Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Should we really sell Clough?

+10
doffcocker
wanderlust
luckyPeterpiper
FullofSprite
Boggersbelief
Natasha Whittam
scottjames30
Hipster_Nebula
BoltonTillIDie
Norpig
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 4]

21Should we really sell Clough? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should we really sell Clough? Sun Jan 10 2016, 14:31

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

why didn't you write that first time around Lusty?  Very Happy

22Should we really sell Clough? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should we really sell Clough? Sun Jan 10 2016, 14:40

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Norpig wrote:Lusty you do come across as being very condescending sometimes

Only sometimes?

It's not good is it, but it's better than coming across like a twat all the time.

23Should we really sell Clough? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should we really sell Clough? Sun Jan 10 2016, 14:43

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

For three Million I'd drive him there before they sober up, I'd take Pratley gift wrapped as a thanksgiving.

24Should we really sell Clough? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should we really sell Clough? Sun Jan 10 2016, 15:19

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:why didn't you write that first time around Lusty?  Very Happy
Because in our position I thought it was a no-brainer and it didn't cross my mind that what I wrote would cause offence. But it did, so please accept my apology..

Obviously I expected @whatashitman to have a go..

25Should we really sell Clough? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should we really sell Clough? Sun Jan 10 2016, 15:41

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

lusty I agree with your basic premise that we have to take the money but there is a flaw in it. If Clough doesn't want to move we would still have to pay up his existing contract in order to complete the deal. That would be true no matter where he was going unless he hands in a written transfer request which seems unlikely at this point. That money would obviously come from his sale price and once you add in an agent's fee we won't be left with very much even out of 3 million. I don't know how much Clough is on per week but I suspect that once that's been deducted along with the usual agent's fees we'd be lucky to have half of the 3 million left to put towards the debts. 

Sadly I fear we have very little choice at this juncture and now it will all depend on Clough himself. If he refuses the move he can kill it stone dead simply by refusing to accept whatever personal terms Bristol might offer. As norpig said, the player now holds all the cards, even more so in the current situation where we still owe him some of the wages from November and December. It may well be that it simply isn't worth selling him for 3 mil unless he requests the transfer in writing and I suspect he might do that if Man Utd or someone like that came in but he won't for a club he isn't keen on.

26Should we really sell Clough? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should we really sell Clough? Sun Jan 10 2016, 15:43

Did you work that out yourself, Lusty (very impressed if you did) or did you just type the name into an anagram generator and shout "Fuckin' 'ell! I've struck gold!" when it came up with that?

27Should we really sell Clough? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should we really sell Clough? Sun Jan 10 2016, 16:21

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I think Clough will develop into a really good Championship player. Nothing more sadly for the simple reason that it only takes some brick shithouse of a centre half to bully him out of the game completely.

But there's no way we should be selling him for peanuts from a footballing point of view. He's one of the few players we've got that occasionally produces a bit of magic. His end product is fantastic really.

From a financial point of view, do any of us really know how much difference it would make? £3m (and that's highly optimistic) is nothing in the context of £180m debt. Just how dangerous is the cash situation is the question.

28Should we really sell Clough? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should we really sell Clough? Sun Jan 10 2016, 16:21

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:
Norpig wrote:why didn't you write that first time around Lusty?  Very Happy
Because in our position I thought it was a no-brainer and it didn't cross my mind that what I wrote would cause offence. But it did, so please accept my apology..

Obviously I expected @whatashitman to have a go..
 no apology needed or requested,all good here  :good:

29Should we really sell Clough? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should we really sell Clough? Sun Jan 10 2016, 16:33

If he can stay injury free (and thats a big if) he will have a very bright future ahead of him. Going to bristol will just prolong his his chances though. If we was in the top ten of the championship and not struggling for money we'd be looking at more than double for him with a decent sell on clause. Unfortuantely he may well be facing us in league 1 next year with bristol.

30Should we really sell Clough? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should we really sell Clough? Sun Jan 10 2016, 16:50

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

doffcocker wrote:I think Clough will develop into a really good Championship player. Nothing more sadly for the simple reason that it only takes some brick shithouse of a centre half to bully him out of the game completely.

They thought the same about Lionel Messi. Now  clough will never be that good but there's no reason he can't become a good prem player providing he adds some more muscle mass

31Should we really sell Clough? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should we really sell Clough? Sun Jan 10 2016, 16:52

Messi isn't up against "English style CB's" every week who try and kick him to death.

Clough will be.

Michael Owen thrived because he had lightening pace.

Clough hasn't.

32Should we really sell Clough? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should we really sell Clough? Sun Jan 10 2016, 16:59

We don't have a choice and neither does he by the sounds of it 'if you don't leave the club will go under'.

In terms of the fee, given our situation £3 million is good business. In a normal situation we'd be able to get double but we're not.

Regardless of how good he is, he's the first real attacking talent to come through the academy in years, selling him to Bristol City is watching one of the only positives about the club leave. Depressing.

33Should we really sell Clough? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should we really sell Clough? Sun Jan 10 2016, 17:02

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Take it you don't watch much La Liga.. The lesser teams try to twat Messi all game.

34Should we really sell Clough? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should we really sell Clough? Sun Jan 10 2016, 17:06

Too early to write off Clough as too lightweight IMO he's still only 19 and I think he'll naturally bulk out a bit over the next few years. Plus he'll have professional nutritional and fitness coaching to help him do it.

35Should we really sell Clough? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should we really sell Clough? Sun Jan 10 2016, 17:40

NickFazer

NickFazer
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

I think he will turn Bristol City down, it is early in the window and he may well get a better offer, Wolves have lost Afobe for example.

36Should we really sell Clough? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should we really sell Clough? Sun Jan 10 2016, 21:37

CAMPO

CAMPO
Nicky Hunt
Nicky Hunt

Selling Clough is fucking madness

No body on here knows how he may turn out
We've had him for over ten years, invested all that time and effort in getting him this far

A few weeks ago he was supposed to being watched by a number of Prem clubs, why would you accept the first offer from a team two places above us in the Championship, every club now knows the asking price! 
To put Clough in this position is a betrayal of the trust he and his family had in BWFC
We must have 30 players who should go before Clough

37Should we really sell Clough? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should we really sell Clough? Sun Jan 10 2016, 21:53

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I think he's got potential to be a premier league striker, no idea whether he'll ever play at that level. 

He'll never achieve his potential at bolton thats for sure.

38Should we really sell Clough? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should we really sell Clough? Sun Jan 10 2016, 22:12

Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

We bought a little 8 stone wet through 19 year old forward from Bournemouth a few years ago.

Clough is in the same category as that player from Bournemouth, in my opinion.

39Should we really sell Clough? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should we really sell Clough? Sun Jan 10 2016, 22:19

How are Sordell and The Duke doing at Burnley?

Very Happy

40Should we really sell Clough? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should we really sell Clough? Sun Jan 10 2016, 22:23

Sordell scored for chelmsford in league 1 today i think. Against Charlton

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum