Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Accidents at work

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Accidents at work Empty Accidents at work Thu Aug 25 2016, 12:04

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ever seen one?
A bloke at headquarters,where my brother works had a scissor lift fall on him this morning,ripped his knee wide open to the bone. One of the younger lads threw up.
He was eventually taken away,after being given gas and air by the ambulance crew,but it left people pretty shaken.
Health and safety will be all over it.
Although very accident prone myself,I've never really suffered one that was considered serious.
I'm glad I wasn't there to see this one.

2Accidents at work Empty Re: Accidents at work Thu Aug 25 2016, 12:17

Bread2.0

Bread2.0
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Sadly, during a 25 year career within the manufacturing industry, I've seen too many.

Fingers ripped off at the knuckle after getting trapped in moving conveyors, burns in bakeries, things falling from height onto people, FLTs hitting people and the worst one was a fatality at Nestle when a guy got killed instantly when a wrapping machine started up unexpectedly and more or less decapitated him.

I didn't see it happen but I was there within about a minute.

Truly fucking horrific.

I know we joke about H&S on here but it's there to protect people and it's far too easy to switch off and slip up.

(As I obviously know all too well.)

Hope the guy at your place makes a full recovery.

3Accidents at work Empty Re: Accidents at work Thu Aug 25 2016, 12:37

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

From what I can gather,it was a two man job,and he'd started on his own. Investigation has begun.

4Accidents at work Empty Re: Accidents at work Thu Aug 25 2016, 12:54

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

H & S is obviously a good thing for most people and I'm sure saves many lives and many more injuries, but there's always the fuckwit who thinks he/she knows best and ends up exactly like the guy in the original post.

5Accidents at work Empty Re: Accidents at work Thu Aug 25 2016, 16:30

Bread2.0

Bread2.0
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

The fuckwit comment's a bit strong, WGO.

The bloke at Nestle certainly wasn't one - He'd been there 30 years and knew what he was doing.

It was a systems fault on the machine that caused his death, not human stupidity.

Not trying to start a row because I have worked with plenty of fuckwits over the years who I wouldn't trust with a butter knife, just pointing out that sometimes you can be doing your job as per the SOP and still get injured or worse.

6Accidents at work Empty Re: Accidents at work Thu Aug 25 2016, 16:50

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

We can all get complacent. It's one of the reasons my brother refuses to lend me his circular saw.

Actually,I'm grateful. It's not only open water I have issues with.

7Accidents at work Empty Re: Accidents at work Thu Aug 25 2016, 16:53

Bread2.0

Bread2.0
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

boltonbonce wrote:We can all get complacent. It's one of the reasons my brother refuses to lend me his circular saw.

Actually,I'm grateful. It's not only open water I have issues with.

I think we may have identified the reason you seem to be so unfortunate in the personal injury stakes:

Operating a circular saw in a paddling pool is not advisable, mate.  Very Happy

Last edited by Bread2.0 on Thu Aug 25 2016, 17:10; edited 1 time in total

8Accidents at work Empty Re: Accidents at work Thu Aug 25 2016, 17:08

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'm OK at work,but I'm a bit jealous of my brother. He's a joiner,and it pisses me off that he can flaunt his macho tools about,leaving me looking like a bit of a lily with my dinky little mower.
Accidents at work Latest?cb=20150713160711
Accidents at work BScD4w

9Accidents at work Empty Re: Accidents at work Thu Aug 25 2016, 17:51

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

As a First Aider at work, the worst I had to contend with was a heart attack, although a few cuts and bruises presented themselves over the years. Not too much to worry about in the office  Very Happy

10Accidents at work Empty Re: Accidents at work Fri Aug 26 2016, 00:05

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Bread2.0 wrote:The fuckwit comment's a bit strong, WGO.

The bloke at Nestle certainly wasn't one - He'd been there 30 years and knew what he was doing.

It was a systems fault on the machine that caused his death, not human stupidity.

Not trying to start a row because I have worked with plenty of fuckwits over the years who I wouldn't trust with a butter knife, just pointing out that sometimes you can be doing your job as per the SOP and still get injured or worse.
Not saying every accident is a result of stupidity sorry if it came across that way but many are, people who think they know better or want to take short cuts and while they suffer the consequences in terms of injuries or worse the ripple effect causes many others to suffer too.

11Accidents at work Empty Re: Accidents at work Fri Aug 26 2016, 08:38

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

That's true. I've been guilty of it myself.
You become so comfortable with the equipment you're using,and every now and then you think you can take the odd liberty.
Always a mistake.

12Accidents at work Empty Re: Accidents at work Fri Aug 26 2016, 14:12

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

boltonbonce wrote:That's true. I've been guilty of it myself.
You become so comfortable with the equipment you're using,and every now and then you think you can take the odd liberty.
Always a mistake.

Sounds like married life  Very Happy

13Accidents at work Empty Re: Accidents at work Fri Aug 26 2016, 14:17

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958
Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!

gloswhite wrote:
Always a mistake.

Very Happy

14Accidents at work Empty Re: Accidents at work Fri Aug 26 2016, 14:18

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

gloswhite wrote:
Always a mistake.

Razz

15Accidents at work Empty Re: Accidents at work Fri Aug 26 2016, 21:38

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

gloswhite wrote:
Always a mistake.

If you're comfortable in married life you're doing it wrong, you're meant to be miserable & uncomfortable. If you don't believe me ask my ex wife she showed me the errors of my ways when I was happy

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum