Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Celebrating Bolton Wanderers' Great Dane on his 50th birthday

+4
Ten Bobsworth
boltonbonce
Norpig
karlypants
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The original Great Dane – Per Frandsen’s popularity among Bolton Wanderers fans is summed up by the fact he was voted into the all-time best XI for both Burnden Park and the new stadium.

As he turns 50 today we decided to take a look back at his move to Bolton and some of the magical moments he supplied in more than 300 games for the club.

Frandsen’s first campaign, played alongside Danish compatriot Michael Johansen, produced some truly spectacular results.

Colin Todd had set about rebuilding the squad after a disappointing show in the Premier League and brought in Frandsen and Johansen for a combined fee of £1.4million.

Frandsen’s reputation in Denmark had been one of a regular midfield goal-scorer and though a move to French football with Lille ended in disappointment after the club fell into financial problems, big things were expected when he landed on British shores – with the concept of foreign footballers still a relatively new one at Bolton.

An international debut had come some six years earlier for Frandsen but he gained just two more caps and several Under-21 appearances before re-joining the fold in November 1996 for a friendly against France. With Bolton’s help, he won 20 caps in all, two of which came at the 1998 World Cup finals in France.

Frandsen made his Wanderers debut in a 1-1 home draw with Port Vale but just a week later he scored the only goal of the game as Todd’s side beat Manchester City in a memorable game at Burnden.

If Frandsen scored for the Whites, the chances are it would be an entertaining game – and his other strikes came in a 2-2 draw at West Brom, a 7-0 thrashing of Swindon, a 4-2 home win against Port Vale and a 4-2 victory at Bradford.

Wanderers chalked up a record 28 wins, 18 of which came at Burnden that season under Todd, scoring an incredible 100 goals. Their 98 points also stood as a record at the time – even if a draw against Tranmere Rovers on the final day denied them the coveted 100-point mark.

Post-Burnden, Frandsen’s worth to the Whites was arguably greater. He played well as the club returned to the top flight but after the narrow relegation, the play-off disappointment against Watford signalled financial issues and he was sold controversially to local rivals Blackburn Rovers for £1.75million. Todd resigned as a result.

Just a year later, Sam Allardyce managed to resign him for £1.6m and he became the fulcrum of a team which not only got back into the top flight, but also stayed there.

A goal on his second debut against Burnley set the tone for the season, in which he would end with eight goals and Wanderers would earn their place back in the big time.

Frandsen announced himself back on the big stage with two goals in the 5-0 demolition of Leicester City at Filbert Street on the opening day, but the frequency of his strikes slowed down as the Whites cemented their top flight status.

That said, his strike to open the scoring against Middlesbrough on the last day of the 2002/3 season - one of only two he managed in that campaign – may well go down as one of the most important in the club's modern-day history.

Frandsen suffered an agonising defeat against the same opposition eight months later in the Carling Cup final as his career with the Whites wound down.

He scored his last goal for the club in a 2-0 victory over Everton, and made his final appearance when coming on as a substitute for Youri Djorkaeff in the final-day defeat to Fulham.

The Dane then helped Wigan Athletic into the Premier League before a severe cruciate ligament injury which forced him to retire in January 2005.

Frandsen went on to work as a football agent in Denmark, until he was appointed assistant manager at HB Køge in June 2009, succeeding Tommy Moller Nielsen in the autumn of 2012.

He moved on to Brondby as youth coach in 2014 and then became manager of AB, leading the club back into the First Division.

A regular visitor to Bolton games, he has kept in touch with the club, and in June 2017 was made manager of Hvidovre IF.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Fantastic player and right up there with my favourites from that era. We had some great players from Denmark and Iceland back then.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:Fantastic player and right up there with my favourites from that era. We had some great players from Denmark and Iceland back then.
What I'd give for such a player now.

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Norpig wrote:Fantastic player and right up there with my favourites from that era. We had some great players from Denmark and Iceland back then.
Very true. How did it happen and why did the source dry up?

The story of the Frandsen sale and Todd's resignation seems to have been largely glossed over.
It was certainly a pivotal moment in the history of BWFC so who authorised the sale? Was it put to the board? Were there dissenters?

Was it dissatisfaction over the Frandsen sale that resulted in Phil Gartside arranging a meeting  at the Chester Grosvenor with Eddie Davies and David Speakman, their recruitment as directors and investors and the replacement of Gordon Hargeaves as chairman of BWFC by PG?

Was this, in fact, the start of the deterioration of relationships between the club board and the BEN?

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ten Bobsworth wrote:Very true. How did it happen and why did the source dry up?

The story of the Frandsen sale and Todd's resignation seems to have been largely glossed over.
It was certainly a pivotal moment in the history of BWFC so who authorised the sale? Was it put to the board? Were there dissenters?

Was it dissatisfaction over the Frandsen sale that resulted in Phil Gartside arranging a meeting  at the Chester Grosvenor with Eddie Davies and David Speakman, their recruitment as directors and investors and the replacement of Gordon Hargeaves as chairman of BWFC by PG?

Was this, in fact, the start of the deterioration of relationships between the club board and the BEN?

Ted, why do you always look for the negatives in everything? No one gives a shit who sanctioned what, people just want to remember a very good BWFC player during some great times for the club.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Will Snowy and Jock be in time?

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote:

Ted, why do you always look for the negatives in everything? No one gives a shit who sanctioned what, people just want to remember a very good BWFC player during some great times for the club.
I'm more concerned with Morecambe staying in League Two, then Boncey can have a day at the seaside next season.

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

boltonbonce wrote:Will Snowy and Jock be in time?
Dick who?

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Biggles was my hero.

I always fancied a seaplane but have ended up with an estate car.

Cruel world.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Cajunboy wrote:Biggles was my hero.

Cruel world.
I always thought Biggles was gay. Him and Ginger had something special going by all accounts.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

boltonbonce wrote:

Cruel world.
I always thought Biggles was gay. Him and Ginger had something special going by all accounts.
It was pretty obvious in Chapter 3 of "Biggles Flies Undone"

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:
boltonbonce wrote:

Cruel world.
It was pretty obvious in Chapter 3 of "Biggles Flies Undone"

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

No! Biggles was a jolly good chap, straight bat and all that.

Never worked for the BBC.

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
I'm beginning to have my doubts now.

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote:

I suppose I have an aversion to hogwash and horse shit. Some folk evidently love it and can't get enough of it. I don't. Is that unusual in your world?

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Cajunboy wrote:No! Biggles was a jolly good chap, straight bat and all that.

Never worked for the BBC.
Hmm.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

boltonbonce wrote:
Love The Thin Blue Line, Bonce. Much underrated imo.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Very true. Some great characters.

Growler

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Great business that summer, sold Claus Jensen for £4 million and brought in Per Frandsen for £1.6 million. Frandsen clearly the better player and a healthy profit.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum