Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

British Iranian hostage and the arms deal

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Heard this story but it seems to have disappeared - perhaps because of the controversy, so wondering if anyone knows any more?

The gist appears to be that a British guy's Iranian (dual nationality) wife was arrested and imprisoned in Tehran for "spying for Britain" but the consulate can't arrange a visit because Iran doesn't accept the concept of "dual nationality"

She is getting particularly harsh treatment and the husband alleges she is being use as a pawn as Britain owes Iran a huge debt over some historic arms deal - which despite the ruling of the International Court we are refusing to pay. It's allegedly billions.

I understand that given Britain's  role in the arms industry, but what I don't get is what the debt is for. Surely we weren't buying arms from Iran so is it for using their land to attack Saddam or paying Iranians to undermine the former Iraqi regime?

Anyone know anything more about this?

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Is this the one?
http://www.wsj.com/articles/irans-british-hostage-1473630294

Hope you can read it without signing in. Neutral

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

That's it. Please don't think I subscribe to The Wall Street Journal. It's a Brucie free zone. Embarassed

DEANO82

DEANO82
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

boltonbonce wrote:
That's it. Please don't think I subscribe to The Wall Street Journal. It's a Brucie free zone. Embarassed
It wasn't hard to find, just typed arms deal Iran Britain into Google.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I was too busy typing 'three men in a bath'. (Racing thread). Embarassed

DEANO82

DEANO82
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

boltonbonce wrote:I was too busy typing 'three men in a bath'. (Racing thread). Embarassed
I have no need for the racing thread for then next 10 days.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

DEANO82 wrote:
boltonbonce wrote:I was too busy typing 'three men in a bath'. (Racing thread). Embarassed
I have no need for the racing thread for then next 10 days.

Me neither!  Very Happy

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Cheers Deano  it's even weirder than I thought.

What kind of deal for tanks would be doing with Iran in the 70's that involves us paying £half a billion to them?

Oil tanks?

Dodgy.

DEANO82

DEANO82
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

wanderlust wrote:
Cheers Deano  it's even weirder than I thought.

What kind of deal for tanks would be doing with Iran in the 70's that involves us paying £half a billion to them?

Oil tanks?

Dodgy.
The story of it is on here

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/the-mod-the-arms-deal-and-a-30-year-old-bill-for-pound400m-1952972.html

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum