Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Wanderlusts 10000th post

+5
karlypants
wanderlust
boltonbonce
Chairmanda
Bwfc1958
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Wanderlusts 10000th post Empty Wanderlusts 10000th post Tue Dec 29 2015, 16:46

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958
Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!

Everyone seems to get a thread for their 10,000th post so it's only right that Lusty gets one as well. 

Only 4 posts to go. It will probably pass by during a 7 page debate with lpp but you never know, he might just post it here. 

Pressures on mate, over to you.......

2Wanderlusts 10000th post Empty Re: Wanderlusts 10000th post Tue Dec 29 2015, 16:50

Summat big expected here. Come on lustifer

3Wanderlusts 10000th post Empty Re: Wanderlusts 10000th post Tue Dec 29 2015, 16:51

Chairmanda

Chairmanda
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

go wandy, go wandy, go wandy....

4Wanderlusts 10000th post Empty Re: Wanderlusts 10000th post Tue Dec 29 2015, 17:16

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Failure to mention Bruce Forsyth will be regarded as a slap in the face. Cool

5Wanderlusts 10000th post Empty Re: Wanderlusts 10000th post Tue Dec 29 2015, 17:40

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

How the f*** did that happen? 

OK then:

An Englishman, a Scotsman and Bruce Forsyth were having a conversation in a bar about their children.
Englishman says "I don't know about you guys but I named my son George after St George's Day."
"That's amazing" says the Scotsman "because I named my son Andrew after St Andrew's Day."
"Wow!" says Bruce. "Just wait till I tell my son, Pancake."

6Wanderlusts 10000th post Empty Re: Wanderlusts 10000th post Tue Dec 29 2015, 17:41

Your on 9998.

7Wanderlusts 10000th post Empty Re: Wanderlusts 10000th post Tue Dec 29 2015, 17:42

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Evil or Very Mad

8Wanderlusts 10000th post Empty Re: Wanderlusts 10000th post Tue Dec 29 2015, 20:54

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:How the f*** did that happen? 

OK then:

An Englishman, a Scotsman and Bruce Forsyth were having a conversation in a bar about their children.
Englishman says "I don't know about you guys but I named my son George after St George's Day."
"That's amazing" says the Scotsman "because I named my son Andrew after St Andrew's Day."
"Wow!" says Bruce. "Just wait till I tell my son, Pancake."
Laughing

9Wanderlusts 10000th post Empty Re: Wanderlusts 10000th post Wed Dec 30 2015, 00:59

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

If I've only got two posts left before I lose my youth I'm going to be completely selfishly nerdish with this the penultimate and flag up a couple of articles about the development of professional football in Bolton, Blackburn and this small piece of the globe decades before the League was formed. 

The first is an academic piece by local historian Peter Swain entitled "Cultural continuity and football in 19th century Lancashire" which I came across when I was researching how football evolved from the semi professional and heavily supported 20 a side  version of the game popular in the 1820s and 1830s. There was a Bolton team based at the Old Boltonians ground in Turton which is thought to have moved and evolved into Christ Church in 1874 to save the players and massed fans the cart trip to Turton. (Articles in the public domain and further evidence provided in Turton Towers records.)

At this time, the mass melee of the original game between villages had become organised with a fixed number of players, more stringent rules, big crowds, serious gambling and as much as anything, skullduggery - which included paid "ringers" being brought in. It was an interim step towards professionalism. 

This bit is about the link between pubs, gambling and football and it starts with legendary Bolton ringer Ben Hart playing for Tottington:

On 9 March 1878, the Darwen News, in a report based on interviews with surviving participants, recalled a match between Darwen and Tottington played in 1830 in the outlying village of Turton. This was a return fixture after a game held on ‘Collop Monday’ (the day before Shrove Tuesday) at Round Barn, near Edgworth, when the competing teams had each fielded twenty players and played for £2 10s (£2.50) a side with the stakes being ‘lodged in the hands of the landlord of the Round Barn Public House’. The practice of publicans organizing football matches and holding stake money was endemic in south and east Lancashire at the time, as will be evidenced below, with their obvious commercial interests being served by so doing. Interestingly, this game was played on what was described as a ‘triangular pitch’. The fixture ended in a dispute, upon which the Darwen players returned to the pub first, claimed the five pounds and ‘spent the whole of it in the Grey Horse Inn before leaving’. Their opponents regarded this as unfair and issued a challenge to play for £5 a side, a match which took place a month later on a pitch ‘a few hundred yards from Turton Church’. (WL: that's the Old Boltonians ground) The Darwen News went on to report that all the players now living agree that there would be 5,000 or 6,000 spectators present. The stakes would have been held by Willey-at- Wood at Chetham’s Arms,Turton, but we believe never were fairly put down. The teams met as at Round Barn with the exception of one or two names different and our opponents had engaged among others Ben Hart from Bolton, the great sprint runner.
Hart was a local athlete, well known for taking part in foot-racing or ‘pedestrianism’, a popular sport in Bolton and district in the 1830s and 1840s. It is claimed that ‘his feats could empty the town’s mills for half a day as people flocked to watch’.  His influence on local sport was considerable and also extended to football.
In Bolton itself Ben Hart had become the landlord of the Sir Sidney Smith Tavern from around 1837. Originally a weaver, Hart had become a Bolton legend who as a ‘pedestrian’ racer had made himself a wealthy man and a local hero. As many as 5,000 people turned out to watch him in 1834 when he raced against the famous ‘mountain stag’ from Belmont. Gambling was de rigeur at these events and considerable sums were wagered. Hart and betting were also in evidence when twenty Boltonians were prepared to play at foot-ball with twenty of the best men in the Rifle Regiment now stationed in Bolton, for £10 a side; to come off on New Year’s Day, in the neighbourhood of Bolton, providing the regiment be stationed in or near Bolton. "The veteran Ben Hart is a player, and is appointed to pick out the men of Bolton, and unless approved of by him such person or persons will not be allowed to play in the match. The money is ready at his house, where alone arrangements can be made."

OK it's about landlords arranging matches to boost their own profits, but the articles talk about local teams and the incredible tradition of football in Bolton and our contribution to it's evolution which I thought relevant for contemplation in these troubled times.

If you've not seen the articles before Biggie might be able to signpost you to them if you're vaguely interested as I sent them in a couple of years back.

10Wanderlusts 10000th post Empty Re: Wanderlusts 10000th post Wed Dec 30 2015, 10:54

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958

I took one look at that post and almost didn't bother reading it but I'm glad I did as I actually found it quite interesting. I would be interested to read the others that Lusty has mentioned if someone could point the way?

11Wanderlusts 10000th post Empty Re: Wanderlusts 10000th post Wed Dec 30 2015, 15:10

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I hope he's retiring on 9999.

12Wanderlusts 10000th post Empty Re: Wanderlusts 10000th post Wed Dec 30 2015, 16:42

Shame you didn't.

Still, it's not too late......

13Wanderlusts 10000th post Empty Re: Wanderlusts 10000th post Wed Dec 30 2015, 16:43

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:Shame you didn't.

Still, it's not too late......

I know you don't mean that.

14Wanderlusts 10000th post Empty Re: Wanderlusts 10000th post Thu Dec 31 2015, 01:35

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

So for my 10,000th post I'd just like to say sorry to anyone I've insulted, upset or in any way worsened their life experience over the last 9,999 posts. Or this one for that matter.
My football team is part of me and I reckon I'd be short-changing you if I did anything other than be me when I rant away on here. 
I only have the one "character" and despite the complexities of life I clearly need it as a vehicle to spout otherwise I wouldn't do it so thank you, Internet strangers, for barking back at me.

(the "so" was for you Dave Smile)

15Wanderlusts 10000th post Empty Re: Wanderlusts 10000th post Thu Dec 31 2015, 02:47

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

Big ups, Lusty. If I get to 10,000 posts, I demand dancing women, skimpily clad. In person. Preferably between the ages of 21 and 25. Under 140lbs. Cute. Single. You get the idea.

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

16Wanderlusts 10000th post Empty Re: Wanderlusts 10000th post Thu Dec 31 2015, 08:19

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

congratulations Lusty, we've had a whip round (Nat contributed the most by the way) and got you this. Hope you like it and it get many hours of enjoyment out of it

Wanderlusts 10000th post 9k=

17Wanderlusts 10000th post Empty Re: Wanderlusts 10000th post Thu Dec 31 2015, 09:25

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:So for my 10,000th post I'd just like to say sorry to anyone I've insulted, upset or in any way worsened their life experience over the last 9,999 posts. Or this one for that matter.
My football team is part of me and I reckon I'd be short-changing you if I did anything other than be me when I rant away on here. 
I only have the one "character" and despite the complexities of life I clearly need it as a vehicle to spout otherwise I wouldn't do it so thank you, Internet strangers, for barking back at me.

(the "so" was for you Dave Smile)
Welcome to the 10k club Wander! :number1:

18Wanderlusts 10000th post Empty Re: Wanderlusts 10000th post Thu Dec 31 2015, 10:29

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958

Well done on the big 10k Lusty!  :clap:

You did well to not really offend anyone in the 9999 previous posts and then you went and left a certain member of the entertainment industry out of your landmark post. Boncey will be very disappointed in you now.  Evil or Very Mad

19Wanderlusts 10000th post Empty Re: Wanderlusts 10000th post Thu Dec 31 2015, 12:18

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Well done Lusty.
And I'm not too disappointed about a certain person not being mentioned. I'll make up for it in the coming year. Very Happy

20Wanderlusts 10000th post Empty Re: Wanderlusts 10000th post Thu Dec 31 2015, 13:10

Only just noticed this.

So............well done.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum