Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Neil Lennon confident Bolton can stave off threat of administration

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Wanderers are optimistic they will stave off the threat of administration and could give the green light to new ownership by this weekend.

Talks have accelerated in the last 24 hours to the point financial assurances have been given to the club by at least two interested parties.

Neil Lennon confirmed yesterday four different groups were involved in discussions, although each are being asked by owner Eddie Davies to provide rigorous proof they will be able to fund the club in the longer term.

Wanderers have played down reports they are asking all potential purchasers to provide a £10million down payment, with each case being treated in a separate fashion.

It stands to reason, however, funds will be required to keep the club running on an even keel during the due diligence process, when closer examination will be given of accounts, and to pay players’ wages.

While acknowledging the threat of administration is still present, Lennon was cautiously optimistic a deal was close as he spoke to the written press yesterday.

“We are not getting carried away and there are no guarantees,” he told The Bolton News. “There are three or four very interested parties and we’re hoping they won’t be tyre-kickers, and that they will put money down on the table. We’ll know in the next few days, hopefully.

"I am pretty confident that something will get done and done and obviously you are hoping that the people who do come in have got the future of the club at heart. I’m sure they do. I’m sure it will not be a short-term fix or anything like that.”

“It’s a balance. I’m juggling a lot of balls at the moment and football sometimes isn’t the main priority – the future of the club, the players and my staff is more important.

“Trevor has kept me informed but away from the day-to-day stuff, the negotiations. I’ve been told ‘listen Neil, this is happening or that is happening’ and now we’re starting to see some light at the end of the tunnel, which is obviously great news.”

It appears the Sports Shield Investment group, led by ex-Whites striker Dean Holdsworth, are in pole position for a deal, although a multi-national consortium headed by ex-midfielder Stelios Giannankopoulos are also still prominent.

Two other groups, formed with backers from the Middle East, are also reported to be in the frame.

Lennon believes the process could boil down to a matter of timing.

“Having spoken to Trevor Birch there are three or four interested parties, negotiations are ongoing and it could be a case of first past the post,” he said. “Who can put the money up first?

“He is a lot more confident now than things maybe looked a few days ago.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum