Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Jimmy hopes to stay in first-team picture next season

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Jimmy Phillips has revealed he would welcome a conversation with the new manager regarding his own position at Wanderers.

Phillips took charge of the first team last month but could not engineer a miraculous escape from relegation to League One.

He was among more than 50 applicants for the manager's position but is not on a three-man shortlist thought to include Northampton Town boss Chris Wilder and John Carver, who just about managed to steer Newcastle away from Premier League relegation a year ago.

Whoever the new man is – and an announcement is expected by the end of next week – Phillips feels he has something to offer next term's squad as a member of the coaching staff.

“I really enjoyed my time when I worked with the first team previously although it was six or seven years ago,” he recalled. “It's somewhere that I always wanted to work in some capacity when I finished playing.

“I don't know whether it will be a decision that I can influence though, it will probably be that, whoever the new manager is, he'll have his own ideas of who he wants his coaching staff to be, it's certainly something to be discussed.”

And as for the future of his assistant Peter Reid, Phillips says he's been too busy to have a discussion with the former England midfielder about his plans for the foreseeable future.

“Myself and Reidy haven't talked about that, but he's been a great help with all his experience,” he added.

“I think he's been 25 years as a manager so with all the experiences he's had he's been a good sounding board.

"We've discussed team selections, tactics, formations – you name it, we've discussed it in depth before we've been on the training ground or put a team out on the pitch and that has been the case this week.

“We're hoping against Middlesbrough on Saturday, one of my old clubs, we can put in a performance that will give a good impression of our great club.”

Meanwhile, a month after the departure of Neil Lennon, Wanderers have announced his assistant and first-team coach have also left the Macron Stadium.

Steve Walford and Garry Parker were understood to have been in talks with the club after Lennon left by mutual consent in mid-March.

Given that Phillips was named as interim manager it's perhaps most likely these talks centred around the pair's severance packages.

Yesterday their departures became official, with a brief statement published on the club website thanking both for their contributions.

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum