Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Plastic balls

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Plastic balls Empty Plastic balls Thu Jan 16 2020, 10:14

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Word is that Scotland are likely to introduce a US-style ban on kids heading footballs within weeks which I begrudgingly think is a good thing, but wondered what you lot think?
I was certainly heading casies from the year dot (which explains a lot!) and we used to practice "crosses and headers" in training even at junior team level. Those balls were a lot heavier too, especially when wet and we'd think nothing about heading back e.g. a goalie's long clearance that was coming down from space.
Is this the nanny state encouraging the snowflake generations on the basis of a few isolated cases or does heading footballs damage everyone's ......erm....brain?

2Plastic balls Empty Re: Plastic balls Thu Jan 16 2020, 10:58

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I headed those heavy balls for many years, and it's never caused me a problem. I mentioned this at a local Labour Party meeting, and found that all my comrades had also spent their younger days heading heavy footballs. My chums at Momentum still compete in their monthly medicine ball heading therapy, and with no ill effects.
It's all overblown.

3Plastic balls Empty Re: Plastic balls Thu Jan 16 2020, 13:28

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I help out at a local junior football club and to be honest there isn't much heading involved until they get to u11's and upwards really.

I know there isn't any definitive evidence that heading is bad if done repetitively but how can it not cause some damage? I know the balls are not as heavy as they used to be but when i head a ball now it does still hurt a bit and i'm an old codger so makes sense to limit it to older kids.

4Plastic balls Empty Re: Plastic balls Thu Jan 16 2020, 14:01

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

There was a player speaking on the radio about it the other day, and he said that had all this information about the dangers of heading a ball been explained to him when he started his career, it wouldn't have made a jot of difference. He wanted to play football.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum