Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Tom White: Fans might have made difference in Bradford loss

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Tom White admits an empty UniBol made it tougher for Wanderers to switch up a gear against Bradford City in the Carabao Cup.

After falling behind in the first half to Lee Novak’s close-range finish, Antoni Sarcevic brought the Whites back into the game within a minute of the restart.

Under normal circumstances that would have raised the volume among home fans – but both Ian Evatt and White commented after the game that the lack of atmosphere may have played a part in the team failing to build on their equaliser.

“I can’t wait for the fans to come in because I haven’t played in front of as many as will come in here, so until I experience it, I probably can’t comment,” White said. “It’s just something I am looking forward to at the minute.

“But once we score that goal we should have controlled the game, gone on to win it., “I don’t know how many times they touched the ball in our box but it feels like it wasn’t very often, and yet they scored two goals.

“The fans not being here might have been a disadvantage but it’s not an excuse.”

White was one of Bolton’s best performers on the day, making his debut after a loan move from Blackburn Rovers this summer.

Last season he played under Evatt in the National League, helping Barrow secure promotion. And he feels some familiarity with the tactical demands may stand him in good stead in the early weeks of the season.

“In a way it helps,” he said. “I think I played 20 games with him last season, so it’s not as if I have played seasons and seasons. I am still learning every day, the gaffer and Pete (Atherton) are still teaching me things but I might be ahead of the curve.

“We have to work together at the end of the day, it’s not about individuals. You learn lessons together.”

Wanderers were by no means fluent against Bradford but White feels the team is making some headway, regardless of the result on Saturday.

A total of 17 players have been signed over the summer, meaning a bedding-in period is almost inevitable, and White is confident the team will soon put some results on the board.

“This is my first 90 minutes in six months, and it is the same for a lot of lads. It really is a work in progress,” he said. “The seed has been embedded and we will get better and we will win football games, no doubt about it.

“I think our goal every week should be to win football matches so we can’t be buzzing about the place if we get beat, everyone is aware of that.

“But there are positives to take, things to work on, things to analyse and so you can’t get too downbeat about it.

“Someone just told me there were 10 debuts handed out at the start, so we have only known each other six weeks. The progress I have personally seen has been very good and we are going up rather than down, but we don’t want to lose too many more matches.”

Tuesday night sees the visit of League One Crewe to the UniBol in the EFL Trophy and White is hoping he gets another chance to start, putting him in the right frame of mind for the League Two opener against Forest Green next Saturday.

“I’d play any game – in the park, on FIFA, out here, it doesn’t matter, especially after the long break,” he said. “There’s a chance now to start putting things right, two games, both at home.

“Win them, and things will feel better.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum