Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.


You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton Nuts » BWFC » Wandering Minds » Almost 400 traffic accidents in Bolton last year and they are still creating cycle lanes

Almost 400 traffic accidents in Bolton last year and they are still creating cycle lanes

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

sunlight

sunlight
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly
I wont go on a Bicycle on the roads as I might get killed. The roads arent safe. Not a chance will I ride about with what I see on the roads.
Are the Gov not-rights? They go on about health and safety and what have you over the smallest thing yet they want people riding Bicycles along utterly dangerous roads?
If it was work and you were in a factory, would they allow someone to ride a bicycle whilst heavy metal objects flew past you at large speeds?

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@sunlight wrote:I wont go on a Bicycle on the roads as I might get killed. The roads arent safe. Not a chance will I ride about with what I see on the roads.
Are the Gov not-rights? They go on about health and safety and what have you over the smallest thing yet they want people riding Bicycles along utterly dangerous roads?
If it was work and you were in a factory, would they allow someone to ride a bicycle whilst heavy metal objects flew past you at large speeds?
Isn't that the point of creating cycle lanes?
I'm all for them. Pedestrians are safer as they aren't getting hassled by cyclists, cyclists are safer because they aren't getting hassled by cars and people in cars need to stop killing the planet and each other and get a f****** bike, walk or use public transport. We are one of the most polluting and obese nations on the planet FFS.

sunlight

sunlight
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly
@wanderlust wrote:
Isn't that the point of creating cycle lanes?
I'm all for them. Pedestrians are safer as they aren't getting hassled by cyclists, cyclists are safer because they aren't getting hassled by cars and people in cars need to stop killing the planet and each other and get a f****** bike, walk or use public transport. We are one of the most polluting and obese nations on the planet FFS.

If you want to cycle next to drugged and drink drivers and the other assortment of criminal and dangerous driving you are welcome to it. Would you let your kids ride bikes on the main roads?

If there were no cars on the road Id ride a bike happily.



Last edited by sunlight on Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
I've seen quite a few of those motorised scooters lately and they seem fast! Are they actually allowed on the roads though?

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin
@Norpig wrote:I've seen quite a few of those motorised scooters lately and they seem fast! Are they actually allowed on the roads though?

Some are extremely fast!

No not private ones. -

E-scooters should be legalised on roads but riding on pavements should be prohibited, the Transport Committee of MPs has said.

Currently, privately-owned e-scooters are banned to use in the UK anywhere except on private land.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54380251

They are everywhere down where I live though, usually the macho youth's bombing about on the pavements not giving a fuck for anyone else.

Tbh I prefer them to the joggers and cyclist who too dominate the pavements and don't give a fuck for anyone else either because at least the scooter boyz aren't actually straining themselves at all and puffing and panting like the joggers and cyclists and thus are that less likely to be pumping out loads of coronavirus germs for me to catch.

I think it is a bit of a fad thing though and probably will see less of the boyz about as the weather turns colder but the bloody joggers and cyclists who do, do what they do for exercise or transporting theselves to and from work, will still be zooming past me no doubt.

I don't have any objections for them to jog and cycle, even on the payments for their own safety, it's the sheer ignorance and bullyboy tactics they use to force people out of their way as they somehow feel is their right to do.

Every now and again if the passing point is narrow I'll stand my ground and force them to stop or even slow down.  They tend not to like it and I get a bit of abuse but I simply say 'sorry mate, I'm old and just not fast enough to move any quicker than what I'm doing' I'm certainly much too old to be jumping into hedges or on to busy roads just to save them a few nanoseconds.

My daughter tells me I shouldn't be so stupid but I know enough to keep distance between me and them and only do it when there are other people about.

Fwiw it seems there are plans to change the highway code and part of it will be about cycling on pavements.  I didn't actually know that until I saw a little quiz the other day - I got 6 out of 9, - can anybody do any better - hopefully you all will!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-54027461

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Don't get me started on cyclists on the pavement Sluffy  Very Happy

sunlight

sunlight
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly
I read through those questions on changes to the highway code that you linked to, I wasnt aware of them. One of them particularly sounds to be making things dangerous.
No matter how much is written in the highway code, the roads have so many drug and drink drivers, and so much criminal and dangerous driving that I personally would never go near a road on a Bike. I used to ride bikes to keep fit, and never went near the roads. People out there are not abiding by them.
They need to stop the criminality on the raods before encouraging people to ride bikes amongst it. They are not doing this. For a long time now I am seeing in the funny papers where people are up for their twentieth driving offence, or what have you, for drug driving, dangerous driving, no insurance, no licence etc, and they give them a suspended sentence once more. That person is straight back out doing it again. No punishment.
They are not stopping this.



Last edited by sunlight on Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:11 pm; edited 2 times in total

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin
@Norpig wrote:Don't get me started on cyclists on the pavement Sluffy  Very Happy

I keep hoping to see a 'head on' collision between two cyclists and/or joggers/e-scooters on a narrow pavement somewhere when neither of them will give way to the other!

It's got to happen at sometime surely!

Very Happy

Banks of the Croal

Banks of the Croal
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
i stay off the roads mostly, pretty lucky where i live, there's just a short stretch of main road at the top of my street to negotiate then i can disappear across country on the tracks and usually finish up riding along the Leeds/Liverpool Canal, love it .

sunlight

sunlight
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly
@Banks of the Croal wrote:i stay off the roads mostly, pretty lucky where i live, there's just a short stretch of main road at the top of my street to negotiate then i can disappear across country on the tracks and usually finish up riding along the Leeds/Liverpool Canal, love it .
Well done to you. That sounds bliss. It is very good for physical and mental heaslth. Stay safe.

Banks of the Croal

Banks of the Croal
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
Thank's,  wish i'd started doing it years ago.



Last edited by Banks of the Croal on Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
I tend not to walk next to canals.

sunlight

sunlight
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly
@boltonbonce wrote:I tend not to walk next to canals.

Have you ever fallen in?

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin
@boltonbonce wrote:I tend not to walk next to canals.

Have you never fallen in?

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@Sluffy wrote:

Have you never fallen in?
Very Happy

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Have you tried walking along a cycle lane? 
Dryer edges IMO.

sunlight

sunlight
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly
A little off topic, but this is disgusting. More mindless violence from 10th generation feral Geese. I blame their parents.

Almost 400 traffic accidents in Bolton last year and they are still creating cycle lanes DVN1npY

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo
I started cycling maybe 10-20 miles most days round the start of the pandemic. It started with a few rides out round the streets and parks locally, but now most nights I'm finishing work and riding to Chorley, Bury, etc, and even ended up in Southport, Blackpool, etc, on occasions. It really is brilliant, even in the sort of weather we're starting to get now, and I wish I'd got into a lot sooner.

That said, I think this major campaign by the government to get everybody out cycling supposedly to help save the planet and tackle obesity and all the rest of it is just another indication of what a set of backward, untillegent fucks they really are. 

Obviously there's been a boom in terms of people taking up cycling, but ultimately cars are always gonna win. Even if they could convert 1% of drivers into bike riders, what material difference is that gonna make to anything, not to mention the practicalities.

sunlight

sunlight
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly
@doffcocker wrote:I started cycling maybe 10-20 miles most days round the start of the pandemic. It started with a few rides out round the streets and parks locally, but now most nights I'm finishing work and riding to Chorley, Bury, etc, and even ended up in Southport, Blackpool, etc, on occasions. It really is brilliant, even in the sort of weather we're starting to get now, and I wish I'd got into a lot sooner.


Well done to you. Thats a rarity these days.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@doffcocker wrote:I started cycling maybe 10-20 miles most days round the start of the pandemic. It started with a few rides out round the streets and parks locally, but now most nights I'm finishing work and riding to Chorley, Bury, etc, and even ended up in Southport, Blackpool, etc, on occasions. It really is brilliant, even in the sort of weather we're starting to get now, and I wish I'd got into a lot sooner.

That said, I think this major campaign by the government to get everybody out cycling supposedly to help save the planet and tackle obesity and all the rest of it is just another indication of what a set of backward, untillegent fucks they really are. 

Obviously there's been a boom in terms of people taking up cycling, but ultimately cars are always gonna win. Even if they could convert 1% of drivers into bike riders, what material difference is that gonna make to anything, not to mention the practicalities.
So me and the missus went out on our bikes tonight. We did about 5 miles but unfortunately ended up at the pub. Two bottles of Chenin Blanc later we attempted the last 200 yards. All good until the missus fell off as she turned into ours. She's OK. But I need to give her food. Although I suspect she'll crash out. We're supposed to be dieting after Portugal - although I'm almost down to 15 stone which is OK for my build. That said my fighting weight was 13.5 albeit a long time ago. Still it's a lot better than what I was when I got back.

sunlight

sunlight
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly
@wanderlust wrote:
So me and the missus went out on our bikes tonight. We did about 5 miles but unfortunately ended up at the pub. Two bottles of Chenin Blanc later we attempted the last 200 yards. All good until the missus fell off as she turned into ours. She's OK. But I need to give her food. Although I suspect she'll crash out. We're supposed to be dieting after Portugal - although I'm almost down to 15 stone which is OK for my build. That said my fighting weight was 13.5 albeit a long time ago. Still it's a lot better than what I was when I got back.

5 miles is a good effort. I hope she is well.

Sponsored content


Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum