Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Facemasks in shops

+7
karlypants
boltonbonce
xmiles
Sluffy
Norpig
Boggersbelief
okocha
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

21Facemasks in shops - Page 2 Empty Re: Facemasks in shops Wed Jul 15 2020, 02:42

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

wanderlust wrote:Fact is it would take an enormous upswing in deaths to stop Brits from huggin' and akissin' and generally invading each other's personal space especially after we've been starved of our regular diet of hugs, kisses and personal contact for a few months. The need for physical reassurance (grooming in monkeys) is ingrained in the British psyche which is why we have more deaths per capita than Brazil, the USA, Spain, Italy, Sweden, France - in fact more than every country in the world apart from Belgium which has a population that's a sixth of ours and is practically surrounded by foreign countries.

We're a small island FFS!!! HTF can the government fail to control it in what is effectively a lab?

Any government can only be effective through the acceptance and actions of the people it governs and it seems pretty clear, especially in regards to the millennial generation that many of them don't 'do' lockdowns, social distancing, masks, etc and much prefer to attend illegal gatherings/raves, go to the beach/beauty spots until they are crammed full to bursting and are out and about with their mates having fun, rather than following the rules.

That's how it is these days.

I know you hate the government and blame it for everything but people would have behaved very much the same under any government these days.

Do you think those people would have followed the rules if Starmer or even Corbyn had been in charge of a Labour Government right now?

Of course they wouldn't.

And with all the heightened sensitivity with BLM recently could you just imagine the rage on the streets would have been if the police/army/anyone even attempted to enforce 'the new normal' way we should all be behaving?

And fwiw I certainly haven't been brought up a 'hugger' or have a need for any social 'monkey grooming', I've never understood why people do it tbh, most of it is clearly fake and insincere and is basically a social greeting habit which used to simply be a handshake - or even just a nod of the head.

22Facemasks in shops - Page 2 Empty Re: Facemasks in shops Wed Jul 15 2020, 08:55

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

xmiles wrote:I agree with okocha that this is all about getting people more confident about going out and buying stuff on the high street.

The medical logic is all over the place though. You don't need a mask in a pub or restaurant or school but you now have to wear one in a giant supermarket although the staff don't. In my local supermarket most of the staff are filling trolleys for online shoppers, hardly any of them are behind tills so the queues at checkout are worse than the queues to get in.

Not happy about the compulsory nature of this but I will comply. It is particularly irritating if you wear glasses.

And you don't have wear a mask in an office. Even though you are in close proximity to others in a confined space for long periods of time. Can't see the logic or the science here.

23Facemasks in shops - Page 2 Empty Re: Facemasks in shops Wed Jul 15 2020, 11:12

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

xmiles wrote:

And you don't have wear a mask in an office. Even though you are in close proximity to others in a confined space for long periods of time. Can't see the logic or the science here.
I'm assuming that its because offices have to be made Covid compliant.

24Facemasks in shops - Page 2 Empty Re: Facemasks in shops Wed Jul 15 2020, 11:19

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

gloswhite wrote:
I'm assuming that its because offices have to be made Covid compliant.

But how do you do that if someone who has Covid can sit there breathing out the virus all day?

25Facemasks in shops - Page 2 Empty Re: Facemasks in shops Wed Jul 15 2020, 11:26

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

More Hancock gobbledygook and apparent illogicality. Plus: will ministers set an example or blatantly flout the laws as before?

"There is a difference between visiting a shop for a few minutes and working alongside colleagues at a desk for several hours," he said.
"When you're in close proximity with somebody that you have to work closely to, if you're there for a long time with them, then a mask doesn't offer that protection."
Facemasks in shops - Page 2 _113397476_truss_gove_eyevine_one_useCabinet ministers Liz Truss and Michael Gove appeared to take different approaches to face coverings on Tuesday

26Facemasks in shops - Page 2 Empty Re: Facemasks in shops Wed Jul 15 2020, 11:52

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

My wife's place of work, (and my old one), has desks that cater for at least 3 people.s Each one is separated by a screen, and the distancing rules are scrupulously observed. However, the offices are open-plan and the air conditioning passes the air all around the building. Even though the air is scrubbed before recirculating, nothing is 100% effective. I remember always getting colds whilst at work, and we all blamed the AC and the proximity of others. Nothing will hae changed poste Covid.
I am due to go back to my part-time job in the same building on 3rd August, but I will be away from the crowds mostly. I for one will be wearing a mask as often as I need, but I do think that to abandon them for convenience in the office isn't too smart, and wearing them should be encouraged depending on the area and the numbers involved.

27Facemasks in shops - Page 2 Empty Re: Facemasks in shops Wed Jul 15 2020, 13:37

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

okocha wrote:More Hancock gobbledygook and apparent illogicality. Plus: will ministers set an example or blatantly flout the laws as before?

"There is a difference between visiting a shop for a few minutes and working alongside colleagues at a desk for several hours," he said.
"When you're in close proximity with somebody that you have to work closely to, if you're there for a long time with them, then a mask doesn't offer that protection."

It actually does make some sense when you think about it.

Masks if they are not air tight basically gives limited protection to the wearer and those around them.

I've read that a rule of thumb is that it gives about a 80% chance of passing the infection and if you have the virus and wear a mask and 20% protection from others who have the virus.

Basically it is a physical barrier to block the larger 'germs' from when you (or someone else) coughs and sneeze.

However that isn't the only way you can catch airborne virus as there are the very fine spray from peoples breath that hang in the air for a much longer timeframe.

So if you are sat in an office with someone affected with the virus for six, seven, eight hours, then wearing a mask really won't stop you catching it sooner or later.

The way I reason it is how often I can smell scent/perfume, cigarette smoke, etc, that hangs in the air, even when the people wearing it/smoking them have long since passed by.

Of course wearing a mask must be better protection than nothing and I doubt an employer would stop people using them in the office but I would imagine if you have to share an indoor place with someone with the virus for several hours the chances are a mask isn't necessarily going to save you from catching to any great degree.

28Facemasks in shops - Page 2 Empty Re: Facemasks in shops Wed Jul 15 2020, 14:00

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

29Facemasks in shops - Page 2 Empty Re: Facemasks in shops Wed Jul 15 2020, 14:32

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Useful stuff but as a glasses wearer I would say the washing them in soapy water tip doesn't work. Best advice is to use surgical tape if you have it.

30Facemasks in shops - Page 2 Empty Re: Facemasks in shops Wed Jul 15 2020, 15:29

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Glad I read that, I was going to wear it round my chin otherwise.

31Facemasks in shops - Page 2 Empty Re: Facemasks in shops Wed Jul 15 2020, 16:05

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:Glad I read that, I was going to wear it round my chin otherwise.
Which chin?

32Facemasks in shops - Page 2 Empty Re: Facemasks in shops Thu Jul 16 2020, 10:15

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Yet another example of the confusion and completely illogical messages coming from this government:

https://metro.co.uk/2020/07/15/mass-confusion-whether-not-people-should-wear-mask-pret-12994540/

33Facemasks in shops - Page 2 Empty Re: Facemasks in shops Thu Jul 16 2020, 10:27

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

What is confusing you about having to wear a face mask in a shop from a week tomorrow?

Seems pretty clear to me.

34Facemasks in shops - Page 2 Empty Re: Facemasks in shops Thu Jul 16 2020, 10:36

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

For those with the issue of steamy glasses, you could always try and source a proper mask that will protect you like the one I have...

Facemasks in shops - Page 2 42614

35Facemasks in shops - Page 2 Empty Re: Facemasks in shops Thu Jul 16 2020, 10:41

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Natasha Whittam wrote:What is confusing you about having to wear a face mask in a shop from a week tomorrow?

Seems pretty clear to me.

So do you have to wear one when visiting Pret?

36Facemasks in shops - Page 2 Empty Re: Facemasks in shops Thu Jul 16 2020, 10:51

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

xmiles wrote:So do you have to wear one when visiting Pret?

From the 24th, yes.

Again, seems clear enough to me.

37Facemasks in shops - Page 2 Empty Re: Facemasks in shops Thu Jul 16 2020, 11:53

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Natasha Whittam wrote:

From the 24th, yes.

Again, seems clear enough to me.

Wrong!

Business Secretary Alok Sharma has added more confusion to the Government's mask policy after people are told they don't have to wear one in cafes - but are encouraged to.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/12139384/more-chaos-masks-sharma-pret-cafe/

38Facemasks in shops - Page 2 Empty Re: Facemasks in shops Thu Jul 16 2020, 12:14

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It really is very clear unless you want to be silly about it. Wear a mask when you go inside any establishment. Of course there will be exceptions.

Do you really need a ruling saying you can remove your mask to eat and drink?

Grow up.

39Facemasks in shops - Page 2 Empty Re: Facemasks in shops Thu Jul 16 2020, 12:24

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

You are missing the point, which is about the confusing and illogical guidance/legislation concerning the wearing of face masks, not whether or not I need guidance. The guidance/legislation really is not "very clear".

40Facemasks in shops - Page 2 Empty Re: Facemasks in shops Sat Jul 18 2020, 14:16

sunlight

sunlight
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

The Tories are quite clear on wearing masks, that they should/should not be worn in shops. As they have said it is very important that we do/do not wear a mask in a shop or indeed dont do this or not.
It is perfectly legal if you dont / do or do not wear a mask but if you agree to do this its fine as long as you realise this.
If its a cafe and you do or you dont remove your mask to eat you must/must not be nipping in for a quick bite or indeed for a takeaway!
So you are not/are exempt from wearing one even if its Gove who needs a line or not.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum