Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Phil Parkinson explains Bolton's future recruitment strategy

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The Wanderers boss landed his top target on deadline day, bringing in 26-year-old Doidge from Forest Green in a deal which could eventually top £1million, after bonuses.

It is only the second cash signing Parkinson has made since arriving at Bolton in the summer of 2016 but he believes it will set a blueprint for how he wants to recruit players.

“We have got to understand where we are,” he told The Bolton News. “Can we compete financially with Middlesbrough and Aston Villa? No.

“We have to go elsewhere to get those signings and look at players who have that point to prove.

“Every signing is a gamble. If you pay £5million for someone, or if you bring in an older player and have to pay him premium wages.

“We have looked long and hard and wanted a player with hunger, determination and with a point to prove and Christian fits the bill. It’s what we’re about as a club now.”

Parkinson has already seen encouraging signs in Josh Magennis’s early-season form which suggest his £200,000 capture from Charlton Athletic could also be money well spent.

“I look at Josh as an example,” he said. “He was magnificent against Preston.

“He came in and we said ‘this is what you’ve got to do to be a Championship player’. He’s now starting to show that work in training, his lifestyle, every single part of his game.

“That is what my staff is about. And I think Christian has got the raw materials to do the same thing for us.”

Although Magennis will be on international duty with Northern Ireland, Parkinson will bring the majority his players back into the training ground this morning looking to fine-tune a decent start to the campaign.

“There are a few who need to get up to speed and this break gives us a good opportunity,” he said. “We will give the lads a couple of days off before we regroup for QPR at home.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum