Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Antoni Sarcevic would be honoured to be named Bolton captain

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Antoni Sarcevic says it would be an honour for him to be named captain of Bolton Wanderers.

The influential midfielder has worn the armband for large parts of pre-season since his arrival at the club.

The captaincy has yet to be confirmed by head coach Ian Evatt but Sarcevic insists that if the responsibility was to extend from pre-season into the 2020/21 EFL campaign he would be delighted to accept.

“That’s down to the manager,” said the 28-year-old, who arrived at the UniBol as a free agent from Plymouth Argyle in the summer.

“For him to hand it to me in the games we’ve had up to now, they have been proud moments, but it’s only pre-season so we’ll see what happens.

“If the armband is handed to me for the season it will be a huge honour.

“It would be a massive achievement for me and it would mean a lot to me and my family.

“I’ve been given the armband at previous clubs for the odd game but I’ve never been captain.

“If I was to be captain of Bolton Wanderers it would be really special.”

And Sarcevic says he would relish the extra responsibility that comes with the role.

“I think you always have a responsibility anyway - any player on the pitch - but as captain you would have that bit more to get those message from the manager onto the pitch,” he said.

Sarcevic is expected to lead Wanderers out in their final friendly tonight. And he feels they are facing their toughest test of pre-season when they take on Crewe Alexandra at the UniBol.

Evatt’s side round off their pre-season programme with a first outing at home, in preparation for a run of three home games on the spin - in different competitions - when the campaign kicks off with the visit of Bradford in the Carabao Cup next Saturday.

Crewe won promotion to League One as League Two runners up last season, despite topping the table when the campaign was aborted in March due to Covid-19.

The Railwaymen dropped a place to second based on the points per game (PPG) method adopted to determine finishing positions, with Swindon Town ultimately taking the title.

And Sarcevic feels tonight’s behind closed doors fixture will be a barometer for Bolton.

“Pre-season has gone well but we are near the finish line now and it feels nice when the season is in touching distance,” said the midfielder, who had a spell with Crewe at the start of his professional career.

“Looking back 10 years ago when I first started to come through professional football they’ve changed.

“On paper this is our toughest test. They have won promotion and are a league above us but it’s an opportunity to put us in good stead.

“We are at our own ground so for a lot of the lads it will be fresh, to play at home for the first time.

“We’ve got Crewe again in the EFL Trophy so (tonight) is a good chance for us to see what they’re about.”

Bolton have four wins and one defeat in their friendlies so far, with defeat to Wigan Athletic on Tuesday ending their unblemished streak.

But Sarcevic feels that with so many new arrivals this summer - himself included, as well as a new manager - getting the team to gel has been the most important part of their pre-season programme.

“We’ve got 15 new players so the gaffer got us back in early to bed the new team in,” explained the former Fleetwood Town man, who helped to fire Plymouth to promotion from League Two with his 10-goal haul last season, and was named the club’s player of the year.

“It’s nice that there are so many newcomers and you’re not one of a few, but it’s one of those where we’ve got to get to know each other quite quickly to get ready for the new season.

“I’ve not played with any of them before, I just know the lads from playing against them. I didn’t know anyone personally.

“But things have been going well. The gaffer has delivered on everything he said to me before I signed and it’s been good.

“We’ve got the last pre-season game tonight, and then we’re ready to go on the 5th.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum