Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

You're Beautiful

+5
Numpty 28723
Hipster_Nebula
Bernard Dennis Park
largehat
Natasha Whittam
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1You're Beautiful Empty You're Beautiful Wed Aug 08 2012, 13:30

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I read a lot of books, about three a week. My evening routine is spend a bit of time on here ripping Largehat a new one, big glass of Pepsi, 8-10 McVitie Cheddar biscuits, and then an hour of reading before getting my beauty sleep.

I'm no intellectual, I read the book equivalent of blockbuster films, authors like John Grisham, Lee Child, Robert Crais and Peter James.

Something is really starting to bug me about modern day writers though - their insistance on making every character in their book beautiful or handsome. For example, I'm about 100 pages into a Peter James book right now. Probably about 15-20 people been mentioned so far, and all but two of them have been described as beautiful, handsome, pretty, good looking, pleasant looking, stunning etc etc.

Why? Why do authors feel the need to make characters the reader can't see appear good looking? Does it enhance the story or make it easier to follow? Of course not. It's just really poor writing.

Am I the only one who wants to imagine some ugly people in my reading material? Does anything else bug you about authors?

2You're Beautiful Empty Re: You're Beautiful Wed Aug 08 2012, 13:49

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote: My evening routine is spend a bit of time on here ripping Largehat a new one

Can the moderators intercede in this internet bullying scenario please.

3You're Beautiful Empty Re: You're Beautiful Wed Aug 08 2012, 13:51

Bernard Dennis Park

Bernard Dennis Park
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

I took that to mean Natasha bums you every night.

4You're Beautiful Empty Re: You're Beautiful Wed Aug 08 2012, 13:53

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Nat i would have thought that would make it easier for you to relate to these characters.

5You're Beautiful Empty Re: You're Beautiful Wed Aug 08 2012, 15:04

Numpty 28723

Numpty 28723
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

This is what bugs me about American films and sitcoms. Unlike us, they're useless at portraying low-life. Because the movies are churned out on the Hollywood conveyor belt, the guys are always rugged and handsome, the women perfectly made up with hair right out of a shampoo advert, clothes immaculate. And they always live in apartments with more space than your average Asda superstore with Olympic sized pools round the back - and the sun's always shining. Bastards.

A classic example was the American version of "Steptoe And Son," called "Sanford And Son."

You're Beautiful Sanford-and-son-300x225

Frank Zappa had it sussed:

“I have an important message to deliver to all the cute people all over the world. If you're out there and you're cute, maybe you're beautiful. I just want to tell you somethin' — there's more of us UGLY MOTHERFUCKERS than you are, so watch out.”

6You're Beautiful Empty Re: You're Beautiful Wed Aug 08 2012, 15:10

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

In every Hollywood film where there's somebody that lost their mum at a young age and that person asks somebody "What was mummy like?", the answer is always "She was beautiful."
I'd love it if the answer in just one film could be "She was OK. Nothing to write home about, lookswise - red hair, pasty skin, glasses, bit chubby, tendency to burn in the sun."

7You're Beautiful Empty Re: You're Beautiful Wed Aug 08 2012, 15:13

Numpty 28723

Numpty 28723
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

doffcocker wrote:In every Hollywood film where there's somebody that lost their mum at a young age and that person asks somebody "What was mummy like?", the answer is always "She was beautiful."
I'd love it if the answer in just one film could be "She was OK. Nothing to write home about, lookswise - red hair, pasty skin, glasses, bit chubby, tendency to burn in the sun."
lol!

8You're Beautiful Empty Re: You're Beautiful Wed Aug 08 2012, 15:25

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

doffcocker wrote:In every Hollywood film where there's somebody that lost their mum at a young age and that person asks somebody "What was mummy like?", the answer is always "She was beautiful."

lol!

9You're Beautiful Empty Re: You're Beautiful Wed Aug 08 2012, 16:29

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

Natasha Whittam wrote:I read a lot of books, about three a week. My evening routine is spend a bit of time on here ripping Largehat a new one, big glass of Pepsi, 8-10 McVitie Cheddar biscuits, and then an hour of reading before getting my beauty sleep.

I'm no intellectual, I read the book equivalent of blockbuster films, authors like John Grisham, Lee Child, Robert Crais and Peter James.

Something is really starting to bug me about modern day writers though - their insistance on making every character in their book beautiful or handsome. For example, I'm about 100 pages into a Peter James book right now. Probably about 15-20 people been mentioned so far, and all but two of them have been described as beautiful, handsome, pretty, good looking, pleasant looking, stunning etc etc.

Why? Why do authors feel the need to make characters the reader can't see appear good looking? Does it enhance the story or make it easier to follow? Of course not. It's just really poor writing.

Am I the only one who wants to imagine some ugly people in my reading material? Does anything else bug you about authors?

There is one ugly little runt in that book nat.

10You're Beautiful Empty Re: You're Beautiful Wed Aug 08 2012, 16:36

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

This is true, though - TV and movies - everyone is beautiful/handsome. It gets boring. It annoys me when they get some beautiful woman and ugly her down to suit the character. Just get a ugly woman to begin with and give her a break!

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

11You're Beautiful Empty Re: You're Beautiful Wed Aug 08 2012, 16:38

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Keegan wrote:This is true, though - TV and movies - everyone is beautiful/handsome. It gets boring. It annoys me when they get some beautiful woman and ugly her down to suit the character. Just get a ugly woman to begin with and give her a break!

It doesn't bother me in films so much as they are a visual thing, but there's no excuse for books. If you met 20 people today only a fraction would be beautiful.

12You're Beautiful Empty Re: You're Beautiful Wed Aug 08 2012, 17:17

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha, I think you like football, and you seem to like contemporary fiction, you should read The Damned United by David Peace. It's one of the best novels of the 21st century IMO.

13You're Beautiful Empty Re: You're Beautiful Wed Aug 08 2012, 18:36

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

Wasn't that about Manchester United?

14You're Beautiful Empty Re: You're Beautiful Wed Aug 08 2012, 18:49

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

No, it is a fictitious account of Brian Clough's football and managerial career. Told in alternate chapters, half the novel is a flashback internal monologue about his career prior to the events in the "present", which in the novel is his 44-day spell as Leeds United manager in 1974.

It is absolutely brilliant. The film wasn't bad either.

15You're Beautiful Empty Re: You're Beautiful Wed Aug 08 2012, 19:14

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

The words "damned" & "united" tend to lead my thoughs in a particular direction - along wth other words that are unsuitable for a family forum. Wink

16You're Beautiful Empty Re: You're Beautiful Wed Aug 08 2012, 21:12

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

British humour doesn't seem to travel well across the Atlantic. I think our humour is somewhat different to our Yankee cousins. The american version of The Office wasn't a patch on the original.

17You're Beautiful Empty Re: You're Beautiful Wed Aug 08 2012, 21:14

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I totally agree.

Speaking of horrific US remakes of British series.

has everyone seen this?

18You're Beautiful Empty Re: You're Beautiful Thu Aug 09 2012, 11:05

Numpty 28723

Numpty 28723
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Hipster_Nebula wrote:I totally agree.

Speaking of horrific US remakes of British series.

has everyone seen this?

That is so shit. Why can't they just watch the English version over there? We show all the American sit-coms without re-making them.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum