Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Wanderers set to sign ex-Leeds United midfielder Luke Murphy

+3
Natasha Whittam
Growler
Sluffy
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

WANDERERS are set to sign midfielder Luke Murphy after his release from Leeds United.

The 28-year-old left Elland Road by mutual consent last night and is expected to be confirmed as a Bolton player later today.
Macclesfield-born Murphy came through the ranks of Crewe before joining Leeds in 2013 and playing more than 100 games for the Yorkshire club.
More recently, he has spent two lengthy spells on loan with Burton Albion but with Marcelo Bielsa instigating a major change-up of the Leeds squad this summer, his card was marked when he was not given a squad number for the forthcoming season.

Phil Parkinson has been looking to add to his midfield numbers after releasing Karl Henry, Derik Osede, Jem Karacan and Darren Pratley in the summer.

It is understood the Wanderers boss could bring in another central midfielder on loan before the close of the loan window – although the main focus will now be to add a back-up goalkeeper, a left-back and a striker to his ranks.

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/16393250.bolton-snap-up-midfielder-on-his-release-from-leeds-united/

Growler

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

I have never heard of him but based on the fact that Burton were garbage at home and half decent away from home he is probably another grafter with no attacking qualities.He is 6ft 2 which is a bonus

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Dear me.

And we let Henry go.

Madness.

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Massive upgrade on henry

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

He really isn't.

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Nat, it's likely a wages issue with Henry and the fact he's over 30 which meant we probably wouldn't get much if we sold him on. I think Murphy's a decent signing, like most of the ones we've made this summer he's not a world beater but he's good enough for this level. At the moment I think that's the best we can expect.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

We know Henry is good enough, and I'll bet he wants a lot less money than Murphy.

MartinBWFC

MartinBWFC
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Natasha Whittam wrote:We know Henry is good enough, and I'll bet he wants a lot less money than Murphy.
Possibly, but at 35 Henry is way past his best.

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:We know Henry is good enough, and I'll bet he wants a lot less money than Murphy.

Are you suggesting that Murphy is greedy? Because he offered to take a pay cut to stay at leeds

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Boggersbelief wrote:Are you suggesting that Murphy is greedy? Because he offered to take a pay cut to stay at leeds

Not suggesting he's greedy, I'm suggesting he'll be asking for more money than Henry.

Henry is 35 and without a club. It stands to reason his demands aren't going to be massive.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Massive is relative though Nat. A few grand a week isn't a lot if you're a club like, say Sunderland who have 25K plus fans showing up every week and huge revenue streams outside the TV money (which is a good job for them givn how little the L1 clubs get from that pot) but to us it's huge. A hundred quid a week difference in their wages could be enough to swing it given how tight our finances are and throw in Murphy's relative youth compared to Henry which allows for potential resale value and that would almost certainly sway Ken's thinking as well.

Personally I wish Henry had one more year with us as I think he's done well in our shirt but sadly football's a business and we as a club have more reason than most to keep a close eye on the bottom line.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I think you're all dreaming if you think Henry was asking for massive wages. Last season he was signed in September because he was a free agent - he was hardly in a position to ask for big money.

He now finds himself in a similar position.

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Nat, Henry was a good signing on low wages, the fact is though, if we want to progress and move up the league then he should not be on our squad. Like it or lump it, Murphy is an upgrade

Henry won’t have been on much, id imagine their wage demands are relatively similar but Murphy’s a better age and more likely to last the season. I’ve no idea if he’s any good though - and nor does anyone else on here if we’re honest.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

T.R.O.Y wrote:I’ve no idea if he’s any good though - and nor does anyone else on here if we’re honest.

Exactly. We know that Henry can do a job, he changed our season. Seems stupid to pay more for a player very few have even heard of, never mind seen play.

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Yeah because Murphy’s been playing in the Kazakhstani conference where I’ve had no access of watching him play.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I confess to knowing very little about Murphy but I'm almost certain his relative youth compared to Henry played a large part in choosing him over Henry. From what I've readn and gleaned from a Leeds supporting friend he isn't a bad player at all, he was just lower down the pecking order at Elland Road than he wanted to be and (according to my mate) probably lower than he deserved. According to my mate he's a good ball winner but he can pass it about pretty well too. Let's face it we've been short of midfielders who can actually tackle AND pass well recently so if he's decent at both it's a step up.

Boggersbelief wrote:Yeah because Murphy’s been playing in the Kazakhstani conference where I’ve had no access of watching him play.

May as well have been, you’ve barely seen the whites play never mind Burton.

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

T.R.O.Y wrote:
Boggersbelief wrote:Yeah because Murphy’s been playing in the Kazakhstani conference where I’ve had no access of watching him play.

May as well have been, you’ve barely seen the whites play never mind Burton.

Ok Charlie, now reply to my PM you sausage

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum