Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Microsoft Word download that won't kill my laptop.

+3
boltonbonce
doffcocker
Boggersbelief
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Anybody know of any sites where you can download any version of Word for free without it resulting in a trip to PC World to fix your laptop?

Long story short - I've got the proper version on my other laptop complete with product licence but it's packed up and I need to do a bit of work from home and email it off.

The version on here "isn't exactly sanctioned by Microsoft" if you get my drift and it won't let me create and edit new documents.

There's a bottle of something fizzy in it for anybody who helps me out and doesn't take the piss because this is important.

Cheers.

I just use google docs these days, totally free, does everything you need it to and saves everything to the cloud so you can get it wherever you are.

If you really want word you can download a months free trial remotely from Microsoft's website, have to put your card details in I think but just cancel it before it gets to payment.

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:Anybody know of any sites where you can download any version of Word for free without it resulting in a trip to PC World to fix your laptop?

Long story short - I've got the proper version on my other laptop complete with product licence but it's packed up and I need to do a bit of work from home and email it off.

The version on here "isn't exactly sanctioned by Microsoft" if you get my drift and it won't let me create and edit new documents.

There's a bottle of something fizzy in it for anybody who helps me out and doesn't take the piss because this is important.

Cheers.

Get the iPhone app

I use Libre office suite free to download. Exactly the same as word.

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

When all my uni mates were paying £50-£100 for Microsoft Office 2010 or whatever it was I was getting the same thing for 99p from the charity shop. Yes it was ten years out of date, but it got me through uni and I still use it to this day.

If ever it stops working, I won't be buying or downloading a new one, the first thing I'll do is check them shelves in the charity shops that are usually full of crap. So that's my advice to Bread.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Why not sign up for a month long trial with another Microsoft account? No obligation to buy after that.

Cheers fellas. 

Boncey, will it not suss out that I've got as blag operating system tries to install itself and stop?

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Open Office from Apache works exactly like Office 2010 including Word and is free to d/l, update etc. I've used it for years and have no problem importing docs from Microsoft Word to Open Office and vice versa.

If your o/s isn't quite 'kosher' don't worry, a trial version of MS Office or MSWord won't hurt it. Normally if an o/s is going to be picked up that way it happens when you try to update it via the internet. MS Office trial downloads are usually good for thirty days so if your faulty machine is going to be fixed in less time than that you should be fine with it. 

One other option would be to transfer the HDD from your kaput machine and stick it in the one that works or if that's not possible put it in an external caddy to connect to the working computer with a USB lead.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'm afraid you might have to 'suck it and see'.

Bollotom2014

Bollotom2014
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Trouble is with the freebies like Open Office can throw out strange formatting when opened at the other end with, for instance, Word and Excel. I have a spare MS Office 2007 but it's 500Mb and I don't think it will attach to an email

Cheers again all.

I've emailed off a message saying the stuff I'm working on won't be available until "early next week" which gives me time to take the broken laptop to my mate Mr Mobiles in the morning and get him to sort it (as I probably should've done months ago) and thus solve my problem.

Thanks for all the suggestions though.

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Who got the ' fizzy ' ?

Mr Mobiles tomorrow.

And being a Muslim, he doesn't drink alcohol, so it'll be a bottle of coke.

Bollotom2014

Bollotom2014
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Breadman wrote:Mr Mobiles tomorrow.

And being a Muslim, he doesn't drink alcohol, so it'll be a bottle of coke.

Well that's fizzy.

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Cheers BTID but it didn't work.

It won't accept my email address / password combo when I try and activate it.

I'll take the other one to my mate in the morning. It needs doing anyway and this is my incentive.

Thanks anyway mate.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum