Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Murray v Federer

+7
Angry Dad
gloswhite
chipbutty
bwfc71
Reebok Trotter
Hipster_Nebula
Sluffy
11 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Murray v Federer  Empty Murray v Federer Sun Jul 08 2012, 16:24

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Do we want the Brit to win or the Jock to lose?

Hope he wins myself.

2Murray v Federer  Empty Re: Murray v Federer Sun Jul 08 2012, 19:09

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Not a Murray fan but i think he gave a terrific showing today. Lad deserves a grand slam and i think he'll get one.

Fed - Genius on the court. Not really a big follower of Tennis but you had to love some of his shots today.

3Murray v Federer  Empty Re: Murray v Federer Sun Jul 08 2012, 19:42

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Federer played exceptionally well. On his day he is virtually unplayable. I felt sorry for Murray because when the roof came on Federer seemed to be a different player.

4Murray v Federer  Empty Re: Murray v Federer Sun Jul 08 2012, 20:27

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

The roof did seem to make the big difference between the two!! But there was only ever going to be one winner of that match - Federer.

Can't believe how much stick I got from FB friends when I put as my status "C'mon Federer" before the match....

5Murray v Federer  Empty Re: Murray v Federer Sun Jul 08 2012, 20:32

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It's easy to dismiss him as being dour but I like his attitude. He is a very talented player who just happened to be born around the same time as Novak and Nadal. FWIW he picked up 500 grand for today's performance. Not bad for a few hours work.

Last edited by Reebok Trotter on Sun Jul 08 2012, 20:51; edited 1 time in total

6Murray v Federer  Empty Re: Murray v Federer Sun Jul 08 2012, 20:50

chipbutty

chipbutty
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

All this pathetic Murray-mania is an example of the influence of the press. He is a tennis player, that's all just a tennis player. But one who has made £millions and no doubt will go on to make £millions more. OK good luck to him, I'm sure he has worked very hard and spent hours practicing to get where he is today.

Personally, from what bit I've seen of the man, I don't like him. I think he's a charmless prat.

Edit.

PS. There are actually people who try to defend him by saying that he is unlucky to be around at a time when there other players better than he is.

7Murray v Federer  Empty Re: Murray v Federer Sun Jul 08 2012, 20:55

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

chipbutty wrote:All this pathetic Murray-mania is an example of the influence of the press. He is a tennis player, that's all just a tennis player. But one who has made £millions and no doubt will go on to make £millions more. OK good luck to him, I'm sure he has worked very hard and spent hours practicing to get where he is today.

Personally, from what bit I've seen of the man, I don't like him. I think he's a charmless prat.

I guess you have to look at it in a sporting context. The first man from the British Isles to reach the final in 74 years.

Had he been born in London he would have been touted as a tennis god. He is a great player but is unfortunate in that he is overshadowed by Federer, Nadal and Novak.

To be rated as the fouth best player on the planet is no mean feat.

8Murray v Federer  Empty Re: Murray v Federer Sun Jul 08 2012, 20:58

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

chipbutty wrote:PS. There are actually people who try to defend him by saying that he is unlucky to be around at a time when there other players better than he is.

I will quite happily defend him. He is a very talented individual who has been playing tennis since he was knee high to a grasshopper. The fact he is a jock is irrelevant. He is determined and dedicated but has fallen short at the final hurdle. No disgrace in that. The only people who have beaten him are tennis greats.

9Murray v Federer  Empty Re: Murray v Federer Sun Jul 08 2012, 21:41

chipbutty

chipbutty
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

RT, did I mention that he is Scottish. Did I say it is a disgrace to lose to players who are better than he is?

Sorry but your post is dishonest.

10Murray v Federer  Empty Re: Murray v Federer Sun Jul 08 2012, 21:50

Trouble was he won the semi final and thought he had achieved something by reaching the final. Compare the reactions of Murray and Federer after their respective semi finals and you can see why Federer is a champion and Murray is just another "plucky" British loser.

11Murray v Federer  Empty Re: Murray v Federer Sun Jul 08 2012, 21:59

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

chipbutty wrote:
Sorry but your post is dishonest.

Dishonest ? How so ? I admire his determination. It wouldn't matter if he was Irish or Welsh. You said from the little you know of him you don't like him. I don't understand your reason for not liking him.

12Murray v Federer  Empty Re: Murray v Federer Sun Jul 08 2012, 22:01

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

OneOinCoyle wrote:Trouble was he won the semi final and thought he had achieved something by reaching the final.

He did achieve something. He reached the Wimbledon final and took a set off one of the greatest grass court players of all time. Federer and Sampras hold the record for most Wimbledon wins with seven each. It's no disgrace to lose against players of that ilk.

13Murray v Federer  Empty Re: Murray v Federer Sun Jul 08 2012, 22:12

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

He even showed some emotion this time, and that was a surprise !

14Murray v Federer  Empty Re: Murray v Federer Sun Jul 08 2012, 22:47

Reebok Trotter wrote:
OneOinCoyle wrote:Trouble was he won the semi final and thought he had achieved something by reaching the final.

He did achieve something. He reached the Wimbledon final and took a set off one of the greatest grass court players of all time. Federer and Sampras hold the record for most Wimbledon wins with seven each. It's no disgrace to lose against players of that ilk.

Your post sums up perfectly the British mentality. We as a nation judge losing in a final as some kind of success. Would Federer have considered losing in a final a success?

If you look at it, Nadal getting knocked out early, the least that Murray should have done is reach the final.

15Murray v Federer  Empty Re: Murray v Federer Sun Jul 08 2012, 23:02

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

Did anyone seriously expect him to beat fed in a final.

16Murray v Federer  Empty Re: Murray v Federer Sun Jul 08 2012, 23:37

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Today was the best I've seen Murray play. His problem was that there's only so far determination can get you. It was only a matter of time before Federer came into his own and became too much for him.

17Murray v Federer  Empty Re: Murray v Federer Mon Jul 09 2012, 00:48

Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

His first serve percentage went down below 50% after the first two sets and that's what let him down.

He shouldn't have walked to the court behind Federer either. Ger aht ot fkin road Fed!

18Murray v Federer  Empty Re: Murray v Federer Mon Jul 09 2012, 06:55

chipbutty

chipbutty
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

The fact he is a jock is irrelevant. He is determined and dedicated but has fallen short at the final hurdle. No disgrace in that. RT quote.

At no time have I mentioned his nationality or suggested he is a failure. You implyed I did. That is dishonest.

I did say I don't like him, you're right there. You don't have to know someone to have a feeling, one way or the other about them. You like him (do you know him?) I don't.

19Murray v Federer  Empty Re: Murray v Federer Mon Jul 09 2012, 11:12

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

chipbutty wrote:The fact he is a jock is irrelevant. He is determined and dedicated but has fallen short at the final hurdle. No disgrace in that. RT quote.

At no time have I mentioned his nationality or suggested he is a failure. You implyed I did. That is dishonest.

I did say I don't like him, you're right there. You don't have to know someone to have a feeling, one way or the other about them. You like him (do you know him?) I don't.

No, I don't know him but I admire his talent. I apologise if my comments made you think I was suggesting you didn't like him because he is Scottish. That wasn't the case. I was generalising because I know a lot of ' English ' people do not like him because of his heritage. The comment was not directed at you personally.

20Murray v Federer  Empty Re: Murray v Federer Mon Jul 09 2012, 12:13

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

IThe thing that will hurt Murray more from yesterday is I think he knows that he won't reach the wimbeldon final again. Well that's my opinion anyway. Djokovic will get to the final of it again I am sure of it and Nadal won't want to go out early again next year and will come back more pumped up to win the wimbeldon title again.

Murray played the best tennis I have ever seen him play in the first set and half but as soon as Fed found his rythem their was only going to be one winner and I think the roof going on was irrelevant to the outcome, murray was struggling quite a bit before rain stopped play.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum