A number of Bolton supporters are planning to travel to Gloucestershire to watch the League Two club face Bury after an invite was extended by FGR chairman Dale Vince.
A bitter war of words broke out between Vince and Wanderers owner Ken Anderson following the apparent collapse of Christian Doidge’s transfer to the University of Bolton Stadium at the start of this month.
Vince produced cheeky T-shirts with the logo “No Ken Do” for disgruntled Bolton fans, which were sold online. The first run was sold out in just a couple of days and profits passed on to the Bolton Wanderers Supporters’ Trust.
Bolton fans have also been promised a free pint for their efforts – and it is understood there has been a large take-up, with Phil Parkinson’s side not in action until Monday, January 21 against West Brom.
A large contingent of Shakers fans are also thought to be heading to the game, looking to see if Ryan Lowe’s side could go top of the table with victory.
Forest Green and the BWFCST issued a joint statement yesterday asking for those attending to do so respectfully.
“Forest Green Rovers are expecting a number of Bolton Wanderers supporters to attend the club’s upcoming fixture on January 19 at the New Lawn against Bury,” the statement read.
“That follows the collapse of Christian Doidge’s transfer from FGR to Bolton at the start of January.
“This led to a huge amount of warm wishes between Bolton’s fans and Dale Vince, who then invited them to our next home game, which happens to be against the club’s local rivals.
“This was a gesture of solidarity and sympathy with the Bolton fans, who will also be able to show their appreciation to Christian Doidge for his time at the club.
“Forest Green Rovers and Bolton Wanderers Supporters’ Trust ask that all fans attending the game use this as an opportunity to celebrate the football family and create a good atmosphere for all fans to enjoy the match.”
Vince says he will be pursuing legal action against Anderson for a breach of contract, alleging that Wanderers reneged on their agreement to pay for the 26-year-old striker on January 3.
“They can’t be allowed to get away with it,” he told BBC Radio Manchester last week. “He can’t be allowed to get away with it.
“I don’t hold this against the club, or the fans of the club, it’s the behaviour of one man who, as I have said in other interviews, gives football a bad name.
“A winding-up petition may be possible and if not, a simple pursuit through the High Court for breach of contract. Which legal pursuit we take will be decided in the next few days and doesn’t really matter.”
Anderson has disputed Vince's version of events, adding: "What I can say is that he knows what he agreed in August 2018 and I have made it clear that we are still prepared to make the first payment, as always agreed from the outset, being next week when we receive the EFL distribution monies.
"If this is not now acceptable, then so be it, but don't go blaming me for disappointing Christian as we have made it absolutely clear that he is welcome here.
"As regards the breach of contract claims, well that will be for the courts to determine, if it gets that far, as we intend to adhere to the agreement next week and if he rejects the payment, then as I said, it will be for the courts to determine which party is in breach of contract."