Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Who is the best snooker player ever?

+10
Numpty 28723
Norpig
scottjames30
BoltonTillIDie
MartinBWFC
finlaymcdanger
boltonbonce
Fabians Right Peg
karlypants
Sluffy
14 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Who is the best snooker player ever? Empty Who is the best snooker player ever? Tue Feb 16 2016, 21:06

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

It got me thinking a bit how talented Ronnie O'Sullivan must be when he wasn't arsed enough to go for a 147 the other day because the prize money for it was too small at £10,000.

Anybody else would love to get a maximum but its something Ronnie is capable of doing at any time that he can afford to turn his nose up at doing one if he chooses.

I'm old enough to remember the great Joe Davies but to young to have seen him play although I did see his wonderful brother Fred compete.

I've seen them all since.

I've been in the company of world champions John Spencer and Terry Griffiths, I've endured players like Cliff Thorburn and the monotonous Steve Davies. Did not feel the excitement with Stephen Hendry when he won but did with Jimmy White - although he lost!

Alex Higgins is probably the players player but for me O'Sullivan is the best.

He's flawed and troubled, his personal life is not the best - his dad was/is in jail - but he can play snooker like no one else can.

Anybody disagree, if so who do you thing is the best player ever?

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

He is ambidextrous with his cue as well!

I think he is the only player to be able to play with both hands?

Fabians Right Peg

Fabians Right Peg
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Bill Werbeniuck

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Remember Eddie Charlton? He could put a glass eye to sleep.

finlaymcdanger

finlaymcdanger
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I completely lost touch with snooker when I left the country but Jimmy White and Tony Knowles were always favorites of mine back in the day. A few mates and I used to play at John Spencer's snooker hall.

MartinBWFC

MartinBWFC
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

karlypants wrote:He is ambidextrous with his cue as well!

I think he is the only player to be able to play with both hands?
Jimmy White could play with both hands.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I've always found two hands to be essential.

MartinBWFC

MartinBWFC
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

boltonbonce wrote:I've always found two hands to be essential.
Especially to somebody as accident prone as you.

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Stephen Henry used to be a good player, but Ronnie is a great player.

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ronnie, I remember him teaching Henry a lesson of how to get comfortable on his chair.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Fabians Right Peg wrote:Bill Werbeniuck
 it has to be Big Bill, who else could play at such a high level after drinking 10 pints per session  :drinks:

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

finlaymcdanger wrote:I completely lost touch with snooker when I left the country but Jimmy White and Tony Knowles were always favorites of mine back in the day. A few mates and I used to play at John Spencer's snooker hall.
 i used to go to the Rileys on Brownlow Way precinct many years ago, happy days

Numpty 28723

Numpty 28723
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Not many snooker players get a suite named after them down at the Phoenix Club do they?
Who is the best snooker player ever? Img_8

I rest my case.

(Knowlsey, why don't you get together with a few of your wealthy cue-wielding mates and step up to the table with a cheeky last-minute bid for the club? Your mate Reidy can get on board as well if he wants to.)

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I met Bill Burpn'puke once when he did a snooker exhibition at a pub called the Little B in Sale. He used to have a camper van and sleep in the pub car park overnight so he wouldn't get done for drink driving. He couldn't half shift some ale. RIP.

Last edited by Reebok Trotter on Wed Feb 17 2016, 11:44; edited 1 time in total

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I was brought up on Ray Reardon, John Spencer, Eddie Charlton, Rex Williams and Perrie Mans but they were never as flamboyant as Alex Higgins or Jimmy White.
Jimmy White was probably the greatest player never to win the World Championship but Ronnie O' Sullivan has to be the most talented snooker player ever. He is the George Best of snooker. A flawed genius in the same mould as Higgins.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Reebok Trotter wrote:I was brought up on Ray Reardon, John Spencer, Eddie Charlton, Rex Williams and Perrie Mans but they were never as flamboyant as Alex Higgins or Jimmy White.
Jimmy White was probably the greatest player never to win the World Championship but Ronnie O' Sullivan has to be the most talented snooker player ever. He is the George Best of snooker. A flawed genius in the same mould as Higgins.
The difference between O'sullivan and Higgins,is technique.
For all his flamboyance,the O'sullivan technique is flawless. He does everything right.
Higgins was all over the place,moving on the shot,twitching,you name it. He was a genius depite his technique,not because of it,which is why I'll always rank him higher than O'sullivan.

Fabians Right Peg

Fabians Right Peg
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Norpig wrote:
 it has to be Big Bill, who else could play at such a high level after drinking 10 pints per session  :drinks:

I read a piece on from his obituary:

"While playing in the 1980 World Team Cup challenge, Werbeniuk's weight was so substantial that he managed to split his trousers, live on BBC television. On another occasion, he literally drank the Scottish professional Eddie Sinclair under the snooker table by consuming 42 pints. At one stage, the inland revenue allowed his spending on lager as a tax deductible expense."

Think he was quoted after drinking the 42 pints as saying "I'm off to the bar for a proper drink"

Most people don't realise the drinking was partly to deal with the yips, hence why I think it was tax deductible?

You couldn't make it up.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The Canadians had a good snooker squad in the seventies and eighties. Apart from Big Bill they had Cliff ' The Grinder ' Thorburn and Kirk ' Cokehead ' Stevens and when Stevens went off the rails, Jim Wych took his spot.

The worst games ever to watch was when the 'Grinder' came up against ' Interesting.'  An insomniacs wet dream.

MartinBWFC

MartinBWFC
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Reebok Trotter wrote:The Canadians had a good snooker squad in the seventies and eighties. Apart from Big Bill they had Cliff ' The Grinder ' Thorburn and Kirk ' Cokehead ' Stevens and when Stevens went off the rails, Jim Wych took his spot.

The worst games ever to watch was when the 'Grinder' came up against ' Interesting.'  An insomniacs wet dream.
Or even worse Terry Griffiths.

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

boltonbonce wrote:I've always found two hands to be essential.

Is that when taking prostate cancer prevention exercises? Very Happy

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum