Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

luckyPeterpiper's Weekly Blog

+13
boltonbonce
rogercpc
Banks of the Croal
Whitesince63
Norpig
xmiles
luckyPeterpiper
Bwfc1958
wanderlust
Reebok Trotter
BoltonTillIDie
Sluffy
karlypants
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

21luckyPeterpiper's Weekly Blog  - Page 2 Empty Re: luckyPeterpiper's Weekly Blog Tue Aug 09 2016, 13:07

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Barb Dwyer wrote:I only know because had the Roadrunner video of that season and watched it till it stopped working. It was a stooping header at the back post. We signed Mcginlay in September that year. He made his debut at Leyton Orient.
Fair enough mate and thanks for the correction. :good:

22luckyPeterpiper's Weekly Blog  - Page 2 Empty Re: luckyPeterpiper's Weekly Blog Tue Aug 09 2016, 13:08

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

One thing I remember from the Charlton game apart from the sadness of our final Burnden game was being gobsmacked at the deftness of Gerry Taggart's finish. Genuine class and if it had been a modern striker the pundits would have been purring.

23luckyPeterpiper's Weekly Blog  - Page 2 Empty Re: luckyPeterpiper's Weekly Blog Wed Aug 10 2016, 18:47

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Piper's Piece Number 3

1992/93 Season

The Run In That Rocked Burnden Park

For those of you who missed or didn't see Piper's Piece Number 2 a brief re-cap. I covered the first half of the 1992/93 season, Bruce Rioch's first at the helm of BWFC and left it where we dumped the then FA Cup holders Liverpool out of the competition, beating them 2-0 in a third round replay at Anfield, still for my money one of the all time greatest performances I've ever seen from the Trotters.

In the fourth round we faced Wolverhapton Wanderers who were in the First Division (now known as the Championship) and we rather unceremoniously dumped them out by two goals to nothing at Molyneux at the first time of asking with goals from Green and yep, you guessed it, Super John McGinlay. In the fifth round we faced off against Derby County and on February 13th, exactly one month after the triumph against Liverpool tired legs and a hectic schedule caught up with us. The 1st Division outfit beat us 3-1 and while we performed well and the scoreline did flatter the Rams the truth is they were the better side on the night. The Rams would play an epic quarter final against Sheffield Wednesday, drawing 3-3 at Pride Park before finally succumbing to the Yorkshiremen by a single goal to nil at Hillsborough. However, while all of that is interesting in its own right and the performance against Wolves was genuinely great it isn't nearly as important as what happened in the league.

Our run in to automatic promotion truly began on January 16th 1993, three days after beating Liverpool and you could have forgiven the players if they'd felt a little tired or perhaps even a bit deflated going back to the hum-drum business of third tier football so quickly. We lined up at Burnden Park to face Plymouth Argyle, a decent side who might even have felt they were in with a chance because we might be worn out after our Anfield exertions. If they did believe it they were deeply mistaken.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Seagraves, Walker and John “unable to miss” McGinlay smacked in three goals and Plymouth were basically steamrollered despite their own consolation strike. To be honest we looked like the lads had come back from a fortnight resting on a quiet beach somewhere and whatever Bruce and his backroom staff were putting in the pre-match drinks or half time tea is something I would just love to get my hands on. Our next victims (using the word advisedly) were Reading and we travelled there on 27th January, coming away with a 2-1 win thanks to the ever dependable David Lee and Andy Walker.

I'm not going to bore everyone to death by going through every game in that incredible run in. What I will do is touch on just a few of the highest points starting with the basic facts. After the Liverpool replay we had 22 league games left and here's how we handled them.

P W D L GF GA Pts

22 17 3 2 40 16 54

No, that is NOT a typo, we lost only TWICE in twenty two games and scored FORTY goals. What wouldn't any of us give for a run like that today? During that run in we played what I still think of as the most exhilarating, entertaining football I've ever seen in my days as a Trotter. There may have been individual matches where we played better later on but for sheer consistency of quality, for the way I woke up on every match day with a grin and positively looking forward to the game I still think there's been nothing quite like it since. What makes it even better in my eyes is this was just the start although we didn't know it then.

Along the way on that incredible rollercoaster ride to automatic promotion we didn't just beat teams, we slaughtered them, most notably a 4-1 spanking handed out to Exeter City on 20th March (goals from Kelly, McAteer, Walker and McGinlay) and a 5-0 hammering handed out to Chester City ( Brown, Seagraves, McGinlay, Patterson and Winstanley) on 24th April. In fact one thing that really stands out for me in looking back at the Rioch era is we had goals from everywhere, they seemed to come from all over the pitch in a way that doesn't happen today. The final day of that season saw us confirm second place and automatic promotion with a 1-0 win against Preston North End with a goal from (who else) Super John himself and boy we loved that!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I wish I had more room to write about this incredible season, to do it justice would take a hundred blogs and the better part of a year at least but it's now time (albeit reluctantly) for me to move on and simply close with this.

The 1992/93 season was the start of a resurgence that would see Bolton Wanderers charge into the Premier League and all the way to European qualification. Along the way we'd see a World Cup winner in our shirt, we'd see football magic so good it was named twice and we'd see players from every corner of the globe gracing the turf of the Reebok (now Macron) Stadium with their skills and we'd never fear anyone who faced us no matter how big they were supposed to be. Of course there was a downside and as it turned out a big one but speaking for myself I can only say it was one hell of a great ride while it lasted and that we shouldn't assume it cannot or will not happen again.

For me 1992/93 was the season it all began and I for one will never cease to be grateful for the fact I was lucky enough to be there to see it as it happened. I'm hoping that our younger fans might just be in for their own 'White Hot Era' soon, that Phil will be able to lead us on a journey similar to the one we enjoyed under Bruce Rioch's leadership.

Anyway, I hope you've enjoyed reading this and if you haven't done it yet why not head over to the Forum at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]? It's simple and free to join and you can talk about all things BWFC related in our BWFC banter, news and development sections or you can literally talk about anything that piques your interest in Wandering Minds. Come along and get involved in the conversation. In the meantime this wraps it up until next week for “Piper's Piece” and I hope you'll join me again then when I'll be talking about the summer of 1995 and Bruce's shock departure to Arsenal.

24luckyPeterpiper's Weekly Blog  - Page 2 Empty Re: luckyPeterpiper's Weekly Blog Wed Aug 10 2016, 19:32

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Fantastic read again Peter - well done mate!

Can't wait for your next blog.

25luckyPeterpiper's Weekly Blog  - Page 2 Empty Re: luckyPeterpiper's Weekly Blog Wed Aug 10 2016, 19:47

rogercpc

Nicky Hunt
Nicky Hunt

brilliant! :clap:

26luckyPeterpiper's Weekly Blog  - Page 2 Empty Re: luckyPeterpiper's Weekly Blog Wed Aug 10 2016, 20:06

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Great stuff Peter.
What about an in depth look at the Phil Neal years,depressing though much of them were.

27luckyPeterpiper's Weekly Blog  - Page 2 Empty Re: luckyPeterpiper's Weekly Blog Thu Aug 11 2016, 14:30

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

boltonbonce wrote:Great stuff Peter.
What about an in depth look at the Phil Neal years,depressing though much of them were.
That's actually not a bad idea bonce. I'll get on it after I finish with the Rioch years. To be honest I'm not going to go through the past season by season in chronological order anyway. Next up is 93/94 and then Bruce's final season in charge including his exit to Arsenal but once they're done then I'll have a dig into Phil Neale's tenure. In truth I think he was a bit unlucky with the timing and lack of resources available to him but there were some good moments for all of that.

I'll try and squeeze it in as a 'special' for you in the next week or so mate.

28luckyPeterpiper's Weekly Blog  - Page 2 Empty Re: luckyPeterpiper's Weekly Blog Thu Aug 11 2016, 15:34

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Sluffy wrote:Fantastic read again Peter - well done mate!

No I wasn't at the derby match nor did I claim to be. I based my opinion of it on the highlights I saw that night and the radio commentary I listened to during the day. I went to away games when I could afford them and while I missed this one I hardly think I need a public chastising on Facebook for confusing the name of Derby's ground almost a quarter of a century later. If you believe you can do better then write one yourself, it's your site after all.

29luckyPeterpiper's Weekly Blog  - Page 2 Empty Re: luckyPeterpiper's Weekly Blog Thu Aug 11 2016, 15:51

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

luckyPeterpiper wrote:
boltonbonce wrote:Great stuff Peter.
That's actually not a bad idea bonce. I'll get on it after I finish with the Rioch years. To be honest I'm not going to go through the past season by season in chronological order anyway. Next up is 93/94 and then Bruce's final season in charge including his exit to Arsenal but once they're done then I'll have a dig into Phil Neale's tenure. In truth I think he was a bit unlucky with the timing and lack of resources available to him but there were some good moments for all of that.

I'll try and squeeze it in as a 'special' for you in the next week or so mate.
Thanks for that Peter. Your pieces are real memory joggers.

30luckyPeterpiper's Weekly Blog  - Page 2 Empty Re: luckyPeterpiper's Weekly Blog Thu Aug 11 2016, 17:19

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Whitesince63 wrote:I've got to say Peter, those were fantastic times and much as the years under BSA were the best years I've ever seen the White Hot years under Rioch and Todd were without doubt the most exciting. This game in particular brought us to national attention but for sheer drama the later play off final against Reading was exceptional for so many reasons. When you think now of McGinlay and Walker up front, it makes you cry to think of what we have now!! That they were supported by the likes of Lee, McAteer and Stubsy is just incredible. What a team. I couldn't get to Anfield that night but I'll never forget the excitement of listening to it and seeing the highlights. Those were the days and as you rightly say, we rose from nothing, so come on Parky let's have more of the same. ;-))

Absolutely brilliant Pete, more of the same please.

This.

31luckyPeterpiper's Weekly Blog  - Page 2 Empty Re: luckyPeterpiper's Weekly Blog Thu Aug 11 2016, 22:49

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

luckyPeterpiper wrote:

No I wasn't at the derby match nor did I claim to be. I based my opinion of it on the highlights I saw that night and the radio commentary I listened to during the day. I went to away games when I could afford them and while I missed this one I hardly think I need a public chastising on Facebook for confusing the name of Derby's ground almost a quarter of a century later. If you believe you can do better then write one yourself, it's your site after all.

Eh?

What are you on about Peter?

I don't go on Facebook!

I think your confusing me with someone else.

Shocked

32luckyPeterpiper's Weekly Blog  - Page 2 Empty Re: luckyPeterpiper's Weekly Blog Thu Aug 11 2016, 22:53

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:
luckyPeterpiper wrote:

Eh?

What are you on about Peter?

I don't go on Facebook!

I think your confusing me with someone else.

Shocked

Peter means the comment you left (not actually sure if it was actually you who left the comment? Although has the name Sluffy) on the article on the News part (for newsnow).

33luckyPeterpiper's Weekly Blog  - Page 2 Empty Re: luckyPeterpiper's Weekly Blog Thu Aug 11 2016, 23:02

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

I've not left any comment anywhere - other than my post above.

Seems like someone has been playing silly games!

34luckyPeterpiper's Weekly Blog  - Page 2 Empty Re: luckyPeterpiper's Weekly Blog Thu Aug 11 2016, 23:09

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Just found it -

"Derby County FA Cup fifth round match was played on a Saturday afternoon, so they weren't the better team on the night. They were also still at the Baseball Ground, not Pride Park as you have stated. No wonder you thought the league campaign was more significant. Like most people on Bolton Nuts, you weren't actually there".

Somebody posted that under my user name.

Why the fuck would I be bad mouthing my own forum?

Jesus, I can't believe anybody thought it was actually me!

Shocked

35luckyPeterpiper's Weekly Blog  - Page 2 Empty Re: luckyPeterpiper's Weekly Blog Thu Aug 11 2016, 23:34

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It did click the second time I read it. Very Happy

36luckyPeterpiper's Weekly Blog  - Page 2 Empty Re: luckyPeterpiper's Weekly Blog Fri Aug 12 2016, 12:25

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958
Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!

I remember watching the Derby match on a big screen that they laid on at Burnden. The lever end was full as they had the screen at the other end of the ground. The Preston game is a great memory as well. There was the mass pitch invasion at the end and I got to go on after the mass stampede and thought it was amazing to be on the pitch and be part of the celebrations. I was only about 9 at the time but I still remember it like it was yesterday. The Preston fans left loads of small fires going on in the embankment. 

Another great blog Pete and another cracking trip down memory lane. 

Can't wait for the next one!

37luckyPeterpiper's Weekly Blog  - Page 2 Empty Re: luckyPeterpiper's Weekly Blog Fri Aug 12 2016, 14:02

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

OK folks, here's what happened. My wife Wendy saw the comment on the News site and basically flipped. I was asleep but when I click on this site I log in automatically and Wendy jumped on to leave her own opinion of the post. She doesn't know sluffy or the rest of you and she was extremely peeved when she saw what she thought was the owner of the site having a dig. We had a natter about it and I told her I didn't believe it was from sluffy. I have my own suspicions about who but I can't prove them and won't publicly air them as a result.

I hope that clears this up. PS whomever did leave the post is now on Wendy's 'send it to the taxidermist' list. I suggest that person finds a great big hole and hides in it because I wouldn't want to be you if Wendy finds you.  Very Happy

38luckyPeterpiper's Weekly Blog  - Page 2 Empty Re: luckyPeterpiper's Weekly Blog Sun Aug 14 2016, 18:28

NickFazer

NickFazer
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

I'll never forget that night at Anfield, we were fantastic and the Liverpool fans stayed to applaud us off at the end, class.

Looking forward to the next one LPP

39luckyPeterpiper's Weekly Blog  - Page 2 Empty Re: luckyPeterpiper's Weekly Blog Sun Aug 14 2016, 18:50

Sluffy wrote:I've not left any comment anywhere - other than my post above.

Seems like someone has been playing silly games!

It's probably the same prick who started having a pop at me on the BN site.

Like Peter, I suspect I know who it is.

Someone with too much time on their hands and a rep for stirring up pointless shit.

40luckyPeterpiper's Weekly Blog  - Page 2 Empty Re: luckyPeterpiper's Weekly Blog Sun Aug 14 2016, 18:51

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:
It's probably the same prick who started having a pop at me on the BN site.

Like Peter, I suspect I know who it is.

Someone with too much time on their hands and a rep for stirring up pointless shit.

Boggers or Scott?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum