Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

My first doubts about Lennon already!

+8
Reebok Trotter
Copper Dragon
NickFazer
scottjames30
bryan458
Boggersbelief
Hipster_Nebula
Sluffy
12 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1My first doubts about Lennon already! Empty My first doubts about Lennon already! Wed Oct 15 2014, 18:55

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Bit of a worry to find out that Lennon may have tried to sign whilst at Celtic - Beckford!

Worse still he also looked at Matt Mills!

And if that doesn't worry you he also looked at...

...Liam Trotter!!!

New Bolton Wanderers manager Neil Lennon has revealed that he tried to sign Trotters trio Matt Mills, Jermaine Beckford and Liam Trotter while at Celtic.

Lennon left his post with the Scottish champions this summer after guiding the club to a third-consecutive title, before replacing the outgoing Dougie Freedman at the Macron Stadium this week.

With the team sitting bottom of the Championship, having taken just five points from their opening 11 games, the Northern Irishman has a tough job on his hands, but is adamant that there is enough talent in the current crop to make an immediate charge up the table.

‘I had an interest in a few of the players during my time with Celtic,’ he told Yahoo Eurosport.

‘I know their qualities - I would have bought a couple if I could have done the deals and brought them up north.

‘That wasn't to be, but I look at the dressing room and look at the quality and experience and players who have played and been successful at this level; there's no reason why we can't put a consistent run together.

‘Results first and then performances after, that's what I'm looking for really.

‘I watched Matt Mills for a while and Jermaine for a while. Young Trotter was on the radar when he was at Millwall and Ipswich as well.’

Lennon admits that there is a lot of work to be done with a squad low on confidence, but believes a quick turnaround isn’t out of question if improvements are made in a few decisive areas.

‘At the minute there looks like there's a lack of creativity within the squad, maybe that's something we'll look at going forward and a little bit of pace as well maybe in the final third,' he added. 'Those players are hard to find sometimes but we'll endeavour to do that.

‘I like Mark Davies as a player. I had a word with him and told him how important he was to the team, the squad and myself going forward. The sooner we get him back, the better we'll be as a team as well.’

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Please God, let this just be a bit of kiddology on the part of Neil Lennon, in an attempt to boost their confidence in the hope that they all stop being so shit and actually start to look like professional footballers again.....

Rather than it being the truth.........please.............

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Lets see how he sets the team up and utilises/motivates these players. 

who knows what the problem was under Dougie for some of them.

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I bet you the players mentioned never become 1st team regulars under him.

bryan458

bryan458
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Lets make it a clean slate for everyone?????

except Pratters!!!!!!!

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I bet our players will totally change, remember Beckford for Leeds, Everton signed him for example.

Freedman didn't make any of our players better, only worse.

The worst Bolton Manager ever, look at his win rate, this is the new Bolton now.

NickFazer

NickFazer
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Every player will be given an opportunity, Beckford is a proven at Championship level and should be in the team. Mason and Beckford should be full of goals if they can get any kind of partnership going.

Last edited by NickFazer on Wed Oct 15 2014, 21:42; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Correcting jibberish)

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It's too late for the playoffs IMO, but a mid table finish at this stage is not no be sniffed at.

COYWM

Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

You really can't go off what has happened before when a new manager comes in.  There are two types of footballers in the championship,  consistently good ones who have the odd off day and average ones who can do better.

I do apologise for using Burnley as an example (YAWN) but we were letting in over two goals a game when the other manager was with us, and with the same defence the new manager turned it around and made them the meanest defence in the division.

The two forwards hadn't scored goals anywhere before, but they scored 47 between them. Two midfielders couldn't even get in  the Wigan or Huddersfield teams, yet they were our best last season.

Beckford hasn't always been poor, Mills hasn't always been poor and neither has Trotter. Footballers are very much confidence creatures and with the right framework, set up and tactics they may end up being excellent for the rest of the season.

I don't like Lennon though.  Very Happy

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

You have installed me with confidence , I'm so glad I don't have to watch the dross tactics anymore.

The Macron will be rocking the next home game! I bet Blackpool feel the worst after the best Manager we could've wished for has landed at our front door.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Copper Dragon wrote:You really can't go off what has happened before when a new manager comes in.  There are two types of footballers in the championship,  consistently good ones who have the odd off day and average ones who can do better.

I do apologise for using Burnley as an example (YAWN) but we were letting in over two goals a game when the other manager was with us, and with the same defence the new manager turned it around and made them the meanest defence in the division.

The two forwards hadn't scored goals anywhere before, but they scored 47 between them. Two midfielders couldn't even get in  the Wigan or Huddersfield teams, yet they were our best last season.

Beckford hasn't always been poor, Mills hasn't always been poor and neither has Trotter. Footballers are very much confidence creatures and with the right framework, set up and tactics they may end up being excellent for the rest of the season.

I can think of one or two Wanderers fans who also follow the Gers. As I see it, it doesn't really matter because the manager will be judged by results on the pitch and nowt else. I'm not a religious man and never have been. Football is my religion.

Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I don't follow Rangers Reebok Trotter, in fact I don't give a shite about any of them (although I've disliked Celtic since 1978) Scottish sides.

If you put a gun to my head and said I had to choose one then it'd be Motherwell because they have Claret in their colours.  :suicide:

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Copper Dragon wrote:You really can't go off what has happened before when a new manager comes in.  There are two types of footballers in the championship,  consistently good ones who have the odd off day and average ones who can do better.

Nice to see you talking sense for a change

Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Nice to see you stretching your posts out beyond  four words Boggers.  Very Happy

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I thought Boggers really did put time and effort in right there.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'm getting the feeling that NL feels he has something to prove in management which is a potentially a good thing. Offers for Premiership roles didn't stream in over the summer and I suspect he feels this is because Celtic's achievements are underrated south of the border despite having a decent record against English clubs, beating Liverpool last time out in 2013. We first played them in 1889!
Hopefully he will use that to motivate himself and the team.

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Only goal this season is to avoid relegation ..... that's the task at hand.  Anything else is bonus.

So far he is talking a good game but he still only has the same donkeys on the pitch to work with.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I know it's not a popular thought but I still feel there is real quality within our squad. If it's properly motivated and utilised I can see us truly being in the top half of the table by the end of this season and genuinely pushing for promotion next. 

Beckford can score, he proved that much at Leeds although he needs a good strike partner and proper service from midfield to really flourish. I can see him and Cravies or him and Mason being a very effective partnership. Get CYL out to the right wing, Mavies and Spearing in the centre and Ream out to left mid and I believe we have a real shot at being a much more potent attacking force. Goals win matches, we've been woefully short of them by playing on the back foot for far too long and I hope Neil Lennon will start looking to attack opposition teams rather than sit back and hope to nick something on a break the way Dougie did all too often.

Ream left mid? We've got Feeny and hall who can both play there why play a centre back. Like you've said above, if we are going on the assumption of no being able to get the best out of players surely he is going to play them in the right position to do so.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

y2johnny wrote:Ream left mid? We've got Feeny and hall who can both play there why play a centre back. Like you've said above, if we are going on the assumption  of no being able to get the best out of players surely he is going to play them in the right position to do so.
Because I'm a dense idiot who completely forgot about Feeny Very Happy

I dunno what happened there, some sort of mental block I guess and I picked Ream 'cos I know he's played midfield before. All I can say is it's been a long week mate. 

But yeah, you're absolutely right, Feeny or Hall on the left makes a lot more sense than my genius idea. Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum