Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Derik Osede keen to show he's worth a starting place at Bolton Wanderers

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

When Derik last celebrated scoring a goal, Zinedine Zidane was watching from the dugout.

Wednesday night’s match-winner has waited a while to open his account at Bolton and is hoping his cup exploits will give him a leg-up in the estimation of current boss Phil Parkinson.

Derik reckons his last strike was for Real’s B Team – then managed by the French legend - against Hercules three years ago.

And though goal-scoring is not his forte, he is looking to capitalise on the absence of David Wheater through injury in tomorrow’s game against Millwall to get a rare first team start in defence.

“I have been training well, playing well every time I had the opportunity and it hasn’t been easy for me,” he told The Bolton News.

“I have not had many chances to score for Bolton, I am happy to score but now I am thinking about the future.

“I will keep working and try to do my best. I am putting all my effort in and giving everything I can for the shirt.

“I am comfortable with how I am playing. The team is confident and I like that but I do want to play my part.

“The manager has good players to make a choice.”

Derik played 28 games last season in all competitions and has flitted between centre-half, right-back and central midfield in his two seasons with the club.

The Spaniard is in the final year of his contract and hopes a return to the second tier will suit his game more than the rough and tumble of League One.

“I am not such a physical player so I think I would be better in the Championship or the higher divisions. In the lower league it is not my kind of character. I am not that kind of player,” he said.

“The Championship is a better fit.”

Parkinson is considering changes from the side beaten by Leeds over and above those forced by injury.

Derik is one of a handful of players who presented a good case for inclusion at the Den.

“I’m pleased for Derik because he has had to wait in the wings a little bit and not get the game-time he maybe wanted in pre-season but he grew into the game,” the manager said.

“We need to add something to what we did on Sunday. Morais coming back into the frame is big for us.

“Mark Little was at the best level he has been all pre-season too.”

Source

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

If we had a bit more steel in midfield Derik really should play in front of the defence rather than at the back because he hasn't got the physical presence needed at the back and yet he does have the ability to find a killer pass. Not quite Ivan Campo but could do a similar job. However that would require Parky to allow the lads to play rather than bypassing the midfield so often.

wessy

wessy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

To Compare Derik with Campo (really) Chris Taylor reminds me of George Best without the skill,drive and talent. I just never see why Derik gets so much praise he can't break into the team even when we were pants in our relegation season.

We hang out players to dry like Moxey etc, even Nicky Hunt who played regularly in the arguably the best ever Bolton side. Yet this guy is lorded over despite doing sod all. 

In his defence he did play one superb through ball that i can recall. He needs to be shipped out and replaced with someone who can actually make an impact.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wessy wrote:To Compare Derik with Campo (really) Chris Taylor reminds me of George Best without the skill,drive and talent. I just never see why Derik gets so much praise he can't break into the team even when we were pants in our relegation season.

We hang out players to dry like Moxey etc, even Nicky Hunt who played regularly in the arguably the best ever Bolton side. Yet this guy is lorded over despite doing sod all. 

In his defence he did play one superb through ball that i can recall. He needs to be shipped out and replaced with someone who can actually make an impact.
I agree we haven't seen the best of him, but he hasn't been played in the right position or in the right system to make the best use of his talent. And he does have a lot of talent. The question is whether or not Parky is willing to change, or at least try Derik in that role in training to measure the impact.

Maybe he has and the benefits weren't enough? Maybe Parky doesn't think it's worthwhile changing the system to give Derik free reign? 
In which case we might as well get rid because he's not a lot of use being slotted into various positions as a utility player.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wessy wrote:To Compare Derik with Campo (really) Chris Taylor reminds me of George Best without the skill,drive and talent. I just never see why Derik gets so much praise he can't break into the team even when we were pants in our relegation season.

We're the favourites to get relegated, are in a transfer embargo and don't have a pot to piss in. We're not getting any "impact" midfielders any time soon.

Derik is far from brilliant, but he's the only midfielder on our books who isn't scared of the ball.

We hung Moxey out to dry because he was utter shite. Every time he played.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

i think Derik would be great in front of the back 4 and should be given a run of games there. Not sure he would cope as a centre back in the Championship so defensive midfielder is ideal for him

wessy

wessy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Natasha Whittam wrote:

We're the favourites to get relegated, are in a transfer embargo and don't have a pot to piss in. We're not getting any "impact" midfielders any time soon.

Derik is far from brilliant, but he's the only midfielder on our books who isn't scared of the ball.

We hung Moxey out to dry because he was utter shite. Every time he played.
At least Moxey made the team, several managers overlook Osede wonder why?
Not many are scared of the ball on the bench. Agree that Moxey was shite but he still played a bigger part than the love of your life.

Wander: What do you base the "he is talented on" He looks lightweight to me and lacks any authority on the pitch, i concede that to get the full picture he needs to play, however i think he is one up from Chris Taylor in the managers plans.

If the embargo was not in place i doubt he would be on the payroll never mind the pitch.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wessy wrote:At least Moxey made the team, several managers overlook Osede wonder why?
Not many are scared of the ball on the bench. Agree that Moxey was shite but he still played a bigger part than the love of your life.

If the embargo was not in place i doubt he would be on the payroll never mind the pitch.

Do you understand that Derik isn't a left back? So comparing him with Moxey is silly.

Last season he wasn't really needed as we were in a shite league where we were expected to press teams. Plus we had Spearing.

This season we will be on the back foot more often than not, so we need a defensive midfielder who doesn't panic when he sees that white round thing.

PM me if you need further clarification.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wessy wrote:
Wander: What do you base the "he is talented on" He looks lightweight to me and lacks any authority on the pitch, i concede that to get the full picture he needs to play, however i think he is one up from Chris Taylor in the managers plans.

He has better touch, vision and range of passing than any other contender for the position IMO. It's true he doesn't have the engine of Vela or Pratley and that's perhaps why Parky seems to have tunnel vision about what to do with him but I reckon if he played alongside a ball winner he could dictate play. 
Unfortunately Parky doesn't seem to be interested in playing through the team or spreading the ball around as the wingbacks appear to be under instruction to drop into a back 5 whenever the opposition have possession which is why Darby played Leeds' onside for a goal on Sunday and so there's not many forward options when we win it back other than to hoof it long to Madine and hope that support can get there in time to make something of it.
In that respect, if Parky doesn't change the ultra defence-oriented system we have no need for a player with Derik's talents. And he won't.

wessy

wessy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Natasha Whittam wrote:
wessy wrote:At least Moxey made the team, several managers overlook Osede wonder why?

Do you understand that Derik isn't a left back? So comparing him with Moxey is silly.

Last season he wasn't really needed as we were in a shite league where we were expected to press teams. Plus we had Spearing.

This season we will be on the back foot more often than not, so we need a defensive midfielder who doesn't panic when he sees that white round thing.

PM me if you need further clarification.
As you well know i was not comparing positions, just pointing out that some players that actually make the team get dogs abuse, whilst Derik who can't seem to force is way in is rated. Based on what, look i hope he gets a run and performs so well he makes it his own, i just don't see it happening he as little presence on the pitch.

He is a liability at full back, and as a defensive midfielder he lacks steel, i want someone who can win balls in that position, if he has the talent you both seem to think then he should be in a creative midfield role?

You said "Last season he wasn't really needed" One of the most stupid comments ever made on here, i wasn't needed either but didn't receive the Xk per week. If he was good enough last season he would have been in the team Parky is not stupid enough to overlook a good player.

With the Embargo every player needs to be needed.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wessy wrote:He is a liability at full back, and as a defensive midfielder he lacks steel, i want someone who can win balls in that position, if he has the talent you both seem to think then he should be in a creative midfield role?

I said we needed someone who wasn't scared of the ball. Last week against Leeds how many times did a Bolton midfielder control the ball, hold onto it for a couple of seconds, then find a white shirt with a pass? I'll tell you, ZERO. Derik is the best of a very bad bunch that's all I'm saying.

wessy wrote:You said "Last season he wasn't really needed" One of the most stupid comments ever made on here

How dare you. Have you not read Norpig's posts?

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Why am i being dragged into this? I actually agree with you Nat on this

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum