Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

ON THIS DAY: Hierro's big decision and Vaz Te's first Premier League goal

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

We delved into the archives to find out what was happening at Bolton Wanderers on this day in history.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2005: FERNANDO Hierro promised Bolton fans he would soon make a decision on his future, regardless of whether Wanderers qualified for Europe.

The former Real Madrid captain told the Spanish newspaper, Marca: "I have still not decided if I will retire or continue for one more year here, but there is no third option. I will decide in two weeks.

"It does not depend so much on what the team achieves, but more about how I feel myself, how much I want it. What I am experiencing here is very nice.

"The support of the fans is unconditional and I have never seen a fan shout against one of his players. The atmosphere here is very special."

2006: Ricardo Vaz Te scored his first Premier League goal as Wanderers swept Charlton aside at the Reebok.

The Portuguese youngster turned in Hidetioshi’s cross 14 minutes in – and Wanderers lead was soon extended by Kevin Davies’s tap in and Jared Borgetti’s crisp finish.

Darren Bent briefly gave Alan Curbishley’s side some hope but Davies added his second in stoppage time to give Wanderers some renewed hope of a UEFA Cup spot, which had faded after a dull goalless draw at West Brom a few days earlier.

"We were unfortunate not to win at West Brom because of our finishing but we've turned it on today and after going four games without a goal to get four in one game is terrific,” Sam Allardyce reflected.

"Hopefully we can build on this with renewed confidence in our three remaining games and try and get that Uefa Cup spot.

"I'm delighted Ricardo Vaz Te got his first Premiership goal - it's about time because he's has plenty of other chances in the other games he's played for us.

"But it was Kevin Davies who was again our main man and he deserved his two goals."

1996: KEITH Branagan dashed to make a final Premier League appearance of the season after making a successful comeback for Bolton’s reserves against Newcastle United at St James' Park.

Colin Todd was on hand to watch the keeper, who had missed seven games with a knee injury, and defender Gerry Taggart, who had been missing since January with ankle ligament damage.

Todd was preparing to face Southampton in the final home game of the season without two of his key men – Sasa Curcic and John McGinlay – who had been away on international duty.

"It doesn't help when you don't have players with you when you are trying to prepare for a game and we won't have them back until Thursday," he complained.

1989: Wanderers beat Aldershot 1-0 to maintain their undefeated streak.

Robbie Savage scored the goal – which completed the double over Len Walker’s side – in front of 4,007 fans at Burnden Park.

The two sides have not met in a competitive fixture ever since.

1972: Wanderers were finishing their first-ever season in Division Three strongly - and remained unbeaten in six with a 1-1 draw at Brighton.

Garry Jones scored the equalising goal from the penalty spot against a side destined for promotion alongside Aston Villa.

1925: David Jack scored four goals for Wanderers against Blackburn Rovers in a 6-0 rout at Burnden Park.

Wanderers were finishing the season strongly and after beating Liverpool 2-0 the following weekend had a chance to finish second in the league for what would have been the only time in their history.

Sadly, a goalless draw at The Hawthorns on the final day of the season meant West Brom stayed ahead of Bolton, with both clubs tucked just in behind champions Huddersfield Town.

1893: The Lancashire Cup Final against Preston North End at Ewood Park was abandoned after a crowd invasion forced officials to pull the players off the pitch.

Wanderers were 2-0 down against Preston North End until the disturbance in the second half involving "many onlookers".

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum