Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Should we have bombed Syria?

+9
Angry Dad
observer
Bollotom2014
xmiles
karlypants
boltonbonce
Natasha Whittam
wanderlust
Sluffy
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 4]

21Should we have bombed Syria? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should we have bombed Syria? Sun Apr 15 2018, 12:02

These are missiles, you can’t be 100% accurate. Even the official US statement was ‘we took every precaution we could’.

Look I don’t necessarily disagree with the bombing, it’s a very complicated issue. But at the end of the day what has this achieved in actually ending the war? Nothing. 

We’ve actually subverted the correct political process by not waiting for weapons inspectors to go in and on a domestic level not getting MP backing. So when Russia floughts UN regulation we don’t have leg to stand on. 

Chemical weapons are atrocious, but Syrians are being tortured, bombed and shot everyday, they want an end to the whole thing, not just chemical weapons.

22Should we have bombed Syria? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should we have bombed Syria? Sun Apr 15 2018, 12:53

Bollotom2014

Bollotom2014
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

About as accurate as can be bearing in mind blast radius etc. This wasn't a bombing op to cause widespread damage, it was a clear message to Assad that if you use chemical weapons again we'll come and blow the crap out of you. They have form for using CW and have ignored previous warnings. Let's hope he listens this time and the bloody Russians stop pulling the strings. Russia also have form for applying their veto when every man and his dog know the Russians are just as guilty.
  On a footie stance, we'll see what happens during the World Cup. I can't help thinking Vlad will be lining up his Special Forces mob to cause a bit of bother.

23Should we have bombed Syria? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should we have bombed Syria? Sun Apr 15 2018, 12:56

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

wanderlust wrote:
Sluffy wrote:
wanderlust wrote:Looks like May and Macron are now fully on board with Trump's agenda and my concern is that we really don't want to go back to East/West brinksmanship if only because of Russia's ability to destroy the UK in seconds - we are after all a lot nearer to them than the US and would probably be considered a softer target.
That said, I assume that this public display of muscle was notified via the back door comms channels i.e. Russia and Syria (and possibly Iran) were told in advance what targets would be hit as that's the way they do it nowadays. Putin will still have to save face in Russia, but I'm hoping he has the common sense not to escalate further. 
As regards whether it was right or not, personally I'd have liked to have seen some proof of the chemical attacks before we waded in. It's a bit like the Skripal case - plenty of circumstantial evidence but then doubt is cast on the findings AFTER we'd repatriotised the diplomats and there is still no conclusive proof that it was the Russians - although we all suspect it was. 
Similarly the Russians claim the Syrian chemical attack was set up by an American agency e.g. the CIA and it is not beyond the realms of possibility, so it would be good to get some verification BEFORE taking huge decisions and risks such as this. Worrying times especially as Putin is such a folk hero in Russia and will be under pressure to retaliate.

Oh I've no doubt these things really did happen - and it has been proved beyond doubt to the likes of May and Macron - for them to join in with the American's.
A bit like the irrefutable evidence of WMDs that cost so many lives in Iraq then?

Or are you just making this up too?

Well you're the undoubted master at making stuff up but I've never seen much point doing the same myself.

It's not really unreasonable to believe that there is loads of surveillance of what is going on over there by many countries and even if you believe May might have been hoodwinked somehow.

France has previously stated that they had 'intelligence' in the area two months ago - and would act if chemical weapons were used - read this -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-43053617

and this -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-43740626

Macron doesn't strike me as being America's puppet, so yes I'm certain it's been proved beyond doubt to Macron - and to May and Trump too.

24Should we have bombed Syria? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should we have bombed Syria? Sun Apr 15 2018, 12:59

Bollotom2014 wrote:It was a clear message to Assad that if you use chemical weapons again we'll come and blow the crap out of you.

Will we though? As Rachel Sabi said this morning, there are two ways this war will end, either full scale military intervention (ground troops) or a political process. For me Trump's rogue missile attack (we've blindly followed him into) has setback the latter.

25Should we have bombed Syria? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should we have bombed Syria? Sun Apr 15 2018, 13:12

Bollotom2014

Bollotom2014
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

But isn't that how all wars will end? Both World Wars started with full scale military intervention and ended with political process. And Trump's "Rogue missile attack" was an incisive surgical strike with great accuracy and a big hint to Assad not to be a twot in future. Unfortunately, the big issue we could face is Vlad turning off the gas, though that would also hurt him in the pocket as he gets a bob or to from Gazprom.  Rachel Shabi? I don't read the Grauniad. Too highbrow for me.

26Should we have bombed Syria? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should we have bombed Syria? Sun Apr 15 2018, 13:32

Too high brow for you?! Don’t be silly, we’ve all seen your GCSE’s Tom.

Yes all wars will end by political or military means.. so why not push the political process? Would you support direct military action - seems extreme for me. Assad hasn’t backed down under pressure before, in fact he and his father have always promoted being anti-US and revelled in playing Syria as a Victim if US aggression. So what has Trumps attack actually achieved?

27Should we have bombed Syria? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should we have bombed Syria? Sun Apr 15 2018, 13:48

observer

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Natasha Whittam wrote:Of course it was a token gesture. They gave everyone a week's notice, no doubt any chemical weapons that the Syrian government had were moved long before any bombs dropped.

It was more about sending a warning that we will bomb you, and next time we might not give you a week to think about it.

But once again the Labour twins want to make this about the government, and not about the poor people being targeted.
They also made sure not to kill any Russians this time... or their proxies.  Definitely a token gesture, but the point was made.  What a mad world we live in!

28Should we have bombed Syria? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should we have bombed Syria? Sun Apr 15 2018, 14:04

One other question. If Teresa May is so desperate to help Syrians why vote against the Dubs amendment and prevent more child refugees being allowed into Britain?

29Should we have bombed Syria? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should we have bombed Syria? Sun Apr 15 2018, 16:10

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

YES.

30Should we have bombed Syria? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should we have bombed Syria? Sun Apr 15 2018, 17:36

RustyNail

Nicky Hunt
Nicky Hunt

We are America's bitches so we have to do as we are told. If Russia fancy a world war we will be glad to be their bitches.

31Should we have bombed Syria? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should we have bombed Syria? Sun Apr 15 2018, 17:48

Good point RN, which amplifies the Brexit drivel about Sovereignity. Aside from the super powers, everyone has a boss.

32Should we have bombed Syria? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should we have bombed Syria? Sun Apr 15 2018, 18:45

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Here's a question for you people to debate,seeing as you like an argument.

Does Israel have the right to exist?  :bomb:

33Should we have bombed Syria? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should we have bombed Syria? Sun Apr 15 2018, 18:47

Yes.

34Should we have bombed Syria? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should we have bombed Syria? Sun Apr 15 2018, 19:23

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Glad that's sorted.

35Should we have bombed Syria? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should we have bombed Syria? Sun Apr 15 2018, 19:25

Happy to help. If only I worked in international relations hey.

36Should we have bombed Syria? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should we have bombed Syria? Sun Apr 15 2018, 19:27

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

T.R.O.Y wrote:Happy to help. If only I worked in international relations hey.
That's where Breadman went wrong.

37Should we have bombed Syria? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should we have bombed Syria? Sun Apr 15 2018, 21:14

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

Russia are not capable of fighting a conventional war against the USA they would lose and Putin knows it. This needed to be done and thankfully that ass licking wimp Obama is no longer the president.

38Should we have bombed Syria? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should we have bombed Syria? Mon Apr 16 2018, 11:21

Props to James O’Brien again: what saves more lives in Syria, Britain dropping bombs or Germany accepting one million refugees.

39Should we have bombed Syria? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should we have bombed Syria? Mon Apr 16 2018, 11:42

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Commendable, but it's not solving the problem.

40Should we have bombed Syria? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should we have bombed Syria? Mon Apr 16 2018, 11:57

It’s supporting the affects though. We’re doing neither.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum