Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Murray v Federer

+7
Angry Dad
gloswhite
chipbutty
bwfc71
Reebok Trotter
Hipster_Nebula
Sluffy
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

21Murray v Federer  - Page 2 Empty Re: Murray v Federer Mon Jul 09 2012, 12:23

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Wow. 4 semi finals in a row, about 6 years left at the top and apparently Murray "knows he won't reach the Wimbledon final again".

Mal Washington v Richard Krajicek anyone?

22Murray v Federer  - Page 2 Empty Re: Murray v Federer Mon Jul 09 2012, 12:31

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Murray is only 25 so barring serious injury he still has time to win a grand slam.

23Murray v Federer  - Page 2 Empty Re: Murray v Federer Mon Jul 09 2012, 12:37

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

largehat wrote:Wow. 4 semi finals in a row, about 6 years left at the top and apparently Murray "knows he won't reach the Wimbledon final again".

Mal Washington v Richard Krajicek anyone?

Ok that might not have been going through his head but come on can you really see him getting any better?

He has only ever won 1 set in any grand slam final he has been in, the top 3 are head and shoulders above him and he isn't getting any younger, plus the fact you can guarantee there will be another couple of world class player which come through in the next 2-3 years who maybe even better than Nadal and Djokovic.

IMO if he was going to win a slam he would have done it before now.

24Murray v Federer  - Page 2 Empty Re: Murray v Federer Mon Jul 09 2012, 12:49

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I believe he will win a Grand Slam, definitely. There are three better players than him in the circuit now but his record against Federer is played 16 won 8 and he is capable of beating them all.

Let me put it another way, even if you don't have particularly much faith in Murray's ability, Federer will retire over the next 3 years, then all it takes is one of the others to be injured/out of form and another to be involved in an upset and he is all of a sudden massive favourite.

Saying Murray will never reach the Wimbledon final again is similar to saying Chelsea won't reach the CL final again in the next 6 years. Nobody will tip them but they clearly have a sporting chance.

25Murray v Federer  - Page 2 Empty Re: Murray v Federer Mon Jul 09 2012, 13:52

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Did nobody else notice...

at 30:30, 6-5, in the second set, Murray lobbed Federer, the ball bounced on the baseline and was called out and it gave Federer a set point which he took. Murray didn't challenge it because Federer's body was in the way of his view, but I know if he's rewound this on Virgin+ as many times as I have he might feel robbed. It was clearly in, and it was a huge point. OK, Murray was outclassed in the end but even Federer thought he was lucky to take the second set, and had it gone to a tie-break, it might have been a different game altogether.

26Murray v Federer  - Page 2 Empty Re: Murray v Federer Mon Jul 09 2012, 15:42

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

I'm fairly sure that he had used up all his 'challenges' by then Doff.

27Murray v Federer  - Page 2 Empty Re: Murray v Federer Mon Jul 09 2012, 22:55

chipbutty

chipbutty
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

RT, no need to apologize, just crossed wires I think.

I think one reason I can't warm to him is the, way over the top, reporting that goes on. Even today although he lost, Can you imagine the fuss had he actually won.

If the attention he has been given gets the kids in parks playing then it's all worthwhile. The next British champ is out there somewhere. He/She shouldn't have to come from a family who can afford to pay to belong to a club.

28Murray v Federer  - Page 2 Empty Re: Murray v Federer Mon Jul 09 2012, 22:59

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

chipbutty wrote:RT, no need to apologize, just crossed wires I think.

I think one reason I can't warm to him is the, way over the top, reporting that goes on. Even today although he lost, Can you imagine the fuss had he actually won.

How is this Murray's fault?

Presumably you don't like any sporting competitor who receives over the top media coverage?

29Murray v Federer  - Page 2 Empty Re: Murray v Federer Mon Jul 09 2012, 23:03

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

chipbutty wrote:RT, no need to apologize, just crossed wires I think.

If the attention he has been given gets the kids in parks playing then it's all worthwhile. The next British champ is out there somewhere. He/She shouldn't have to come from a family who can afford to pay to belong to a club.

The LTA are spending millions to try and find young talent at grass roots level. Personally, it wouldn't bother me if a Wimbledon winner came from Wales or Ireland.

30Murray v Federer  - Page 2 Empty Re: Murray v Federer Mon Jul 09 2012, 23:14

chipbutty

chipbutty
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

Now then, how can I possibly try to defend something I didn't say? I no more said the saturation coverage was his fault than I mentioned his nationality.

Also you are wrong in your presumtions. I try form my opinions on what I see before me and not what I'm told by a reporter.

31Murray v Federer  - Page 2 Empty Re: Murray v Federer Mon Jul 09 2012, 23:18

chipbutty

chipbutty
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

RT, I don't understand why you are bringing Wales and N.I. into this. I said British.

32Murray v Federer  - Page 2 Empty Re: Murray v Federer Mon Jul 09 2012, 23:30

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

chipbutty wrote:Now then, how can I possibly try to defend something I didn't say? I no more said the saturation coverage was his fault than I mentioned his nationality.

Also you are wrong in your presumtions. I try form my opinions on what I see before me and not what I'm told by a reporter.

To be honest chipbutty, I enjoy reading your posts and you are obviously a person of some intelligence, but you've gone off the boil a bit in this thread IMO.

You said "I think one reason I can't warm to him is the, way over the top, reporting that goes on." So I asked how media coverage was Murray's fault and if you disliked other sports people who receive similar coverage. If you're saying it's not his fault then it's a fucking stupid reason "not to warm to him" IMO. Who cares what the media says?

It seems completely irrational to me to suggest that you don't warm to someone because of their media coverage, so I thought I'd ask you about it. Now you deny even saying it but it's there in black and sodding white. Talk about unreasonable. Fuck it, I won't be asking your opinion on anything again. I was just interested.

33Murray v Federer  - Page 2 Empty Re: Murray v Federer Mon Jul 09 2012, 23:41

chipbutty

chipbutty
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

Hat, let's try and bring this to reasonable conclusion. I said I think I can't warm to him because of the press coverage (or words to that effect). What I mean by this is that I may be subconsciously influenced by the histerea, not that I'm deliberately against him because of the attention he has been getting.

34Murray v Federer  - Page 2 Empty Re: Murray v Federer Mon Jul 09 2012, 23:44

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Great, I think we're 'together' (not in the doffcocker/sweetcorn sense) now. I hate the way the media in this country tells you who you should/shouldn't like. I see a lot of anti-Murray stuff on the basis that he considers himself Scottish and he isn't a grinning idiot. He gets a bad rap.

35Murray v Federer  - Page 2 Empty Re: Murray v Federer Tue Jul 10 2012, 00:02

chipbutty

chipbutty
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

Ok Hat; perhaps I didn't explain myself very well. I hope you understand my sentiments a little better now. I'm not 'Anti Andy' at all, just not a huge fan.

Well that's me done for the day. Good night.

36Murray v Federer  - Page 2 Empty Re: Murray v Federer Tue Jul 10 2012, 06:22

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

chipbutty wrote:RT, I don't understand why you are bringing Wales and N.I. into this. I said British.

I know. What I meant was that I would rather see someone born in the UK win Wimbledon rather than go for the ' plastic Brit ' option like Greg Rusedski.

37Murray v Federer  - Page 2 Empty Re: Murray v Federer Tue Jul 10 2012, 12:38

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Chipbutty how are you finding the price of red onions nowadays, still getting you hot under the collar?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum