Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Pretentious food

+6
wanderlust
rammywhite
karlypants
Copper Dragon
Sluffy
doffcocker
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Pretentious food Empty Pretentious food Sat Dec 19 2015, 00:57

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

It's that time of year when supermarkets start to stock all kinds of fancy shit.

The other day I bought a tub of caviar from Lidl as it was only £1.50 and I fancied seeing what all the fuss is about. For the peasants of the site who don't do anything less ordinary than beans egg and toast, caviar is basically fish eggs and is widely regarded as "posh food".

Now whilst I'm sure this particular brand at £1.50 a box from Lidl won't be among the world's most sought after, it definitely wasn't anything to write home about.

Can you think of a time you've bought some swanky food only to be disappointed?

2Pretentious food Empty Re: Pretentious food Sat Dec 19 2015, 01:18

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

You've not had proper caviar at that price Doff, you've probably had some fish eggs from a goldfish or something!

I've tried oysters - wtf is all that about?

Can't say I'd have them again.

I don't know how many people have tried lobster but if you haven't it is lovely - yum yum!

I've eaten alligator too - that's delicious also.

I've even had dolphin - but not the cuddly animal type - this was a dolphin fish. It must have been just ok because I can't even remember how it tasted now!

3Pretentious food Empty Re: Pretentious food Sat Dec 19 2015, 01:25

I worked as a washer up in the kitchen at the Last Drop briefly before The Coaching House put a cheeky bid in for my services when I was a student and I was transferred out of Bromley Cross and found myself washing pans for a new club in Smithills.

The Last Drop was a bit posher than The Coaching House and they served caviare.

And one day I tried it just to see what all the fuss was about.

And it was shit.

Very small, salty marbles.

Best avoided.

Meanwhile back at the CH......

I was there for the 25th Anniversary celebrations and they served oysters.

One of the chefs bet me twenty quid that I couldn't keep one down.

And he was right - Think large ball of snot that tastes and smells like fish stuck in your throat. And it's still alive.

Properly rank.

I'm glad that I'm working class and don't have to eat that shit regularly.

(Sluffy's right about Lobster though - proper nice if cooked in sea water, served with crusty bread and lemon butter on a boat as the sun sets with a bottle of Cuban lager in your hand. In my limited experience.....)

4Pretentious food Empty Re: Pretentious food Sat Dec 19 2015, 01:49

Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I think that you've had fish poo rather than caviar Doffcocker. I've never had caviar and I'm not bothered about having it.

The one thing that I haven't had that I would like to try is Truffle, just to see what all the fuss is about.

Lobster is best barbecued on a beach in Brazil with a Gin and Tonic and a slice of lime Breadman.

5Pretentious food Empty Re: Pretentious food Sat Dec 19 2015, 02:02

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Dave are you saying that I'm a posh twat for eating oysters and lobster on a regular basis? Very Happy

6Pretentious food Empty Re: Pretentious food Sat Dec 19 2015, 02:04

Yes.

Stop it at once.

Pot Noodle and Turkey Dinosaurs for a week if you want redemption.

7Pretentious food Empty Re: Pretentious food Sun Dec 20 2015, 09:31

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

karlypants wrote:Dave are you saying that I'm a posh twat for eating oysters and lobster on a regular basis? Very Happy

Don't care what Dave says -but if you do ,then you are.
I'm comfortable with the occasional pudding and chips from the chippy in Holcombe Brook.
And lots of Lancashire cheese on toast.

8Pretentious food Empty Re: Pretentious food Sun Dec 20 2015, 11:03

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Don't like caviar or oysters but there again I don't like anchovies or pickled/rollmop herring and they're not particularly pretentious. They're just too fishy as fish go.

9Pretentious food Empty Re: Pretentious food Sun Dec 20 2015, 16:33

In a similar vein, what do we all think about those horrible, chavvy-looking Pandora bracelets that are popular nowadays?

There's an advert for them on the telly quite a lot and they look awful.

I asked Mrs B about them and she tells me that they're quite expensive and are the "in thing" at the moment.

Emperor's New Clothes again?

10Pretentious food Empty Re: Pretentious food Sun Dec 20 2015, 16:37

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:In a similar vein, what do we all think about those horrible, chavvy-looking Pandora bracelets that are popular nowadays?

There's an advert for them on the telly quite a lot and they look awful.

I asked Mrs B about them and she tells me that they're quite expensive and are the "in thing" at the moment.

Emperor's New Clothes again?
 excuse me Breaders my wife loves her pandora bracelet and i've bought her a new charm to go on it  Very Happy

11Pretentious food Empty Re: Pretentious food Sun Dec 20 2015, 16:39

Oops..... Embarassed

12Pretentious food Empty Re: Pretentious food Sun Dec 20 2015, 16:40

My missus and my mum has one both bought by me. A genius idea as for the next good few birthdays/xmas/anniversary/mothers day you know what you can get them

13Pretentious food Empty Re: Pretentious food Sun Dec 20 2015, 16:43

And again.......Oops.  Embarassed

14Pretentious food Empty Re: Pretentious food Sun Dec 20 2015, 16:47

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Never heard of them.

Neither has Wesley,my butler,and he knows about most things.

15Pretentious food Empty Re: Pretentious food Sun Dec 20 2015, 16:56

Each to their own but I just think they look like something Liberace would look at and say: "Nah, it's too much."

Pretentious food BeachBracelet

16Pretentious food Empty Re: Pretentious food Sun Dec 20 2015, 17:02

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

All the girls in the family used to have a similar passion for 'Hello Kitty' gear.
Must be a girl thing.
Although auntie Nora preferred her pipe.

17Pretentious food Empty Re: Pretentious food Sun Dec 20 2015, 17:03

Bollotom2014

Bollotom2014
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

I don't eat anything out of the sea. I was down Southend a few years ago and there was a dog on the beach cocked its leg and peed into it. Spotted dick and custard. Apple suet pudding and corned beef hash. Don't eat a load of meat but do like bacon and sausage sarnies as well as chip butties and porridge, lashings of porridge, mushy peas, black peas and cold cuts of meat with finely chopped onion mixed in on crusty bread.

18Pretentious food Empty Re: Pretentious food Sun Dec 20 2015, 17:06

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bollotom2014 wrote:I don't eat anything out of the sea. I was down Southend a few years ago and there was a dog on the beach cocked its leg and peed into it. Spotted dick and custard. Apple suet pudding and corned beef hash. Don't eat a load of meat but do like bacon and sausage sarnies as well as chip butties and porridge, lashings of porridge, mushy peas, black peas and cold cuts of meat with finely chopped onion mixed in on crusty bread.
Pretentious food Main-qimg-de4808652c1cadda8b640ab420e5a789?convert_to_webp=true

19Pretentious food Empty Re: Pretentious food Sun Dec 20 2015, 17:08

Bollotom2014

Bollotom2014
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

boltonbonce wrote:
Bollotom2014 wrote:I don't eat anything out of the sea. I was down Southend a few years ago and there was a dog on the beach cocked its leg and peed into it. Spotted dick and custard. Apple suet pudding and corned beef hash. Don't eat a load of meat but do like bacon and sausage sarnies as well as chip butties and porridge, lashings of porridge, mushy peas, black peas and cold cuts of meat with finely chopped onion mixed in on crusty bread.
Pretentious food Main-qimg-de4808652c1cadda8b640ab420e5a789?convert_to_webp=true

Hope that's a before shot and not an afters. Enough material there to clothe the air force for the next five years.

20Pretentious food Empty Re: Pretentious food Sun Dec 20 2015, 17:18

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

You'll need 'em if you eat that lot. Razz

Love spotted dick myself though. Reminds me of my schooldays.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum