Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

"Don't rush" - ex-Wanderer Gary O'Neil doubts season can be done in 56 days

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ex-Wanderers midfielder Gary O’Neil believes the EFL should reconsider their timeframe of 56 days to conclude the season.

League chairman Rick Parry confirmed last week that the working plan is currently to play all remaining games within an eight-week window, initially behind closed doors.

Wanderers were initially due to play their final 10 games within 50 days – starting from Peterborough United at home and ending with a trip to Oxford United.

O’Neil feels the season must be concluded but argues that the start of next season could be staggered to reduce the impact on players.

“I think it’s going to be difficult,” he said on Sky Sports. “We’re running into a lot tighter time schedule than I thought we would – everyone thought we’d come out of this quicker and it would pass.

“It’s a lot more serious than maybe we all thought to start with.

“We need to get them finished somehow, whether they can reduce the 56 days by playing the games a little bit closer together. I just think we have to finish the season and shouldn’t be in a rush to sort the next one. It can be adjusted or you can lose the League Cup.

“It’s only fair for everyone fighting promotion or fighting against relegation, or to sort out the financial implications in the league depending on where you finish.

“We should only worry about next season when this one is done and dusted.”

Source

RangersDave

RangersDave
Mario Jardel
Mario Jardel

Not sure thats feasible to be honest.

Players will need to train and get fit again, a couple of friendlies to gel, but......and here's the kicker for all of us.....the EFL and other leagues were originally scheduled to complete mid May.

So 1 month from now an awful lot of players should be 'on the beach' and out of contract, some will sign for next season and some wont be wanted, however, as is usual players this season will be gone and looking elsewhere to ply their trade. 

I'm not sure where complete, gelling teams are going to come from to play these fixtures!
I think half my team are out of contract, so god knows how many others will be.
There is an argument to suggest they will all stay, but will they? would a player, down on wages want to turn out, out of contract with the risk of getting injured and so will have less of a chance of a new employer taking them on?

It's a bloody mess, thats for sure with more twists and turns to come than a twisty turny thing 
Cheers
Dave

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum