Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Owen Coyle sacked again!

+20
xmiles
rammywhite
terenceanne
Keegan
MartinBWFC
doffcocker
Norpig
karlypants
BoltonTillIDie
Copper Dragon
Bwfc1958
wanderlust
Hipster_Nebula
Natasha Whittam
boltonbonce
scottjames30
bryan458
Boggersbelief
whatsgoingon
Sluffy
24 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 5]

61Owen Coyle sacked again! - Page 4 Empty Re: Owen Coyle sacked again! Tue Feb 21 2017, 17:23

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

The one good thing he did was sign Holden. Once Holden was injured he was exposed as a clueless tosser. He made nothing but bad signings and bad decisions after that.

It's a tough call as to who was the worst manager between him and Lee but at least we got rid of Lee fairly quickly.

62Owen Coyle sacked again! - Page 4 Empty Re: Owen Coyle sacked again! Tue Feb 21 2017, 17:24

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Lennon was worse than Coyle and Lee. Freedman too.

63Owen Coyle sacked again! - Page 4 Empty Re: Owen Coyle sacked again! Tue Feb 21 2017, 17:26

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Natasha Whittam wrote:Lennon was worse than Coyle and Lee. Freedman too.

WUM.

64Owen Coyle sacked again! - Page 4 Empty Re: Owen Coyle sacked again! Tue Feb 21 2017, 17:31

bryan458

bryan458
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Wonder if he's taken any positives from this ? !!

65Owen Coyle sacked again! - Page 4 Empty Re: Owen Coyle sacked again! Tue Feb 21 2017, 17:41

observer

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Natasha Whittam wrote:Lennon was worse than Coyle and Lee. Freedman too.
You should do a work-up of quantitative reasons to find one worse than the next.  Not that I disagree, but we need an analysis of the bungling.  The common thread is the lack of oversight from ED and PG at the time and just plain poor picks for managing.  We should have never been relegated from the PL as well... two games in which we would have stayed up, both thrown away in the final minutes.  Of course, with the financial disaster that lied ahead, the relegation was inevitable.  Signing Zat Knight to an additional two years may be the worst decision made... or it could have been signing Elmander... or even better Marvin Sordell.  Let's just hope we can financially balance the books and get some stability in the ownership and then hope to finish in the top two.

66Owen Coyle sacked again! - Page 4 Empty Re: Owen Coyle sacked again! Tue Feb 21 2017, 18:19

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I judge managers on how much happiness they brought to me. Coyle took us to an FA Cup semi-final playing some great football - I remember being 3-up at Wolves having totally destroyed them for 45 minutes. Sublime. And he was doing it against Premier League sides.

Neil Lennon brought no happiness to my life. We probably lost every game under him, it certainly felt like it. I don't remember any sublime football, just Emile Heskey.

Dougie Freedman was so negative he would have been -1 if he'd been a character in Numberjacks. I think his brand of football brought more Bolton fans to the verge of suicide than all the others put together.

Surely any football manager is tasked with making the fans happy, even if it's just briefly? Coyle did that.

67Owen Coyle sacked again! - Page 4 Empty Re: Owen Coyle sacked again! Tue Feb 21 2017, 18:37

Bread2.0

Bread2.0
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Gary Megson is the reason I rarely go to the match nowadays.

He broke Bolton Wanderers for me.

I can't remember who we were playing but it was a night game and I'd rushed home from work, shoved a sandwich down my neck and then legged it up to Manchester Rd in Walkden to get the bus.

It was freezing and as I sat there wondering if I'd ever regain the feeling in my feet, it just struck me - What the fuck are you doing organising your life around this (expensive) dross?

So I walked out and phoned Mrs B for a lift home.

I had a season ticket for over 20 years and I've been allover the country watching BWFC over the last 35 years and I thoroughly enjoyed it in the main but that night something snapped.

I've seen some very poor Bolton teams during that period but Megson's team(s) finally caused me to fall out of love with going to the match.

So, for me at least, Gary Megson will forever be Bolton's worst manager - S'not scientific, it's just based on personal experience.

68Owen Coyle sacked again! - Page 4 Empty Re: Owen Coyle sacked again! Tue Feb 21 2017, 18:44

wessy

wessy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Yep the draw away to Bayern Munich under Megson was the worst of times.? How could it possibly get worse.lol

For me Sammy Lee was clueless.

69Owen Coyle sacked again! - Page 4 Empty Re: Owen Coyle sacked again! Tue Feb 21 2017, 18:49

Bread2.0

Bread2.0
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

wessy wrote:Yep the draw away to Bayern Munich under Megson was the worst of times.? How could it possibly get worse.lol

If we're playing the UEFA Cup card, lest we forget, Megson famously prioritised a league game against Wigan over a last 16 tie away at Sporting Lisbon and played the second string, thus ending our European adventure in ignominious fashion.

And we then went on to lose the Wigan game despite their playing with only 10 men for 90% of the game.

Yeah, cheers Gaz......

70Owen Coyle sacked again! - Page 4 Empty Re: Owen Coyle sacked again! Tue Feb 21 2017, 18:56

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bread2.0 wrote:So, for me at least, Gary Megson will forever be Bolton's worst manager - S'not scientific, it's just based on personal experience.

I feel it's important to finish the story.

At what point did you buy the armchair? Before, during or after Megson?

71Owen Coyle sacked again! - Page 4 Empty Re: Owen Coyle sacked again! Tue Feb 21 2017, 19:02

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Natasha Whittam wrote:I judge managers on how much happiness they brought to me. Coyle took us to an FA Cup semi-final playing some great football - I remember being 3-up at Wolves having totally destroyed them for 45 minutes. Sublime. And he was doing it against Premier League sides.

Neil Lennon brought no happiness to my life. We probably lost every game under him, it certainly felt like it. I don't remember any sublime football, just Emile Heskey.

Dougie Freedman was so negative he would have been -1 if he'd been a character in Numberjacks. I think his brand of football brought more Bolton fans to the verge of suicide than all the others put together.

Surely any football manager is tasked with making the fans happy, even if it's just briefly? Coyle did that.

You make a fair point but how much happiness did Lee bring into your life? The idiot only won one league game out of eleven and had a win percentage of 21% compared to Lennon's 23% and Freedman's 35%. Coyle achieved less than Freedman with 33%. Even Phil Neal achieved 38%.

72Owen Coyle sacked again! - Page 4 Empty Re: Owen Coyle sacked again! Tue Feb 21 2017, 19:07

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Agent Coyle strikes again. Now where will he turn up next? Oldham, Rochdale, Bury and Stockport must be on his wish list.

73Owen Coyle sacked again! - Page 4 Empty Re: Owen Coyle sacked again! Tue Feb 21 2017, 19:45

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Gartside gave Sammy the job out of spite. His appointment was supposed to show the world that BSA wasn't irreplaceable. His assistant could do just as good a job.
I felt a bit sorry for him in his oversized suit,and that daft mike round his face.

74Owen Coyle sacked again! - Page 4 Empty Re: Owen Coyle sacked again! Tue Feb 21 2017, 20:05

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

xmiles wrote:

You make a fair point but how much happiness did Lee bring into your life? The idiot only won one league game out of eleven and had a win percentage of 21% compared to Lennon's 23% and Freedman's 35%. Coyle achieved less than Freedman with 33%. Even Phil Neal achieved 38%.  

A bit unfair to judge Lee on a handful of games. He inherited an aging squad and wanted (rightly or wrongly) to improve the style of football.

Who knows where he might have taken us given 30 or 40 games like all the other recent managers.

75Owen Coyle sacked again! - Page 4 Empty Re: Owen Coyle sacked again! Tue Feb 21 2017, 22:09

wessy

wessy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Bread2.0 wrote:
wessy wrote:Yep the draw away to Bayern Munich under Megson was the worst of times.? How could it possibly get worse.lol

If we're playing the UEFA Cup card, lest we forget, Megson famously prioritised a league game against Wigan over a last 16 tie away at Sporting Lisbon and played the second string, thus ending our European adventure in ignominious fashion.

And we then went on to lose the Wigan game despite their playing with only 10 men for 90% of the game.

Yeah, cheers Gaz......
Totally agree with all you say, just think we have had worse managers than Megson.

76Owen Coyle sacked again! - Page 4 Empty Re: Owen Coyle sacked again! Wed Feb 22 2017, 08:33

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

My least favourite has to be Freedman, his football was sterile and boring but it was his attitude when being interviewed that got right up my nose. Always a sneer on his face and thought he knew best, what a wanker!

Even Megson didn't wind me up as much and that's saying something.

Lee tried to change things too quickly, he wanted to play a more expansive type of football which was fine but he needed to change things gradually not rush straight in.

77Owen Coyle sacked again! - Page 4 Empty Re: Owen Coyle sacked again! Wed Feb 22 2017, 12:00

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Tony Mowbray is new Blackburn manager.

78Owen Coyle sacked again! - Page 4 Empty Re: Owen Coyle sacked again! Wed Feb 22 2017, 12:05

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

he's a glutton for punishment isn't he? He was at Coventry and look at the mess they are in. Frying pan and fire spring to mind but he can console himself with the big wages he'll get i suppose.

79Owen Coyle sacked again! - Page 4 Empty Re: Owen Coyle sacked again! Wed Feb 22 2017, 12:14

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

And free eggs.

80Owen Coyle sacked again! - Page 4 Empty Re: Owen Coyle sacked again! Wed Feb 22 2017, 13:22

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I don't think Sammy Lee had anywhere near enough games to implement his new style so I reckon he was unfairly treated by the club and the fans although we'll never know how it might have worked out. Coyle tried to play decent football too but he got the signings wrong (although I felt at the time nobody wanted to come to BWFC anymore unless we lavished money on them) and at the end he'd clearly overstayed his welcome. He wasn't great but equally he wasn't the worst.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum