Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Matthew Southall

+3
Kane57
Norpig
Sluffy
7 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Matthew Southall Empty Matthew Southall Tue Aug 29 2017, 14:51

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Being touted by Chris Manning as Shabbir's partner.

Occupation: Fitness & Ecommerce Entrepreneur and Former Sports Agent
Ethnic Background: Mixed race – black/white
Family Origin: Britain/Nigeria
In what generation did your family come to the UK? I don’t know.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Fitness entrepreneur Matthew Southall was born in South London and moved to the North West with his mother at the age of 5. His father was of Nigerian descent, but left before he was born. Matthew graduated from school with all A’s and studied Art and design at college before moving to Leeds to study 3d Interior and Architectural design, graduating in 2006. One of his close friends growing up was a professional footballer for Manchester United and England so he managed to make several contacts within football and went straight from University into sports management, where he worked under renowned Iranian businessman, Kia Joorabchian, owner of football stars Carlos Tevez and Javier Mascherano. He was very quickly involved in high profile deals, learnt a lot and then in 2010 set up his own Sports Agency and represented several high profile Premier League players. In the summer of 2014, he set up an online fitness wear brand which went onto launch in December 2014. Matthew currently lives in Manchester and has a two year old daughter, Arabella.
What inspired you to pursue your chosen career?
I had seen a lot being involved in football. There is a lot of corruption and deceit involved and as the years went on there were more and more agents appearing thinking they could make quick, easy money. I had always been interested in commerce and I believed selling online was the way shopping would go. Fitness was growing and becoming more popular not only in the UK, but worldwide and having been made aware of another UK company that had created a fitness wear brand, I was adamant I could do it better with higher quality clothing.
Do you feel there is a proportionate representation of minorities within your chosen field? If not, what do you think the government or society could/should be doing to encourage more people of minority backgrounds to pursue similar careers?
Not really, no. I don’t think the government or society could do anything to encourage more people of minority backgrounds to set up online businesses. Its a trait thats instilled into people from an early age and depends more upon your personality traits and upbringing – you’re either a creator or worker. Creators make opportunities for themselves; workers look for the stable 9-5 job.
Are there any aspects of your family’s culture that you feel were particularly prominent or evident in your upbringing, or that you are particularly fond of?
I grew up in a white family so I didn’t really get an understanding of what it meant to be mixed race until later in life.
How are you currently/or do you plan to preserve an awareness of their background and heritage in your children & future generations? Is this something that you consider important?
My daughter is 2 and a half and her mother is white but she does have a small proportion of ethnic origin in her. I plan on explaining about my father and his heritage at some point, but I think today its far more common to see mixed raced children than it was when I was growing up.
Who would you consider to be the most iconic, pivotal or inspirational figure in black history & why?
Floyd Mayweather or Will Smith. These are the new age black icons. Both from humble upbringings, they have become masters of their respected professions and been hugely successful in building their status and wealth, which I think is inspirational to younger generations.
Were you educated in black history growing up? Do you think, in light of and celebration of the UK’s diverse population, that black history should be taught in schools?
No I wasn’t. I was the only mixed raced child in my year at school and its not something that was taught about. I think it should be taught, however I don’t believe it should be outlined as ‘black’ history. That’s separating black from white, I think its all one. As long as it continues to be thought of as separate, I believe there will continue to be problems throughout the world between different ethnicities. Black history should be taught, but as part of history in general.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

2Matthew Southall Empty Re: Matthew Southall Tue Aug 29 2017, 15:03

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Does he have any real money though?  We need to be attracting someone with deep pockets

3Matthew Southall Empty Re: Matthew Southall Tue Aug 29 2017, 15:17

Kane57

Kane57
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Norpig wrote:Does he have any real money though?  We need to be attracting someone with deep pockets

Neither of them do. I'd wager them as being front men for someone / something else.

4Matthew Southall Empty Re: Matthew Southall Tue Aug 29 2017, 15:31

observer

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Kane57 wrote:
Norpig wrote:Does he have any real money though?  We need to be attracting someone with deep pockets

Neither of them do. I'd wager them as being front men for someone / something else.

"That will bring us back to do..."  I mean Deano... fronting for someone and accepting one million quid to do just that.

5Matthew Southall Empty Re: Matthew Southall Tue Aug 29 2017, 17:35

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Are these guys still in the running then? I thought they had been sacked off.

6Matthew Southall Empty Re: Matthew Southall Wed Aug 30 2017, 09:25

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

I stopped reading this as soon as I got to the ethnic and colour part. What has this got to do with investing in the club ? I don't care what colour or creed he is, and I doubt he's considering investment because he's mixed race. Sounds more like an agenda driven by the interviewer.

7Matthew Southall Empty Re: Matthew Southall Wed Aug 30 2017, 09:31

Fabians Right Peg

Fabians Right Peg
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

gloswhite wrote:I stopped reading this as soon as I got to the ethnic and colour part. What has this got to do with investing in the club ? I don't care what colour or creed he is, and I doubt he's considering investment because he's mixed race. Sounds more like an agenda driven by the interviewer.
I don't think the interview was specifically in relation to the BWFC link, read more like a bio piece.

8Matthew Southall Empty Re: Matthew Southall Wed Aug 30 2017, 09:39

I agree with glos.  I didnt get why it needed to be included.  They can be pink with yellow fucking spots as long as they have the dosh

9Matthew Southall Empty Re: Matthew Southall Wed Aug 30 2017, 10:09

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Fabians Right Peg wrote:
gloswhite wrote:I stopped reading this as soon as I got to the ethnic and colour part. What has this got to do with investing in the club ? I don't care what colour or creed he is, and I doubt he's considering investment because he's mixed race. Sounds more like an agenda driven by the interviewer.
I don't think the interview was specifically in relation to the BWFC link, read more like a bio piece.

This.

The article was the best I could find about him at the time and it just so happened to be an interview with him three years ago by someone focused on black lifes (or whatever the correct PC phrase is).

One other bit of trivia I discovered when looking him up was he once started a business with Neil Danns (yes that one) but they closed it down within a year or two.

10Matthew Southall Empty Re: Matthew Southall Wed Aug 30 2017, 14:25

Kane57

Kane57
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

He was probably asked

11Matthew Southall Empty Re: Matthew Southall Wed Aug 30 2017, 14:43

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I don't see the relevance of commenting on the questions in the Immigration Advisory Service's "Black History" month article as they are entirely relevant to that article. BWFC not so much.
And I don't think the IAS got the answers they wanted anyway, especially when he says he was raised in a white family.

However, the relevant question is still "are Southall and Shabbir still in the running to buy BWFC?" 
Personally I think not.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum