Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Saturday was never going to be about the football

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

More than a thousand Wanderers fans descended upon West London determined to see our Championship days out in style.

We got the 8.15am train from Manchester Piccadilly along with celebrating Burnley fans, on their way to their promotion party at Charlton.

They were claiming 21 matches unbeaten but we could out-do that with our unbroken 24 winless away-match record.

We played live Monopoly on the London Underground down to Putney Bridge and joined the party at the Eight Bells, which we could hear as we came out of the tube station.

After a gentle stroll in the sunshine along the banks of the River Thames, we arrived at Craven Cottage for our last match at this level for at least 12 months.

Rob Holding was mysteriously left out of the squad, prompting rumours of multi-million pound bids from Premiership teams.

This made room for Oscar Threlkeld to return.

On the field, the match was a big disappointment as we failed miserably to end the season with a flourish and instead went out with a whimper.

Off the field was a different story as the Bolton fans kept up the singing for the whole match.

Some were in fancy dress while there were plenty of inflatables being knocked about, despite the stewards’ party pooping confiscations of some of them.

At the end of the match, the players came over to the fans and shirts were thrown to the crowd and David Wheater even gave his boots to one lucky Bolton fan.

After the match we spent a very pleasant couple of hours basking in the sunshine at the White Horse in Parsons Green and then it was back to the Monopoly board to get to the Rajdoor Indian restaurant near Baker Street for a very decent curry, al-fresco.

Saturday was never going to be about the football. It was about getting this horrible season over with. Now the real work of turning this club around starts.

Who knows how many players have played their last game for Bolton?

We’re going to have to get used to our better young players attracting attention from higher clubs. But if we can get decent money for them, instead of the usual give-away pittances of the past, one or two multi-million pound sales might be game-changers for our club.

Our young players’ loyalty is commendable but sadly, they might help Bolton more by being sold.

Source

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

For me, it was all about the football. It was another window on our future.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

wanderlust wrote:For me, it was all about the football. It was another window on our future.
Was it though lusty? Let's face it we don't have a clue how many of those youngsters will still be here in August. We already know several are out of contract along with the likes of Wheater so is it really a useful indicator of future performances? I'm not so sure. In fact I think the author of this article might well be right and the better kids may well have to be sold just to fund the wages of the seniors who are still here.

And yes I know I keep banging on about it but the continued existence of and silence about the embargo worries me. Never mind a new manager, we won't attract anyone decent unless he knows he can make changes in the squad and bring people in not just sell them off. 

I'm personally hoping and praying that the club make some kind of announcement on that topic sometime in the next few days. If they do that and it's positive then I'll start thinking about a brighter future for our club.

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

None of the Saturday's were about football as far as I can tell Sad

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum