Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ronan Darcy recalls the day 'Junior Whites' shocked Coventry

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ronan Darcy will never forget the day the Junior Whites shocked the Sky Blues.

Bookmakers had offered odds of 20/1 ON that the early League One leaders Coventry City were going to waltz away from the University of Bolton Stadium with three points back in August.

Only one player aged over 22 had made themselves available, and that was the recently signed James Weir, who unlike his new team-mates hadn’t had time to have his pay cheque withheld.

A squad with an average age of just 18 years and 10 months fought valiantly for a point, albeit with the help of a the linesman’s flag and some top-drawer goalkeeping from Matthew Alexander.

Recalling the day, Darcy – who had at that point made just two substitute appearances for Bolton – admits it was an occasion to be savoured.

“Because everyone was so young it was a different experience for us,” he said.

“There were thousands of people and we weren’t used to it but because the team was so young it really gave us a boost.

“Everyone was excited and everyone wanted to play in front of those people, their families and show them what they were made of.

“It was a difficult game but because we did so well I think it will be one that will be remembered.

“It was the youngest team in history and everyone loved every moment.”

Darcy was a staple part of the team early in the season and worked his way into Keith Hill’s plans later in the piece, starting 11 consecutive games from the start of December up to last weekend’s win against Tranmere.

The 19-year-old, who is in talks with Bolton about a new contract, spoke in positive terms about continuing to develop with the club he has represented since the age of eight.

“Once I have started to play again I think I have shown what I can do, which means working hard and continuing to learn. I got my first goal, my first assist and then my goal at Lincoln,” he said.

“I’m just starting my career I’m not nearing the end of it, so I have to improve and impress.”

Wanderers’ calamitous start to the season has been difficult to shake, and even after victory against Tranmere last season a herculean effort is needed to stand a chance of avoiding relegation.

Darcy insists, however, the club’s fate is not a foregone conclusion.

“With the current situation we’re in we know what we need to do,” he said.

“We know we need to keep focussing on the next game, try and get as many points as possible.

“We know it is going to be difficult but we can still do it and I think as long as everyone sticks together and keeps putting in 110 per cent we can achieve what many people think is not possible.”

Source

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

My favourite game of the last few years, never been prouder to be a BWFC supporter watching those lads that day, they were fantastic!

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum