Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Today's young shop staff are lacking respect.

+13
MartinBWFC
Mr Magoo
Bwfc1958
karlypants
Natasha Whittam
finlaymcdanger
doffcocker
gloswhite
Boggersbelief
wanderlust
scottjames30
Leeds_Trotter
Lard Lad
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

Natasha Whittam wrote:
karlypants wrote:I didn't expect you to be shopping in Argossy! Laughing

I like to fiddle with common folk every now and then in the dark, its the only way i get a shag.
Very Happy

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I don't shag, I make love. But not for over 10 years.

Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

Natasha Whittam wrote:I don't shag, I make love. But not for over 10 years.
You may make love, but I bet its like a nightmare for the other person when you turn the lights on. affraid

MartinBWFC

MartinBWFC
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Natasha Whittam wrote:I don't shag, I make love. But not for over 10 years.
So you don't consider Cedric smashing your back door in as love making?

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

obscene.

MartinBWFC

MartinBWFC
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Hipster_Nebula wrote:obscene.
Boring.

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Laughing

Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

Hipster_Nebula wrote:obscene.
Today's young shop staff are lacking respect. - Page 2 Obscene

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I often get referred to as Luv by female staff when I'm shopping at markets. I don't find it offensive at all. It's simply a northern term of endearment. Some people take simple off the cuff remarks far too seriously. I was on holiday in Tenerife with a mate of mine who hails from Wigan. Our nearest local bar was run by a cockney from London and the first night we called in, I went to the bar and he opened with, 'What would you like Squire?'

My mate was pissing himself with the Squire reference but it didn't phase me or upset me in the slightest.

Leeds_Trotter

El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

People take offense too easy nowadays RT, that's the problem with this country. You can't say anything these days, without the politically correct brigade getting their knickers in a twist.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Leeds_Trotter wrote:People take offense too easy nowadays RT, that's the problem with this country. You can't say anything these days, without the politically correct brigade getting their knickers in a twist.

You miss the point. It isn't offensive, it's unprofessional. The whole point of the thread.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Leeds_Trotter wrote:People take offense too easy nowadays RT, that's the problem with this country. You can't say anything these days, without the politically correct brigade getting their knickers in a twist.

You miss the point. It isn't offensive, it's unprofessional. The whole point of the thread.

Perhaps if companies paid professional wages to their shop staff then they would get a better standard of dealing with the customers.

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958
Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!

Reebok Trotter wrote:
Natasha Whittam wrote:

Perhaps if companies paid professional wages to their shop staff then they would get a better standard of dealing with the customers.
Fair point. If you pay peanuts you get monkeys.

Leeds_Trotter

El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

What is unprofessional is not acknowledging a customer at all. Just because someone said morning love, or morning pal it doesn't mean they are unprofessional. They are being polite and trying to engage in a bit of conversation with a customer. In my eyes people who want to be addressed as Sir or Mr, everywhere they go is a self-righteous, pompous arsehole.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I deal with customers all day every day and would be extremely annoyed with any member of my staff who failed to use "Sir" or "Ma'am" and the customer's name (ie Mr Smith, Mrs Jones). 

Using terms like mate is an instant accreditation fail and since my staff have to pass their accreditations twice a week they all know better than to do it. Admittedly our contact with the customer is primarily by telephone or skype when we talk to them but even if it were face to face I would require and expect the same level of courtesy. I may be an old fart but frankly I've worked in the service and retail sector for almost my entire adult life and feel the way standards have slipped in the last ten years is sad. 

That said if anyone ever says "Have a nice day" like they do in the US to me I do feel an almost immediate urge to rip off their head and take a dump down their neck. That particular Americanism absolutely infuriates me. When a transaction is over a simple "Goodbye Sir." is more than sufficient. The false smiles and forced cheer the yanks try and train into every retail worker really annoys me. It's one more proof they're about style rather than substance.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Leeds_Trotter wrote:What is unprofessional is not acknowledging a customer at all. Just because someone said morning love, or morning pal it doesn't mean they are unprofessional. They are being polite and trying to engage in a bit of conversation with a customer. In my eyes people who want to be addressed as Sir or Mr, everywhere they go is a self-righteous, pompous arsehole.

Clueless. Of course they are being unprofessional - do you think any company or business instructs their staff to say "mate" or "luv".

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

scottjames30 wrote:Or why should they give a fuck what you think?

Hopefully they won't. Then they'll stop trying to sell me stuff. They may even recognise that whilst I'm in their shop/restaurant/pub I am perfectly capable of deciding for myself what (if anything) I'd like to buy. With a bit of luck, they may even recognise that I'm not their mate and stop toadying.

But if they are the running dogs of capitalism that their jobs dictate they should be, they have presumably got to earn their living by selling/building customer relations and all that other Business 101 stuff they have signed up for - and they aren't going to have any luck with that if they call me "mate".

And in my capacity as retired business guru/serial entrepreneur/government adviser etc I would strongly advise them to learn their craft properly or they will fail and end up out of a job and whingeing about how unfair the world is and how nobody gives them any respect just because they were too up themselves to provide an acceptable level of customer service.

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:
scottjames30 wrote:Or why should they give a fuck what you think?

They may even recognise that whilst I'm in their shop/restaurant/pub I am perfectly capable of deciding for myself what (if anything) I'd like to buy. 

They might think you're special, and are just trying to do a good deed for the day.

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Something that really pisses me off is the 'Have a nice rest of the day'
The Jaguar service girl said to me only yesterday. If it wasn't for the fact that she's really nice, I'd complain Very Happy

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958
Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!

gloswhite wrote:Something that really pisses me off is the 'Have a nice rest of the day'
The Jaguar service girl said to me only yesterday. If it wasn't for the fact that she's really nice, I'd complain Very Happy
How can it piss you off when someone says, "enjoy the rest of your day?" 

You've spent that much time down south you've turned into an actual miserable southerner glos. Get yourself back to Bolton for some therapy to get your friendliness back on track.  Very Happy

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum