Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

"Distraught" Dennis will be a showstopper, says Wanderers assistant Flitcroft

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

David Flitcroft says winger Dennis Politic was “distraught” as he walked off the pitch against Burton Albion last night.

After seeing the young winger go back down the tunnel in tears, assistant boss Flitcroft revealed he had felt responsible for not tracking his runner in the build-up to Burton’s second equaliser on the night.

Flitcroft said the dressing room rallied round in support of the 20-year-old, who has been one of Wanderers’ brightest lights in a difficult campaign.

“He just feels he let the team down,” he told The Bolton News. “Luke Murphy (Bolton’s captain on the night) told him ‘you have won us games, earned us points, you just have to learn from it.’ “Dennis will start making good decisions but it’s about appearances and getting that game knowledge and understanding in real time. He’s going through that at the minute and he’s a performer that I love to watch. I enjoy watching him when he’s in full flow.

“He’ll get things wrong but when he gets them right, he’s fantastic.

“We want him to be a performer who wins games for us and he’s learning his trade. We will all benefit from that as he gets games under his belt.

“He’s a young lad that we are trying to guide and the kid is distraught in there, he knew he didn’t track the run, but it’s a learning curve that he will remember and he’ll grow from that moment.”

Flitcroft was pleased with the performance at the Pirelli Stadium, where Wanderers had twice taken the lead through Ryan Delaney and Ethan Hamilton only to twice be pegged back.

Joe Dodoo did have a chance at 2-1 up, however, which could have made the game safe.

“Building off the last two performances and the last two clean sheets, I think we expressed ourselves,” Flitcroft said. “The fans had travelled a fair way again to come and see us and I think even though we conceded two goals there was an energy and a verve working forward.

“You look at what the lads are fighting for and the two sheets we had got beforehand. I was really disappointed with the goal we conceded from the corner.

“There was a real honesty out there. I think if Joe’s would have gone in, or Ali’s that was cleared off the line – it was a fantastic block, and Nigel Clough’s team epitomises his character. Burton are a good side.

“The lads have got to take heart form that performance and the two goals stand us in good stead because we could have had two or three more.”

Flitcroft also feels recent performances do show the team has made progress over the last few weeks.

“We went down to Coventry and maybe for 20 minutes we didn’t compete but then eventually deserved a draw, came unstuck late on, naivety.

“Blackpool – poor first half but second half there was a real energy. Again, it cost us late.

“We sat down and talked about individual responsibilities and since then we have had two clean sheets and a really good performance (at Burton).”

Source

Last edited by karlypants on Wed Mar 11 2020, 12:02; edited 1 time in total

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum