ooops....

9Nano boxes Empty Re: Nano boxes Mon Nov 30 2015, 12:29

No, that's a perfectly acceptable way to start a sentence using the word "so" - see "interactional agenda" for its use in a question.

Good try but no cigar.

10Nano boxes Empty Re: Nano boxes Mon Nov 30 2015, 12:30

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

And here I am offering my genuine help on this matter.

Welcome to the "Nut House" Laughing

11Nano boxes Empty Re: Nano boxes Mon Nov 30 2015, 12:33

I'd go with a chromecast (£25) and use your tablet or phone (preferably android) and then download mobdro, cartoon HD and showbox.

That way you don't even need a monthly subscription to anything!

12Nano boxes Empty Re: Nano boxes Mon Nov 30 2015, 12:35

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

y2johnny wrote:I'd go with a chromecast (£25) and use your tablet or phone (preferably android) and then download mobdro, cartoon HD and showbox.

I was going to give the pros and cons of the Android (nano) boxes with them running the Android operating system along with the Kodi app.

13Nano boxes Empty Re: Nano boxes Mon Nov 30 2015, 12:37

karlypants wrote:
y2johnny wrote:I'd go with a chromecast (£25) and use your tablet or phone (preferably android) and then download mobdro, cartoon HD and showbox.

I was going to give the pros and cons of the Android (nano) boxes with them running the Android operating system along with the Kodi app.
i prefer my chromecast, runs really well and doesn't tale any room up near my PS4!  we have sky still (£124 a month!) but will be binning that off shortly i hope!

14Nano boxes Empty Re: Nano boxes Mon Nov 30 2015, 12:38

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

karlypants wrote:

Thanks Johnny and please do KP.

15Nano boxes Empty Re: Nano boxes Mon Nov 30 2015, 12:39

wanderlust wrote:
karlypants wrote:

Thanks Johnny and please do KP.
And another thing, if any of your kids or family have netflix and amazon prime (like my mum does!) use their log-ins Smile

Taste the freeness

16Nano boxes Empty Re: Nano boxes Mon Nov 30 2015, 12:44

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

karlypants wrote:Wander do you not have a smart TV? If so and it is a decent one, you can generally get the Netflix for it along with NowTV.

If not you can get a NowTV box that will plug in the back of the telly (subscription required) that goes through your broadband.

Have you ever thought about Virgin Media broadband? If you can get it in your area, the phone line is an optional extra.

Edit: there is an offer here on the NowTV box with 6 months entertainment pass for £19.99.  See link here Smile
Cheers KP.

We just bought a Sony Smart TV and plugged the Sky box into it. Beyond that I know nothing.
Does you mean I don't need a Now TV box or a Nano Box if I just plug the telly into t'internet?

I.e. does the smart TV do the same stuff as the boxes?

And if so, do I need to download anything?

17Nano boxes Empty Re: Nano boxes Mon Nov 30 2015, 13:30

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:
karlypants wrote:Wander do you not have a smart TV? If so and it is a decent one, you can generally get the Netflix for it along with NowTV.

Cheers KP.

We just bought a Sony Smart TV and plugged the Sky box into it. Beyond that I know nothing.
Does you mean I don't need a Now TV box or a Nano Box if I just plug the telly into t'internet?

If your Sony Bravia has the Andoid smart function (some 2015 models) then you will be able to download the app through the TV.

It seems that the Now TV service is available on LG model smart tv's as well as Andoid TV boxes so far.

Let me know the model number of your TV and I will check for you. Smile

18Nano boxes Empty Re: Nano boxes Mon Nov 30 2015, 13:43

karlypants wrote:
wanderlust wrote:

Cheers KP.

If your Sony Bravia has the Andoid smart function (some 2015 models) then you will be able to download the app through the TV.

It seems that the Now TV service is available on LG model smart tv's as well as Andoid TV boxes so far.

Let me know the model number of your TV, your bank sort code, account number, pin number for your bank card, your full address, your mothers maiden name and your inside leg measurements and I will check for you. Smile
Smile

19Nano boxes Empty Re: Nano boxes Mon Nov 30 2015, 13:44

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The pro's about having a Now TV box is that it is pretty much "plug and play" and great for people with limited knowledge with regards to setting up technology, although it is restricted in what you can do with it.

You can access on demand from the TV channels such as BBC iPlayer, Channel 5 & 4, YouTube, Facebook (if you do any of that), on demand movies you pay sky for as well as some subscription based entertainment channels and sky sports.

With an Android box that you would connect to your TV in the same way, you can do the same although the android system it runs on is more open for content to watch and use as it is independent unlike Now TV.

You would still be able to watch all the on demand services and also Netflix but also be able to download an app called Kodi which would allow you to view movies and TV shows and other services that may interest you etc, you would also be able to view online sports streams similar to how we all do it on a PC but with having the comfort of watching them from your sofa.

It is a bit of a mind field when looking to purchase one of these as they start around a mere £15 and really are shit. You would be looking at spending around £60 for a good one that would give you smooth viewing.

They require a little more setting up but the possibilities with it are endless.

Last edited by karlypants on Mon Nov 30 2015, 13:47; edited 1 time in total

20Nano boxes Empty Re: Nano boxes Mon Nov 30 2015, 13:46

karlypants wrote:The pro's about having a Now TV box is that it is pretty much "plug and play" and great for people with limited knowledge with regards to setting up technology, although it is restricted in what you can do with it.

You can access on demand from the TV channels such as BBC iPlayer, Channel 5 & 4, YouTube, Facebook (if you do any of that), on demand movies you pay sky for as well as some subscription based entertainment channels and sky sports.

With an Android box that you would connect to your TV in the same way, you can do the same although the android system it runs on is more open for content to watch and use as it is independent unlike Now TV.

You would still be able to watch all the on demand services and also Netflix but also be able to download an app called Kodi which would allow you to view movies and TV shows and other services that may interest you etc, you would also be able to view online sports streams similar to how we all do it on a PC but with having the comfort of watching them from your sofa.

It is a bit of a mind field when looking to purchase one of these as they start around a mere £15 and really are shit. You would be looking at spending around £60 for a good one that would give you smooth viewing.
What's this Kodi KP?  is it similar to mobdro?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum