Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Magennis has a point to prove at Wanderers after Northern Ireland winner

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Match-winner for Northern Ireland, the toast of Belfast, but Josh Magennis must bring some of his good fortune back to club level after the international break.

The Wanderers striker scored his first goal since January to ensure his country top Euro 2020 qualifying Group C after two games, earning a raft of post-match praise from Michael O’Neill.

Magennis’s well-taken strike against Belarus made it a successful week for Northern Ireland, who have taken six points from the six available over the international break, but Bolton fans will be praying his form can now translate into the Championship.

Without a league goal in nearly 29 hours of league football, Magennis’s goal-scoring has mirrored Wanderers’ own results, dipping significantly since an impressive late summer run.

O’Neill has been in charge of Northern Ireland for eight years, and says he has improved since working his way through Scottish football with Aberdeen, St Mirren and Kilmarnock.

“People maybe don’t realise the quality that Josh has,” he said of his goal against Belarus.

“He’s improved immensely, certainly in the period I’ve been in charge.

“It was a lovely piece of play. Brilliant. He takes it down great, lays it off and then attacks that space.”

It is precisely the sort of thing Magennis did shortly after arriving at Wanderers from Charlton Athletic in the summer. A perma-snarl etched across his face, the 28-year-old had the bravery and physicality which often makes for a popular striker in these parts.

After scoring four goals in his first seven games, elements of frustration began to show in Magennis’s game.

Between October 24 and January 15 he started just three times and questions were also asked about his fitness. A hat-trick against Walsall in the FA Cup – a game in which the quality of service from the flanks also improved considerably, it must be said – proved to be a springboard for him to return to a more regular start.

Phil Parkinson revealed recently that Nick Allamby had been bringing him in for extra work – and that has helped him begin the last eight league games for Wanderers, his best run since arriving at the University of Bolton Stadium. O’Neill saw no signs of baggage when Magennis linked up with his international team-mates following a testing campaign at Bolton where events off the field have often overshadowed those on it.

“I don’t think so at all,” he said. “I think he enjoys coming in. He’s a very popular figure in the squad, valued in the squad as well. For me as a player he’s invaluable.

“I think a lot of people didn’t really know what Josh was or what he was going to become as a player but that’s his fifth international goal so I think he’s proving a lot of people wrong.”

Magennis scored three minutes from time at Windsor Park to help his side to a 2-1 victory against Belarus, building on their previous result against Estonia.

It was his fifth international goal, in total, and with Northern Irish football currently flourishing the target man reckons his side stands a chance of qualifying from a group involving Germany and the Netherlands.

“The six points are the most important part of this week,” he said. “The most important thing is we have the six points and top the group and now we look forward to the games in June.

“Nobody’s coming to Windsor anymore thinking that we are an easy touch teams are showing us respect they are dropping off.

“The confidence I get when I come here Michael really challenges us and has high demands.

“I’m playing with great players that sometimes make you look better than you are and I’m really enjoying my football.”

Source

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sadly, he's no Le Fondre.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:Sadly, he's no Le Fondre.
And we're no Northern Ireland.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum